Bariatric Surgery

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
shinderlider

Bariatric Surgery

Post by shinderlider »

Has anyone had bariatric surgery for weight loss and did it have any effect on their RLS?
Sue - Mom to Molly, Juliet, Maude & Jazzy
Georgia, USA

Polar Bear

Re: Bariatric Surgery

Post by Polar Bear »

I can't speak from experience but did a bit of a search.
What I came across was that iron deficiency can occur in about 50% of bariatric surgery patients and it is therefore feasible that RLS could worsen.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

shinderlider

Post by shinderlider »

I saw that, too, and asked about it at my initial consultation this morning. They said the bariatric vitamins I will have to take for the rest of my life have a healthy balance of nutrients intended to help keep iron in check. Of course, my lab results showed low iron … again. They did check my ferritin which was 25.5. One of the dietitians has RLS and seems very knowledgeable about recent studies so I’m glad she’s on my team.
Georgia, USA

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

At 25.5 your Ferritin is too low. You need to not only be keeping your iron in check, you need to be increasing it. A daily supplement may take months before seeing any increase.

There is also the option of intravenous iron infusion/s.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

HI Sue - did you go ahead with it?

My sister has mild symptoms - she had surgery a few years ago and never mentioned her symptoms being worse. Of course, I don't remember what she had done.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

shinderlider

Post by shinderlider »

Ann, I am in the process of determining if I am a good candidate and following the Medicare rules which require at least six months of a supervised diet. It will be at least June before a decision is made. In the meantime, I continue my weaning off ropinirole (getting ready to move from 2mg down to 1mg) with my gabapentin dose at 300mg twice a day.
Georgia, USA

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

shinderlider wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:45 am
Ann, I am in the process of determining if I am a good candidate and following the Medicare rules which require at least six months of a supervised diet. It will be at least June before a decision is made. In the meantime, I continue my weaning off ropinirole (getting ready to move from 2mg down to 1mg) with my gabapentin dose at 300mg twice a day.
Thanks for responding, Sue. Congrats on your success so far.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.