Diet

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
XenMan

Re: Diet

Post by XenMan »

debbluebird wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:58 am
Since losing this weight, I have not had any RLS. It's been 2.5 weeks since my last RLS episode and I really can't believe it. It's got to be that the weight is not pulling on my back. My RLS stems from my pinched nerves in my back.
Well done, welcome to a new world.

There are many people like you that have the RLS symptoms from a physical site. On another forum, someone had a condition from excessive calcium, which produced a deposit and something I can't remember the name of. It was removed, and symptoms gone.

We are all hoping this is the new normal for you.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I used to exercise for most of my life. Then as I approached 50, things began to change. I had been walking 3 miles a day. My osteoarthritis started getting bad. I started having joint replacements. I now have had 6 replacements, plus a back infusion.
After losing this 20 pounds, I'm now back to where I was in 1998. The start of all the surgeries.
Prior to to that I was even 40 pounds lower. That first surgery put 20 pounds on me. The second another 20 pounds, hence the 40 pounds. Both times I was bedridden for 2 and 3 months.
So in other words, I'm back to where I used to be before Ip had gained the 40 pounds. After that I gained another 30 and then another 30. It sounds crazy when I say it.
I was up and down after that. RLS meds played a factor in my gaining. Mirapex and gabapentin.
Recently I have been able to increase my exercise. 10 days ago I was able to use my standing walker and walk 1 mile.
Yesterday I walked a little over a mile with my cane, over a trail at Chaco Canyon. I was so surprised. It had been so hard before. I had always tried to increase my walking, but failing.
All I'm doing is counting calories. Not starving. Reducing the salt, so few packaged foods. 1200 to 2000 calories and exercise.
I feel really good. I'm 72.

Lissa496

Post by Lissa496 »

That is fantastic, I hope keeping your weight off continues to keep your RLS at bay!

wesleepbetter

Post by wesleepbetter »

debbluebird wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:58 am
Since losing this weight, I have not had any RLS. It's been 2.5 weeks since my last RLS episode and I really can't believe it. It's got to be that the weight is not pulling on my back. My RLS stems from my pinched nerves in my back.
I just find this very interesting. In the past, I always thought that when I went to exercise class, I'd have some RLS. That seemed to be a pattern. Now I have been going to class M - F and doing a lot of walking, what also always seemed to he a trigger. I'm still not having any RLS.
Now granted it's only been 2.5 weeks since the loss, but I'm very interested in seeing what's going to happen.
I haven't been at this weight since 1999. Before I gained this weight, at that point, I was taking mirapex and it didn't always help my RLS.
So this time period is also the difference between a DA and an opioid .
I realize that other people's RLS may not be caused from pinched nerves.
Hi debbluebird, how's your RLS now?
Is it still gone with the weight loss?
Are you maintaining the new, reduced weight?

I am very interested to find out,
as I suspect my case to be a pinched nerve as well (PLMD appearance a month after strong spinal massage and hiking).

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

My RLS continues to be improved. I had a flare up in Aug, but it's gone now. My RLS ended after my last back injection. It's been 12 weeks this Thursday, since my last injection. I'm going to wait awhile to see what happens, to see whether RLS comes back.
Before the weight loss, I'd still have some RLS after injections. It seems it would only help a week or so.