jury duty

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
tvssnt468

jury duty

Post by tvssnt468 »

I have a jury duty notice and when I completed the online response, there was a question as to whether I am physically and mentally capable of serving. I checked no, then I got an email response with a form. NJ courts only allow excuse for a set amount of time; there is no permanent exemption. I will need "reasonable accommodation" since under the Americans With Disabilities Act, RLS should be considered a disability.
Has anyone had experience with reasonable accommodation being made while serving on a jury? Of course I mean the ability to stand and move during a jury trial. NJ courts won't accept my doctor's letter, I believe.

Polar Bear

Re: jury duty

Post by Polar Bear »

Do you only think that the courts won't accept your doctor's letter. If so I'd be going forward with the doctor's letter and see what happens. I'm in the UK and would be hoping for a medical exemption to serving.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SquirmingSusan

Re: jury duty

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I wish you the best with this! I have no clue about jury duty in NJ. It's easy enough to opt out here in MN with a valid reason, like caring for an infant, or in my case having narcolepsy and having no possibility of staying awake.
Susan