Could I be done with RLS?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
SleepyBhamster

Could I be done with RLS?

Post by SleepyBhamster »

I haven't been on these forums in several months because I have not had any recurrence of RLS symptoms, even though my first and only iron infusions were in Sept/Oct of 2020. I was told here that I should expect to need another round of infusions 6-8 months after the first one.

The last doctor I saw was Dr. Arthur Walters in July 2021 (via Zoom). He told me that we would wait to do anything further when I started to show RLS symptoms again, but as stated, I haven't yet.

So here's my question: as I look back at the past 3-5 years, this all started with severe benzo withdrawal. When everything else cleared up after a few years, I still had the kicking at night. My psychiatrist told me that that was not at all a possible withdrawal symptom and it must be from something else. But now I have to wonder if my RLS did indeed start with that and somehow has finally cleared up after that iron infusion.

Does this seem at all likely or possible? I see my rheumatologist tomorrow and was going to give him all my RLS materials--as I don't think I will be needing them anymore.

Thanks!

Celine

badnights

Re: Could I be done with RLS?

Post by badnights »

Just from my personal perspective, I would say it's entirely possible. It might not technically have been withdrawal, but something in your body needed to recover from being on benzos, and it took a few years to adjust.

I think the same kind of thing might happen to those of us who have augmented on dopaminergic medications. It might take 5 or even 10 years to recover; the damage is long-term but not permanent.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Agreed with Beth!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SleepyBhamster

Post by SleepyBhamster »

I'm sorry I never saw the replies from Badnights and ViewsAskew! Would have helped relieve my mind a great deal. But as I recall, I'm pretty sure my rheumatologist thought it might be possible as well.

So now once again, I am seeing him tomorrow and wondering if I should have him test my iron levels even though I'm probably all right. The only thing I notice is that if I'm particularly stressed out, I will kick around in bed a bit. If I had never heard of RLS, I wouldn't think anything more than, "I'm anxious." But now it's always an extra source of anxiety: "Is RLS coming back?"

I may not kick around as much at night starting now if I simply tell myself that I'm done with RLS and anything else is just muscles wanting a stretch--which is entirely possible in my case as I"m going through PT for knee problems and some weak quads.

Thanks so much--still very grateful for all the help I got here!

Celine

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sleepy8hanster - you mention PT for knee problems and what just comes to mind is that too much physical exercise can make our rls symptoms temporarily worse, give us a bad night. As indeed can too little exercise.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SleepyBhamster

Post by SleepyBhamster »

Yes! One reason I hate starting a new exercise regimen--but of course I shouldn't have stopped the old one.