Sugar and Chocolate problems

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
LessRest38

Sugar and Chocolate problems

Post by LessRest38 »

I find that sugar causes me problems with my legs. I understand chocolate is also a problem. I have found some chocolates that claim to be no sugar. Is it safe to eat these?

Polar Bear

Re: Sugar and Chocolate problems

Post by Polar Bear »

The sugar free chocolate will be sweetened with something, artificial sweetener. Do you take drinks with artificial sweetener?
We are all different and I guess the only way to find out is to give them a try.
My husband is diabetic and has often been gifted sugar free chocolate. He finds it doesn't taste as good as normal chocolate.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

LessRest38 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:14 pm
I find that sugar causes me problems with my legs. I understand chocolate is also a problem. I have found some chocolates that claim to be no sugar. Is it safe to eat these?
Cocoa contains oxalates that may cause severe RLS symptoms. But not everyone reacts to oxalates.
Artificial sweeteners may cause RLS as well.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Not all chocolates are equal. Chocolate chemistry is extremely complicated. Even the taste of a cheap chocolate versus quality chocolate of the same type (milk, semisweet, dark, etc) will vary. The reason has to do with the processing and how many of the flavors make it into the product that you consume versus being extracted for some other product.

Therefore, it becomes a situation where you just have to try it to find out, i.e., we are all an experiment of one. And if you find a product that you enjoy and that doesn't trigger your RLS, stick with it.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Enough people say that sugar causes issues (and other foods), that it makes me think there must be something in sugar (and the other foods) that changes the gut composition in a way that causes issues. Some of these are temporary, some seem to be longer lasting.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.