Surgery & RLS (Symptoms Worse)

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Oozz

Surgery & RLS (Symptoms Worse)

Post by Oozz »

Hello,

I recently had arthroscopic knee surgery and my RLS has been out of control. It’s not occurring earlier, but it’s much more resistant to medication. My neurologist communicated that this happens and will go away, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. How long did it take to subside?

Any ideas on what may be causing to get worse? There isn’t much blood for arthroscopic knee surgery so I can’t imagine I lost much iron.

ViewsAskew

Re: Surgery & RLS (Symptoms Worse)

Post by ViewsAskew »

It happens a LOT. There are theories, but I cannot think of them at the moment (been a bad day for my brain, lol).

Hope it clears up quickly.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Re: Surgery & RLS (Symptoms Worse)

Post by badnights »

Nope - like Ann, I've heard that it's common but no idea why. The theories I've heard are loss of iron and exposure to opioids. I'm not sure how the second one would work, but neither seem to apply in the case of arthroscopic surgery. I think there was another theory too, but I can't recall it.

Mine got worse after knee surgery but I can't really tell ("in retrospect) if it was after the arthroscope in October or the two knife surgeries in November of the same year.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.