When Do Symptoms Occur? And, For How Long?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Oozz

When Do Symptoms Occur? And, For How Long?

Post by Oozz »

Hi,

I’m just trying to get a better understanding of my symptoms relative to others. I’m 34, I only seem to have symptoms for 2-3 hours a day, usually from 2-4AM.

When do your symptoms occur? And, how long does it go on for? Was this always the case? If not, how has it progressed?

Polar Bear

Re: When Do Symptoms Occur? And, For How Long?

Post by Polar Bear »

Oozz - My RLS is severe in my legs, usually the right leg. Occasionally in the arms. I've had it for some 30+ years. I take medication spread over the 24 hour day, less in the morning and more in the evening. Also during the night.
Without medication I would have constant symptoms. At least that is how it was and I assume still is.
I can recall clearly my very first RLS episode in my legs and it didn't take long to progress to my arms. Perhaps a couple of years.

My symptoms also quickly progressed to 24/7 before I ever started taking medication. In those days it was before the RLS Discussion Board and I would not have known how to treat my sumptoms. I drank cola, coffee, alcohol etc All known to be triggrs. I would have taken over the counter medications that would have been a trigger.

Following medication I improved but it took a long time to find what worked best and it still is not perfect.
I now sleep about 4 hours per night in 2 x 2 hour naps approximately. However, as well as insomnia I have untreated sleep apnea.
I also have several unrelated chronic conditions.
I'm female aged 71 years.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

We can probably close this thread because the most recent survey addresses my questions.

tagalongbuddy

Post by tagalongbuddy »

I know when a reaction is starting because I cannot sit down or lie down. Once it starts, it can be quite some time before subsiding. (maybe an hour) I have to stand or walk and alternate often. This is much more likely to occur late afternoon or evening. The medication helps prevent the reactions.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I'm also a 71 year old female. My symptoms are in my calves, sometimes in the evening if I sit too long but always every 1.5 to 3 hours when I wake up. Every time. I need to stay up for at least an hour walking, stretching, rubbing, stomping etc while reading or watching Netflix on my iPad mini. Last night was a good one, seven hours in four segments over 10.5 hours. I didn't have to get up today but most days I wouldn't have had that last two hours of sleep.
I take .25 of ropinerole, two x 60mg codeine, iron, magnesium and liquid B12. I told my doctor the codeine seems like a placebo a lot of the time and she said that does happen. I just started on gabapentin, only 100mg for now. It has helped some but not much. After a month I'm going to ask for the dose to be increased. Kratom and cannabis (at least not legally) are not available in New Zealand.

queen

Post by queen »

Mine start about 5 pm if I do not take meds. If I wait to take meds, they do not work as well. “Chasing” RLS does not work for me. I also get worse symptoms after going to bed about 9:00 pm.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

queen wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:41 pm
Mine start about 5 pm if I do not take meds. If I wait to take meds, they do not work as well. “Chasing” RLS does not work for me. I also get worse symptoms after going to bed about 9:00 pm.
I missed my main meds at 4 PM. Took them around 8 PM. It's now 4 AM and I am still awake. Taking medication late is HORRIBLE.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.