Anti-depressants

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
kgmoore2187

Anti-depressants

Post by kgmoore2187 »

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has had ok success with any anti -depressants and RLS? I've read that most anti-depressants can make RLS worse, but my therapist would like me to look into it. I'm dealing with a lot- recovering from cancer, job transition, moving, but my RLS is severe so I don't want to take anything to make it worse.

Thanks for your help!

Katherine

Polar Bear

Re: Anti-depressants

Post by Polar Bear »

Welbrutin is considered to be an antidepressant that won't aggravate rls.
Apart from that it is a matter of trial and error.

I have severe rls and also used the antidepressant Citalopram for many years without any obvious ill effects. My Movement Disorder Consultant wanted me to stop taking it in a bid to reduce any possible triggers, no matter how minor that trigger might be. I tapered off it and felt no difference in my rls symptoms.

A very eminent rls expert has said that if an antidepressant is needed then so be it and any resultant increase in rls symptoms should then be treated appropriately.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

kgmoore2187

Post by kgmoore2187 »

Thank you!

badnights

Post by badnights »

I echo what Betty said. It really depends on the person whether a particular AD will worsen symptoms or not.
I've heard (but haven't personally confirmed) that some studies suggest there should be no negative effect of most ADs on WED/RLS symptoms, even though earlier studies seemed to show that the tricylcic ADs were a problem and the SSRIs and SNRIs were in some cases a problem.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

There was a study at least ten years ago that showed the WORST case was about 18% were bothered, but the average was like 4 or 5%. Even if it were 1 in 5 or 1 in 6, I'd try it if I needed it!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.