Insomnia

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Re: Insomnia

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:It seems like the world is getting worse.
That it does :-(.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I really hate insomnia just as much as leg issues. My legs are calm and have been for awhile. Now I just can't sleep. I'm able to sleep in the morning. I've limited that amount thinking it would help so I could go to sleep at night. This is my third night in a row. Usually it only happens every few nights. I feel tired.
Well tomorrow I have to be up before 8 am, I have an appt, so not too much sleep then.
I am grateful my RLS and spasms are quite. It's been since Dec 21st. One month yesterday. I don't even know why. I guess that doesn't matter. Other than looking for reasons all these years. 1990. I'm afraid to wean down on meds. So I won't do that.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm a person who used to get 9 to 10 hours every night before RLS. I'm averaging much less now.

QyX

Post by QyX »

debbluebird wrote:I really hate insomnia just as much as leg issues. My legs are calm and have been for awhile. Now I just can't sleep. I'm able to sleep in the morning. I've limited that amount thinking it would help so I could go to sleep at night. This is my third night in a row. Usually it only happens every few nights. I feel tired.
That's how my situation was for many years before I started using medical Marijuana. While opioids and antiepileptics are amazing for physical RLS symptoms, RLS related pain and the urge to move, those drugs never did much for my insomnia.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I saw my Pulmonologist today. He manages my bipap and sleep. He told me that there have been changes in how they read sleep. I have obstructive and central sleep apnea. He thinks it's more central. He ordered another sleep study. No also live at 8,000 ft, plus taking methadone. These contribute to the central sleep apnea. I have been having more trouble lately. If it turns out the way he thinks, I could be eligible for an implant to control the central sleep apnea. I would not have to use my bipap machine any more. Or if I still have significant obstructive sleep apnea, then I would just need the mahine for that, but not at the high pressures I have now. He said he was very hopeful for me. That gave me hope. I have such a hard time going to sleep wearing the mask. Plus all the other issues that I'm having due to the length of time, wearing the mask.
Sleep study is scheduled for Feb 26. We will be going to Estes Park, which is at 7,522.ft. Three hours from us.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Deb, you're doing so well. Your WED/RLS symptoms used to be so dreadful. It's wonderful that they've abated.

Still, insomnia sucks. It's worse when you're awake because you're being tortured, but it still sucks to be awake when you need to sleep. I hope you can deal with it somehow. Maybe the marijuana route?

I would not be able to sleep at night without zopiclone. I would only be able to sleep in the morning. I just did that over Christmas for a couple of weeks and I had no trouble falling asleep at 6 AM, but before that - forget it!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

On my Dr's wishes i am prescribed zopiclone 7.5mg every other night and find I gain only about an extra hour....on a good night.

Even so, on a good night the pattern is a couple of hours sleep and then awake until around 6am when I might get 3 or 4 hours sleep. No really much different than without the zopiclone.
Sometimes even with zopiclone I can have a night with no sleep.

I am retired and do occasional paid employment but just can't continue to do so. It is too much stress wondering if I will manage some sleep on the night/s before working. It's a blessing that I managed to keep working through it all until retirement. Indeed it was so overwhelming that I had reduced to 3 days pre retirement.

The plus point is that although I continuously battle my way through each night, I am retired, and feel so much for those of you who continue to need to be gainfully employed.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

badnights wrote:Deb, you're doing so well. Your WED/RLS symptoms used to be so dreadful. It's wonderful that they've abated.

Still, insomnia sucks. It's worse when you're awake because you're being tortured, but it still sucks to be awake when you need to sleep. I hope you can deal with it somehow. Maybe the marijuana route?

I would not be able to sleep at night without zopiclone. I would only be able to sleep in the morning. I just did that over Christmas for a couple of weeks and I had no trouble falling asleep at 6 AM, but before that - forget it!
My memory is so bad. I forget that the only reason I've been able to sleep more lately is that it's winter. I do very little in the winter. I sit in the recliner. In the summer I work outside and my leg gets worse. Then less sleep.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wow, interesting, Deb. Looking forward to hearing how that all works out. I didn't even know such a thing existed.

