Ferritin testing

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
SleepyBhamster

Ferritin testing

Post by SleepyBhamster »

I know this is basic information and probably on these boards all over the place, but I would like a quick reminder of what the 3 or 4 components are that doctors want to see in a blood test for RLS. My rheumatologist has had me tested before, but since it's not his specialty, there have been errors. For one thing, I wasn't fasting last time, plus I had come down with a stomach problem which threw the ferritin level way off.

If you know offhand which RLS.org publication would have details on the blood tests, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

SleepyBhamster

Re: Ferritin testing

Post by SleepyBhamster »

In trying to find it online, is it that I want a complete Iron Panel (IRON, TRANSFERRIN, TIBC and % SATURATION) PLUS Ferritin?

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

is it that I want a complete Iron Panel (IRON, TRANSFERRIN, TIBC and % SATURATION) PLUS Ferritin?
Yes, that is what you want. Basically, it an full iron panel PLUS ferritin.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Sorry this is late, but in case it comes up in future searches,

You want a complete Iron Panel (IRON, TRANSFERRIN, TIBC and % SATURATION)
plus a 12-hour fasting Ferritin.

And don't take iron pills the night before the test! I've also heard it said not to take iron pills for the 3 days before the test.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

SleepyBhamster

Post by SleepyBhamster »

I don't know if it's a bad idea to reply to this old thread, but here goes. It's a year later and I haven't had much trouble with RLS since my iron infusions in 2020. But I've had a few nights of kicking that could be more due to harder-than-usual exercise. If I'm really anxious about something, it also seems I have a bad night with my legs, but this isn't very often.

Last week got my GP to order an iron panel with ferritin. He would never order iron infusions with a "normal" ferritin level, but I see my rheumatologist tomorrow who WOULD order iron infusions if I gave him a sufficient reason for it (he actually reads the literature from RLG.org). But I'm not sure these current results would convince him:

Iron: 126
TIBC: 355
% Sat: 36
Ferritin: 275

My ferritin was 50 in 2020. Then probably in 2021 it was 550 or so--but it turned out I was sick and didn't know it yet. Anyway, what do you all think? Not low enough to ask for infusions?

Thanks!