Inlfammation and RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
peanut1

Inlfammation and RLS

Post by peanut1 »

I have been reading a few things that inflammation is tied to RLS. I eat a very clean diet, but have had an enormous amount of stressful events in my life and stress increases inflammation. Curious to know if anyone has looked into this possible link.

debbluebird

Re: Inlfammation and RLS

Post by debbluebird »

I don't know about the link to RLS, but I agree with you, that a healthy diet reduces inflammation. All the people that I read about eating healthy are recovering from all sorts of health issues. From reversing diabetes to skin problems. Maybe if we are lucky it will help RLS too.
On another note, I'm getting very sick of being awake at night. I start getting sleepy around 10 pm. I go to bed, sometimes I fall asleep, other times I don't. If I do fall asleep it seems to be only for an hour or two. Then an hour later my spasms start with some RLS. I've tried adjusting the times of my methadone and gabapentin, but the hyperalertness is just there. I can usually go back to sleep around 2 or 3 am, but sometimes not. It can be 5 am. Then of course I sleep all morning. I hate this because it seems like I get nothing done. The day is gone before I get going. Sorry, I'm complaining again. It is weird though, once I go to sleep I'm sleeping pretty good. I have a hard time waking up unless my leg starts in again about 3 hours of sleep. So then I'm up again, then back to sleep for awhile.
It's constantly changing. I start thinking it's getting better, then it gets worse. Most of the time I have no energy. I force myself to do stuff. I would never be able to hold a job.
It's 4 am, I'm awake but feel tired. No RLS or spasms. I've tried to go back to sleep. I lay here.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It seems likely to me that there are people for whom inflammation IS a factor. Call it RLS type I. But, I don't believe it always is. I cannot have had inflammation when I was 2 or 3 and had PLMS. Or when I was 12 or 13 and had RLS. Now, in my fifties? Well, my RLS is much worse lately and I likely do have some inflammation as I have weird things happening, including eczema flares and other things indicative of inflammation. So, inflammation may be worsening it. And, diet (to be started soon) will hopefully reduce that. There is also a bit of info that SIBO may be involved - again, no idea if it is for all of us or some of us. And, why are there so many factors that are different but still all lead to RLS? It really is a fascinating disease.

We learn more all the time, so I could be completely wrong, lol!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

Inflammation causes increased ferritin levels, so it does something to our iron stores. Of course we have no clue (yet) what exactly that something is :)