Board activity

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Board activity

Post by ViewsAskew »

It seems that lately we've has some unusual things happen here. The board was taken down by hackers, we have people posting spam for the first time, and troll activity has increased. I have asked the Foundation to help us by removing such posts, but I also believe that we need more than that. I admit to participating in 6 stained glass board, 2 other art boards, and 3 RLS boards (here and two Yahoo groups). All of the successful boards have at least some type of a moderator. This doesn't mean a nsty person with a big stick, but someone that would handle these types of things.

Just as the Foundation reviews people to be support group leaders, they could create a support group moderator for the board. This person would have the authority to lock a thread when things get out of hand ( not needed yet) and delete and block troll and spam posts.

If anyone else dislikes these posts and wants a way to remove them - at the very least someone whom we can email directly - please email the foundation and let them know. None of us wants to deal with the problems that spam and troll cause.

Ann

LadyFox

Post by LadyFox »

Ann, I just sent them an email. I'm new here, but already finding some questionable postings, let alone the hack attack from the other other week. Thanks for pointing out the need for moderators. It will be helpful and hopefully, there will be people with the time to help out.

Laurie

Kris

Post by Kris »

Spam has picked up all over the place. I'm on over 20 homeschool boards and lists, and they've all been getting spammed.

What happened with the hacking is that the board was outdated, and it got captured in a google check. Hackers use the google api to harvest boards that are vulnerable to recent exploits.

Also, I'm not sure that I recall that this board had any sort of visual authentication for registration. I can't remember. That's when you have to enter a visual code to submit a new registration. That is getting to be important for spam control.

I used to be the webmaster for a university site. I had boards all over the webserver, but I'd insist that I set them up personally and I would never allow any HTML and I'd hack at them myself every now and then. I would turn the BBCode off myself - I don't think anyone is using it? I also would not let guests posts. Hate that, but you take the time to register or you don't post.

Hackers are all over collegiate sites. I had to be very careful. They all want to own edu's.

PhPBB has had a lot of trouble historically. I always used Invision Power Board. Almost all of the MySQL/PHP boards have a lot of past problems though. You really have to keep them up.