Mixed Messages Regarding RLS Research

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ramoore

Mixed Messages Regarding RLS Research

Post by ramoore »

I have suffered with severe RLS for many years like many of you. I have cycled through the common meds under the care of a neurologist with little relief. The sad thing is my doctor has said that he knows of little or no research happening for this condition. On the other hand, I have read RLS periodicals and articles that indicate research IS indeed happening, but I never hear any reports on this. If research is happening, 1) Who or what group/organization is leading this research, 2) Where exactly is this being done (Universities, Laboratories, Hospitals, etc?) 3) Where do I find information that details research progress? Does anyone know?

stjohnh

Re: Mixed Messages Regarding RLS Research

Post by stjohnh »

Well, there is lots in the "Published Research" section of this forum

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4749

If you want to know about what studies are in progress now (I.E. Data has not been fully collected and reports have not been published):
https://clinicaltrials.gov/
Blessings,
Holland

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

There is a lot of research being done at locations such as National Institute of Health, Johns Hopkins, Mass General, Mayo, Stanford, etc.

You can also find out about what is being reported by checking Google Scholar and doing a search on Restless Legs Syndrome. Google Scholar searches back on publications going back for many years, but it also allows you to screen work by the year.

Once you have learned who the most active researchers are, you can also search out their work using their name(s).
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

The best way to keep up with what's happening with the least effort is to become a member of the RLS Foundation (I think it's $35 now but they give memberships to people in need) and read the quarterly magazine Nightwalkers. There is always a section in which they highlight research that the Foundations has supported. There is other research going on that they don't cover, unless it gets really big, but at least you will get a taste of the kinds of projects underway.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.