Tannins

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ratfancy

Tannins

Post by ratfancy »

Wednesday, February 16, 2022 11:43 PM
To: Info Mailbox <info@rls.org>
Subject: Today's webinar

Hello,

I attended the 2-16-22 webinar - sterling information. I was glad that my understanding of treatments is up to date.

I learned during the Q&A session that tannins may have an impact on symptoms.

Is this impact anecdotal or studied? I am asking because I may have been creating a much worse situation each evening by having herbal tea with chokeberries along with mixed nuts.

Since I try to include many antioxidants in my diet generally, I go for highly colored berries, green tea (decaffeinated), and I love my barley for breakfast. All have tannin-containing foods, which have wonderful antioxidant properties along with fiber and vitamins.

How much should I be concerned that I'm making my symptoms worse?

Polar Bear

Re: Tannins

Post by Polar Bear »

I haven't seen the webinar that you mention. However we know that many foods have a negative effect on rls and this can be a matter of trial and error. My understanding is that tannins reduce the absorption of iron and we know how important iron is to us rls sufferers.
Have you had your ferritin serum blood levels checked. It is important to have this level up around 100. Ignore the fact that around 20 can be considered normal.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Re: Tannins

Post by Rustsmith »

As far as I know, any correlation between tannins and RLS is anecdotal. There are very few studies that looked at diet vs RLS, so most of the info that is available is anecdotal unless there is a known issue with preventing iron adsorption or interacting with medications.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.