Wonder how this will impact us?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Wonder how this will impact us?

Post by ViewsAskew »

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/iron ... ket-newtab

Iron Is the New Cholesterol
Elevated iron is at the center of a web of disease stretching from cancer to diabetes.

From Nautilus, by Clayton Dalton
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Re: Wonder how this will impact us?

Post by debbluebird »

A very long article. I got through part of it. It is interesting. My grandson eats a lot of cereal. I don't eat it much anymore. Of course there are other foods they add iron to. I eat mostly fresh. Very little processed food for me, except when I visit my daughter, sorry to say.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Interesting theory. While there is research that supports the author's hypothesis, there are also other explanations and the iron easily could be association rather than causation. I looked at a couple of references cited in the article, and the authors of the original research also admitted that other explanations were consistent.

He is correct: more research is needed. Don't go out and start donating blood based on this article. It easily could have been titled "Inflammation is the New Cholesterol," and it is easy to find lots of articles supporting that as well. Most of the suggestions of problems with slightly high ferritin levels could generally be explained by a less healthy life style. For instance, I wouldn't be at all surprised if blood donors are thinner, get more exercise and have a healthier diet than non-donors.
Blessings,
Holland

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

Yes, more research is needed.

But as for a possible risk, IDK. A positive correlation does not give any indication of a cause-effect-relation, and we do know that ferritin will go up for people with infections but also for some other risk groups (like people with high BMI). I might check out a few of the references given there, but the article doesn't convince me at all - my vague impression is that the author has no good grasp of statistics, and picks the cherries that fit his theories.

Personally I started to add iron supplements to my diet about 4 months ago, and I eat more meat, so I should consume a lot more iron than before. I do feel better however, blood pressure is better, triglycerides and cholesterol are better - and my ferritin level dropped in the same time from 220 to 180. Bottom line, at least for ferritin I'm not at all convinced that it is as good a marker for iron stores as we think. I think it's more likely that it's the other way around, certain conditions/infections cause ferritin levels to rise, and high ferritin is another symptom, not a cause.

I think we don't understand the role of iron well, and there are some misconceptions. I found it funny that the auther said that we are with iron now where we were with cholesterol 40 years ago - I have recently read a lot of very convincing arguments that cholesterol isn't really a problem, and while high cholesterol can be a side effect of unhealthy lifestyle (eating a lot of sugar and trans fats), it's not the other way around - high cholesterol alone may even be beneficial in some cases, there are studies that patients with high cholesterol have a significantly higher chance to survive after a cardiac infarction. In other words, people who lower their cholesterol levels will reduce their risk of (whatever) because they achieve this by eating healthier and possibly exercise more, but not because they have a lower cholesterol level.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

To me, there are two components regarding our population.

The first is how this perception - whether true or not - will affect us. If this gains steam, will it get even harder to get an infusion, for example? I agree with you per the cholesterol - but that is my point! How many people are trying to reduce it WAY below what used to be accepted as normal because we may be looking at it wrong. There are other markers that may be more important, but we don't test those.

The second is how it adds to what we know about iron and RLS. It likely doesn't tell us anything, yet. As noted, more research is needed.

Both are a wait and see - but I like to be forewarned of any new wars that may be coming our way! Here is hoping there is NO war coming! The opioid war is wearing me out all on its own.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.