And, Betty, I don't know how you do it. The older I get and the longer I've had this, the less tolerance my body has for extended periods without sleep. You must be exhausted.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

He ordered another sleep study. No also live at 8,000 ft, plus taking methadone. These contribute to the central sleep apnea. I have been having more trouble lately. If it turns out the way he thinks, I could be eligible for an implant to control the central sleep apnea.
Deb, I don't know how I missed the part of your message about the implanted device. I looked it up and it looks very interesting.

I see Dr Tsai in two weeks and I expect to walk out of there with orders for another sleep study and maybe a few other tests. After everything that has happened to me since the Thanksgiving holidays, I am certain that something needs to be done. My last full sleep study was done when I was living at sea level and before I started taking opioids. Now that I live at 6000 ft and have been on opioids for four years, it is high time that another sleep study is done to find out why I am not getting the rest that I need in spite of being in bed for over 8 hrs a night. Hopefully it will be as simple as adjusting my APAP machine's settings or replacing it with a BiPAP. We will see, but something needs to be done because my last few months have been miserable.
Steve

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My GP wants me to see a neurologist wrt my rls/imsomnia. Specifically insomnia.
I wanted a sleep study. She says neuro.
(Dr B also says sleep study)
My legs are much better controlled since weaning off ropinerole hence I'm now pushing on the insomnia.

I have a neuro appt for 9 March and will bring up with him the possibility of a sleep study. I don't have confidence in this neuro but will follow GPs instructions in the meantime (I may have posted this before and apologies if that his the case.)

However, in the meantime I had a lightbulb moment when realising I haven't had symptoms in my arms for a long time.
Hopefully this is as a result of coming off ropinerole
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Rustsmith wrote:
He ordered another sleep study. No also live at 8,000 ft, plus taking methadone. These contribute to the central sleep apnea. I have been having more trouble lately. If it turns out the way he thinks, I could be eligible for an implant to control the central sleep apnea.
Deb, I don't know how I missed the part of your message about the implanted device. I looked it up and it looks very interesting.

I see Dr Tsai in two weeks and I expect to walk out of there with orders for another sleep study and maybe a few other tests. After everything that has happened to me since the Thanksgiving holidays, I am certain that something needs to be done. My last full sleep study was done when I was living at sea level and before I started taking opioids. Now that I live at 6000 ft and have been on opioids for four years, it is high time that another sleep study is done to find out why I am not getting the rest that I need in spite of being in bed for over 8 hrs a night. Hopefully it will be as simple as adjusting my APAP machine's settings or replacing it with a BiPAP. We will see, but something needs to be done because my last few months have been miserable.

Yes, I'd say it's time you had another sleep study. There is also an implant for obstructive sleep apnea. I have more central sleep apnea. I hope I qualify for the implant for central sleep apnea.
Right now I'm visiting my Sister and Daughter. They live at 5,500 ft. I live at 8,100 ft. I'm sleeping better. 4 hour segments, instead of waking up every 1 or 2 hours.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Polar Bear wrote:However, in the meantime I had a lightbulb moment when realising I haven't had symptoms in my arms for a long time.
Hopefully this is as a result of coming off ropinerole
That's great ! Now if you can adjust your meds to reduce the insomnia. I still think that if you schedule your meds more around the clock, that it would help. It helped me.
Good luck.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Deb....I do take my meds around the clock.

Zopiclone every other night. Last night was a zopiclone night and I got to sleep around 6am. Up at 8 with toddler who was on a sleepover.
Also lyrica twice daily, one at bedtime which is also supposed to aid sleep.
I am very resistant to sleep aids.
Betty

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Sorry, I don't know why I thought otherwise.