Great news! I get to see Dr. Rye!

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
SleepyBhamster

Great news! I get to see Dr. Rye!

Post by SleepyBhamster »

I posted this in a different thread yesterday, but since it got no views, I'm creating this new topic. I am rather new to these boards: joined RLS.org in August, but only started here last month. Had considerable difficulty trying to get infusions for low ferritin, but my rheumatologist came through for me and I started infusions this Tuesday.

As though that weren't enough to make me happy, yesterday (Wednesday) I received a phone call from Emory University in Atlanta, GA that Dr. Rye had a cancellation and could see me next week! (I live in Birmingham, AL, about 2.5 hours away.) I had called them a week or two ago to see if I could get in but figured that with the huge backlog at Emory it would take until well into next year to get to see him. I was extremely excited to get to see him so soon but took a chance and asked if there were any chance he had an opening during my husband's vacation time in 2 weeks. Another miracle: they had a cancellation there as well!

I don't know how many of you believe in the power of prayer, but my husband and I have been praying a special 54-day novena (Catholic-speak for what is usually 9 days of prayer, but this was a super duper novena). Things were looking very very bleak during most of it, but here I am with 6 days to go and I've not only got iron infusions but I've got an appointment with an RLS rock star! Was it ViewsAskew who told me about Dr. Rye actually having RLS himself?

So happy today!

Celine

Rustsmith

Re: Great news! I get to see Dr. Rye!

Post by Rustsmith »

You are correct that it was ViewsAskew that mentioned Dr Rye's RLS. I have not met Dr Rye, but I understand that he takes a very comprehensive approach to treating RLS that involves even more than some of the other experts. If not for issues with air travel by seniors these days, I might have tried to get an appointment with him recently even though I am very happy with my own doctor.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Excellent news, SleepyBhamster! I'm so glad you're getting good treatment & good doctors!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So many things looking up for you, SleepyBhamster!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SleepyBhamster

Post by SleepyBhamster »

ViewsAskew wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:19 am
Yes indeed! Now if I could just do something about the piriformis pain that is also making sleep uncomfortable AND the headache I've been waking up with every morning...

I tried to talk to my rheumatologist about those as well, but apparently he figured he had done his job in getting me set up for infusions. He just got up and left the room and that was that. My husband and I thought he had an urgent need for the bathroom, but I guess that's his new way of saying This Visit is DONE. :roll:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

SleepyBhamster wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:18 pm
ViewsAskew wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:19 am
Yes indeed! Now if I could just do something about the piriformis pain that is also making sleep uncomfortable AND the headache I've been waking up with every morning...

I tried to talk to my rheumatologist about those as well, but apparently he figured he had done his job in getting me set up for infusions. He just got up and left the room and that was that. My husband and I thought he had an urgent need for the bathroom, but I guess that's his new way of saying This Visit is DONE. :roll:
I have had pain that could have been piriformis, also - horrible, isn't it? I tend to get nasty trigger points all over (in addition to the tender points from fibro) and it is always bad in my hips and sometimes buttocks. Specific trigger point massage helps with the piriformis area, but I found yoga was exceptionally helpful. Hope you find some relief - it really is miserable.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS