RLS in Public

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

RLS in Public

Post by Polar Bear »

Today I was at an all day session 9.00 am - 4.30 pm for those newly diagnosed with Diabetes 2. Ten patients at the session, it was so informative and very interactive and generally light hearted. When my legs started i wiggled for a while then just said - Excuse me, I have RLS and have the need to stand up and stretch. No one blinked an eye, there was a comment of 'I get that at night, it's awful', and I stood leaning on the back of my chair doing leg stretches as the session continued. (RLS was briefly discussed and how it affects sleep i.e. how I only had 2 hours sleep last night).

Later during the morning, whilst seated, I could feel my eyes dropping. It was really difficult, I kept 'coming-to' and realising that I had drifted.... and this in an interactive session !!. The Nurse Educator realised I was struggling and we broke for lunch which resolved the matter. Hopefully I did not snore :) The point I'd like to make is that there was no embarrassment. I spoke up about needing to stand and stretch and everyone was quite accepting of it.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Re: RLS in Public

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think most times things are less of a big deal than they are in our heads! Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

Were the one diagnosed, or a family member? I had some adjusting to do when Steve was diagnosed.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Re: RLS in Public

Post by Yankiwi »

Excuse me, I have RLS and have the need to stand up and stretch.
I've said almost the exact same thing. People are usually sympathetic or know someone else with it. It's better to stand up than continue to writhe.