Treating hives without antihistamines?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
SleepyBhamster

Treating hives without antihistamines?

Post by SleepyBhamster »

I sincerely hope this will not be the case, but I just finished a 7-day course of amoxicillin yesterday morning and am afraid I might be starting to have a rash from it. It was my husband who made the connection as I was only thinking of my lupus and sun sensitivity and wondering why I seemed to have a bad sun-related rash when I am always so careful to cover up. It makes much more sense that this is from the antibiotics.

Right now, in bed with the lights out, I'm unable to sleep because I'm feeling the hot stinging that comes with a rash--but hoping it's just my imagination. I had head-to-toe hives from penicillin 20 years ago and it was miserable. I have no recollection of how it was treated back then, but I can't imagine how it could be treated now that I have RLS. Anyone know if there are any alternative treatments other than antihistamines?

Rustsmith

Re: Treating hives without antihistamines?

Post by Rustsmith »

Perhaps others will have better suggestions. I say that because although I have very severe respiratory allergies, the only skin "allergies" that I have are to poison ivy.

You can find a number of topical products for treating skin allergies. I think that many are oatmeal based to dry the skin, but there is also calamine lotion. You might also want to try one of the non-sedating antihistamines. These are generally not a problem for those of us who have RLS and allergies. The tradenames for these products are Zyrtec, Claritin and Allegra and there are generics available for all three.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

SleepyBhamster wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:56 am
I sincerely hope this will not be the case, but I just finished a 7-day course of amoxicillin yesterday morning and am afraid I might be starting to have a rash from it. It was my husband who made the connection as I was only thinking of my lupus and sun sensitivity and wondering why I seemed to have a bad sun-related rash when I am always so careful to cover up. It makes much more sense that this is from the antibiotics.

Right now, in bed with the lights out, I'm unable to sleep because I'm feeling the hot stinging that comes with a rash--but hoping it's just my imagination. I had head-to-toe hives from penicillin 20 years ago and it was miserable. I have no recollection of how it was treated back then, but I can't imagine how it could be treated now that I have RLS. Anyone know if there are any alternative treatments other than antihistamines?
The rash from amoxicillin should go away fairly quickly on its own, however, your history suggests perhaps you have more serious allergic problems than the usual amoxicillin rash. The alternative treatment if antihistamines cannot be used is prednisone, a type of steroid. See your doctor, you will need a prescription. It is cheap.
Blessings,
Holland

SleepyBhamster

Post by SleepyBhamster »

Thanks, Steve and Holland.

It's been a rather exciting morning with contacting my PCP, rheumatologist, and ob/gyn for advice. Then I tried the Blue Cross/Blue Shield Nurse Line for the first time--and she told me to get to the ER! That got me pretty upset, but just as I was about to call my husband, my allergist called with a cancellation this afternoon, so I grabbed it. He should certainly know what's going on and should be able to treat it promptly.

I didn't tell the BC/BS nurse anything I didn't already tell the other docs, but when she asked and I told her I had petechiae on my calves that just showed up last night, that's when she told me to get to the ER. She wouldn't say why--and I can't find anything online to say why I should either. With lupus, you just expect skin problems.

I had only called her because I wanted to tell some relatively intelligent person that my rash seemed to be in a holding pattern, not progressing as I think hives would. I thought I would get some reassurance that this won't be as bad as the last time I had penicillin.

Have got 2 hours to get some rest and calm down so my heart rate isn't sky-rocketing when I go to the doc. I'll let you know how it turns out. (And if you never hear from me again, thanks for all the help! :P )

SleepyBhamster

Post by SleepyBhamster »

Just to follow up. Allergist says I have petechiae, not hives--but it feels nearly as bad. However it's a much milder case than the hives were. It will get worse before it gets better, though. But I have a prescription for prednisone which I would like to take all at once if I could. Oh and triamcinolone cream which I am to apply in a light layer 2xday.

CVS should not have filled the amoxicillin prescription; they say they will make sure my file says NO PENICILLIN NO AMOXICILLIN.

Hope this is the end of it. But he drew blood to check for low platelets. Hope that's not an issue.

Thanks!

SleepyBhamster

Post by SleepyBhamster »

Updating my update. It hasn't been all that mild and I do think it's a combo of hives and petechiae. Haven't been able to sleep from the itchiness. But I think I've been through the worst now after 1 one full week (entire body was involved but some parts are now clear). Probably one more to go since progress has been so slow.