Inspire sleep device

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
PLR111

Inspire sleep device

Post by PLR111 »

Does anyone have a recommendation or not for the implanted device supposedly takes the place of cpap. It's called Inspire. Because of refractory RLS I cannot use cpap. I have an appointment with the only Dr. In Tulsa area in 3 months. Any advice appreciated.

debbluebird

Re: Inspire sleep device

Post by debbluebird »

I was supposed to look into that but then I moved. I was told you have to be under a certain weight. That's all I know about it. There is another one for central sleep apnea too, that does not require a normal weight.
Good luck
Last edited by debbluebird on Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I was not familiar with Inspire. It looks interesting but my sleep apnea isn't serious enough to warrant surgery.

But I am interested in why you cannot use CPAP due to refractory RLS. I have refractory RLS and use a CPAP. In fact, every time that I see my doctor, she asks me to confirm that I am using it because she is concerned by the combination of sleep apnea and opioids. She wants to see my CPAP records, but we haven't figured out how to do that since I bought my own machine and apparently she doesn't have the software to read the memory chip from my machine.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

PLR111

Post by PLR111 »

My RLS is so bad even the opioids It just takes the edge off the torture. All I don't need is one more thing to make me irritable at night especially a mask and blowing air. I have had agreement from many many ,many in the RLS community that's it's not apnea that's going to kill me! I know apnea is bad but I just can't deal with it. The sleep labs I've been to can't deal with the RLS questions. Only if you are tortured can you possibly understand. I would ask them . How will cpap work if I can't stay in bed? Do I wear it around the house? I only sleep 1-3 hrs a night broken sleep. The medical community doesn't understand. The RLS foundation is doing a phenomenal job helping us to educate Doctors but many are offended when you question them. I've seen Dr. Walter's at Vanderbilt's Quality Care Center. He and my local Dr.are awesome. They understand the dilemmas with CPAP and severe RLS. If you are able to wear it that's great. Keep it up!