does rls symptoms affect your arms

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
CARY

does rls symptoms affect your arms

Post by CARY »

not sure if i have rls, but certain i do, although so far it only affects me about once a month. my question is can a person have the same symptoms in their arms as well as their legs?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Cary, the search function here isn't the greatest, but there are lots of past posts on arms - yes many people have it in arms and all over the body.

Here's a recent post: http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1006

Ann

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

Yes a person can have their arms affected like their legs. However it is more common for that in a person who has a severe case of rls but I am not saying it couldn't happen to someone having a less severe rls.
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!

Post by Guest »

I have RLS in my arms. I've had it in my legs since grade school (I'mnow 38). I was an adult before it made its way to my arms. I think my arms are more frustrating than my legs. For my legs I can simply stand up, for my arms doing handstands isn't real convenient, not that I haven't done them though. My dr. said it makes sense because RLS just gets worse as you get older. I don't look forward to old age!!

trevb

Post by trevb »

is there evidence that rls ALWAYS gets worse with age? or does it depend on the individual? my rls i have had since i was very young (38 now) and it hasnt got worse so far!!!
trev

Post by Guest »

answering my own question here... just talked to my mum and she has told me she has restless legs too.... her symptoms have not got worse!! so theres hope!!!

trev

Kris

Post by Kris »

I have severe RLS - it is in my hips - especially my right hip, both feet, lets, and my lower back - right side -and my left arm. NOT arms, just the left one. I am always stretching and rubbing it at night. Thought it was carpal tunnel but tests were negative. When the doc held my hand down - nothing, but after 2 or 3 minutes it got antsy.

TxSongBird

Post by TxSongBird »

I too have severe RLS in my legs, hips, arms and shoulders as well as my feet, especially on my left side. Sometimes I feel like I could swing the arms and legs involuntarily and whack someone up against their head. I feel out of control when I have this sensation and pain. I am a very active person so it doesn't come from just sitting around all day, it is a daily occurrence with me.

Donna
Donna

DrWass2

yes..restless leg of the arm

Post by DrWass2 »

I have the creeepy crawly kind of restless leg. usually the legs but it can go up first calves then to thighs...real bad when it goes to the groin...(nothing to move to relieve the sensation...I keep trying to urninate). sometimes but rarely the arms and sometimes the wrists ( but that may be more of my ganglion problem, which seems to randomly goes up and down).
So to answer your question...yes, arms can be involved, more rare than legs but can happen in the arms.....looking into some arm compression sleeves since the compression stockings helps with the legs.... still looking for cure to the groin problem....experimenting with very tight long leg girdles...so far seems to help.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Ain't nuthin like an RLS Attack that hits you from all directions!! Hips to toes and shoulders to fingers ... gotta luv it ... not!!

Yup, RLS surely can be felt in the arms ... you might want to check out the thread under the New To RLS Topic called "New Members and Current Members Please Help" http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=192 where a lot of our members (and i hope a lot more add to it sometime soon!!) have listed out their symptoms and cocktails as well as other ailments they are dealing with.

I hate it when my arms join in on the action ... it's THE MOST frustrating of all frustrations when you want to chop off all four major limbs simply due to not knowing "where to put them". Those attacks are thankfully pretty rare now that i've learnt more about RLS and "listen" to my body but when they do hit, can cause a pretty good attack of anxiety as well.

As for the side-topic of RLS getting worse ... i've had it since i was born ... and it's definitely worse now than when i was a child ... and is becoming increasingly harder to stay on one cocktail that actually works for an extended period of time before either augmentation sets in OR side-effects set in (e.g. 2 week chronic kidney infections). I'm not game to looking into the crystal ball to find out if mine will get worse still ... i'm happy enough to take things one day at a time and enjoy each day that I don't have any symptoms.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Flavius

Post by Flavius »

The arms are way worse than the legs but my left chest is even worse cause you can't stretch your chest or beat on your chest
I wish to G-d that the doctors that have been useless to me over the years could have extreme rls so they could have a miserable life

Nan

Post by Nan »

As the others have said, the answer is unfortunately yes, you can have it in your arms. I have it in my legs, low back, torso and arms. There are times when I am contorting and/or jerking my whole body at night. Yuk!!!!

And I can't imagine this getting worse!!! Ayeeeee!!!

becat

Hi there Nan

Post by becat »

Hi there Nan,
Glad to see you.
Yes, RLS is a whole body issue. My arms are different than my legs. I had somewhat gotten use to my legs and the pain.......the normal of this stuff.
My arms are new in the last two years and are sometimes hard to deal with. While on vacation this summer I knew they were tired and worn out. You know that I've carried my purse far too long and why do I need all this in my purse anyway! :D On one special evening we were all dressed up and I wore a sleeveless dress.......I got this twitch in my arm that everyone could see. In fact they couldn't take their eyes off it......LOL it's was maddening but I just had to laugh. Showered, Dressed Up, hair and makeup and all.........My arm got the attention. I did, I had to laugh, it's the only thing that made it manageable that night.
I know, I'm only 41 and this side of severe.......what does the future bring? Like everyone else I try to keep up hope.......there are some days it's harder than others.....
I'm so glad we have each other here. It's make a world of difference to me.
Hugs to you all.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Don't know if you REALLY need ONE MORE....but Yes.

Not daily like my legs...but when it's in the arms it's like Sardsy says...you wanna cut em off.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Becat and other members,

I don't think we must think of the future too often. It's unbearable. I don't believe in a cure, but do in better meds/therapies. But when? I want them NOW!
Until that time I guess we will have drug holidays all the time, changing our meds etc. Another reason for trying not to look forwards.

Anyway, have a nice day!

Corrie