Vacations

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Penguinrocks

Vacations

Post by Penguinrocks »

Next Saturday Aug 26th, Kathleen and I'll be leaving to go home!
Home is Wisconsin. Heard about the tornado last night. Yanno, sometimes I miss those things! I know, crazy, but it was part of my youth.

Anyhoo, Kathleen and I are driving out. Course, I'll be doin all the drivin'.

Anyone have any experiences with the legs etc NOT hurting if you're the driver or am I kidding myself?

Thanks peeps

Penguin
Beware the Penguin

TxSongBird

Post by TxSongBird »

Penquin I have more pain when driving than when riding. I think that because I can move around when riding it helps a lot. Just got back from an 8 hour car trip last night and I was so happy to be the rider and not the driver.

Donna
Donna

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Thanks Donna
I was kind of hoping that having cruise control would help out with that.
I dunno, guess I'll see how it goes.
I won't fly any longer so it'll have to be this way.

Penguin
Beware the Penguin

TxSongBird

Post by TxSongBird »

Penquin I won't fly very often due to no leg room and having to stay in my seat that long is not good for my RLS. I hope you have a good trip and that it is not too tiring for you.

Donna
Donna

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi, Penguin--

I've not had to do a lot of really long driving trips, but I'll often do 4-5 hours in a day (life in the sticks, long drive anywhere :lol: ). From my experience, doing those trips as driver vs. passenger, driver is MUCH better, for me.

I also find it helps if I start earlier than later. Driving early evening/night for me is just asking for trouble, although I find that the concentration involved in driving at night, judging oncoming cars, changing from high to low beams, looking for deer, etc. (I drive a lot on two-lane highways) keeps my mind pretty busy, too. Must be a good thing, because although I've felt RLS "twinges" when driving, I've never had a really BAD RLS attack when I was in the driver's seat. Pretty much ANY time I ride in the car with my husband in the late afternoon/evening/night I have RLS. And the later it is, the more miserable I'll feel.

The other thing that affects me is fatigue. Better, again, for me to start early, drive "hard", and get somewhere to rest before the worst of the later-day symptoms.... and before driving in and of itself tires me out into a bad RLS mode.

Good luck to you. Long drive from your place, but should be nice. Have fun, be careful and travel safely!!

Sara :D

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Thank you my Sara!

Nothing says I cannot get out and stretch my legs either.

I can't wait to see my whole family....once a year i think is not enough

Love
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

becat

Be careful and come home to us

Post by becat »

Penguin, that's awesome.
You need a good vacation and family always hits the spot for me, too!
Good for you.
I never get to drive because my family thinks I drive too slow. :?
I would think stop when you need. Resist the caffiene and take those meds only when you can safely.
My love and hugs to you.
Be careful, enjoy yourself, and come home to us.
Hugs to you both.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's hard to do financially, but if you can take some extra days do you don't feel like you have to drive 500 miles a day. Last year Steve and I drove pell-mell from Illinois to Alberta, Canada. I took a 5-day intensive glass class there, and them we drove pell-mell back! We really needed to add a week to our trip in order to enjoy it and prevent leg stress. My sister and I both like to drive because it makes the legs better. We both have had RLS attacks while driving. It doesn't really matter to me if the attack comes with driving or passengering, either way I have to get out.

Frequent stops help a lot for me. And lots of good CDs - it helps to sing and have comfortable music that makes me happy when I'm driving. If you like different stuff than the kids, them having their own music and headsets can help, too. It's not fun to fight traffic listening to stuff you hate or their whining because they hate what you like! Also, unless you have satellite radio, there will be many places in Pennsylvania and Indiana that there is NOTHING to listen to!

Oh, and please be careful with the meds. Don't know if you're taking anything that makes you sleepy, but. . . well, you know. Same applies to not sleeping well, too! If you're tired, let yourself sleep in if you can or if it will help.

Enjoy the family!

Ann

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Thanks Ann and Becat,

Fortunately for me, Kathleen loves my music!!!! It's the first time I've had a cd player in my car, so that will help and she and I have so much fun together. The same sense of humor and all.

It will make the time go fast. I will and have promised my family to stop as much as I need and to not drive straight thru like I did last year. Made it from MA to WI in exactly 23 hours!!!!

Whew!

Anyhoo, I'm planning on stopping and hoping I can at least make it to Indiana before having to stop.

Love you all
Penguin
Beware the Penguin