On pallidotomy and staying positive

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
cornelia

On pallidotomy and staying positive

Post by cornelia »

A more recent study, funded by NINDS, shows that a surgical procedure called pallidotomy, involving a portion of the brain called as the globus pallidus, showed that a patient with RLS and Parkinson’s disease benefited from it and obtained relief from the limb discomfort caused by RLS. Additional research, however. must be conducted to duplicate these results in other patients and to learn whether pallidotomy would be effective in RLS patients who do not also have Parkinson’s disease.

While much leg-work remains to be done in the search for restless leg syndrome, common sense and a dose of faith can become handy under the present level of therapeutic knowledge on the condition. That means staying alert for breakthroughs in the field and believing that the best option, where options are not available, is to accept and enjoy a life of limited options.

Syndrome or none at all, life moves every second of the day!

On pallidotomy: scary, but I would do ANYTHING to treat my refractory RLS

On staying positive: yes, sure, but it ain't easy!

Corrie

jumpyowl

Hi, Corrie!

Post by jumpyowl »

I am saddened to realize that you have refractory RLS. Pallidotomy! yet.
Do they discuss the loss of other functions due to that procedure???
I wonder what the scientific justification was for that drastic solution?

I am still plodding through my newest research project "RLS and mental health". This is a jungle and so far it has not improved my faith in the professionalism of mental health care professionals.

Wishing you the best :)

your
Jumpy Owl

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Jumpy Owl, do you have a topic discussion on RLS and mental health? One of the most severe RLS began August 8. I contribute some of my mental problems to medication changes. Today, the day I can see the neurologist has finally arrived. The last two days I have been severely depressed. It is probably due to the fact I am physically and mentally exhausted. I'd be interested in reading about RLS and one's mental well being. Hazel

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Corneilia,

Sending you postive thoughts ten fold... I have heard that the more I send out the more room I have for them to come in. I am beginning to believe that it is true.

Hazel

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

No, Jumpy, this is all the article said about pallidotomy.

Hazel, just this very morning I read a new research as to RLS and depression. Here iRestless legs syndrome, periodic limb movements in sleep, and depression. For me it seems obvious that many patients with severe RLS either suffer from depression or anxiety.

Corrie

Picchietti D, Winkelman JW.

Sleep Disorders Center, Carle Clinic Association and University of Illinois School of Medicine, 602 W. University Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA. dpicchie@uiuc.edu

STUDY OBJECTIVES: To review the literature on restless legs syndrome (RLS), periodic limb movements in sleep, and depression. DESIGN: Literature review. SETTING, PARTICIPANTS, AND INTERVENTIONS: N/A. MEASUREMENTS AND RESULTS: We conducted a comprehensive review of the literature searching for publications that included data on depression or antidepressants and RLS or periodic limb movements in sleep. Sixty-two relevant literature references were found and reviewed. Four population-based studies and 9 clinical studies reported significantly higher rates of depression symptoms in individuals with RLS than in controls. Conversely, the prevalence of RLS in patients presenting with depression was reported as elevated in 2 studies. Conflicting data were found regarding the effect of antidepressants on the sensory symptoms of RLS. In contrast, several studies have found that selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressant use is associated with increased periodic limb movements in sleep. CONCLUSIONS: Depression symptoms are common in adults with RLS. However, the relationship appears complex, with overlap between RLS- and depression-related symptoms confounding the issue. Given what is known at this time, we propose a specific treatment approach to patients with RLS and depression symptom

Post by Guest »

I agree Connie, not being able to get quality sleep can cause an increase in anxiety and depression. Had appt with neurologist at 2, come early to fill out paperwork... didn't get in to see him till 4, an hours drive over, waiting sitting I began to feel the muscles in my upper back neck tighten, knowing the drive home was not going to be kind, did inconspicious tai chi movements, moved around... by 4pm couldn't understand Dr. Kumar, don't think he could understand me... wish I had someone with me. I explained that I was interested in how he treated RLS, I gave him the he one page Mayo recommendations, didn't understand what he said, he did a general overview of my reflexes, asked if I snored, ordered sleep study... see you later... don't call me I'll explain tests results when I see you in a month. Okay, what is your protocal for treating RLS... writes prescription for Baclofen, and this is? It will make you sleep. and this is? It will help you.
Okay and I am frustrated and depressed because! *BG* Honestly I don't think I am inarticulate, yet it seems that I may be. :roll: One thing I have discovered is that I treasure those fleeting moments when I truly feel *well*. Hazel

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, Hazel, I wish I didn't understand a word of what you said. But I do. And, all too well. It is so nice to feel well, I may just sit here and cry about it for a minute.

It's not you, it's the doctor. I've had that same doctor. Different name, different location, but the same exact one. In the beginning, I stayed with one of those doctors. Now I come home and make an appointment with the next one on the list. I started calling ahead of time, too. It helps some, not completely, but some.

Ann

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I'm so sorry, Hazel, that you had to wait such a ridiculous long time and that the neuro was not very nice to you. The good thing is that he ordered a sleep study, that is important. You are definately not an inarticulate person. I think your posts are nice and friendly and you are a spiritual person. You need a good cocktail of meds that enable you to sleep, so that you feel stronger. It is important to stay positive, but when you never sleep well it is a hell of a job and you becme depressed, or anxious, or both. Dr B says that almost any person can get adequate help for RLS. IMHO it is vital to find the right neuro, who is willing to work with you. Next time try to take someone with you, who can write things down. After your sleep study you should insist getting meds that are mentioned in the Algorythm. Baclofen is not on that list. If he doesn't, fire him.

Corrie

becat

(((((((((((HUGs))))))))))

Post by becat »

Aw Hazel,
WHat a great disappointment it all was. I'm so sorry, having been there myself. I've blown at a couple of docs in my lifetime......I'm sure a couple more before I'm done. This is not a PC type of question, sorry in advance for this.........but did he have an accent that prevented good communication skills? Or was he just a total jerk?
What a crock. I'm the doctor, see my diploma, don't question me. THat would have gotten a great big "Bite Me" from my mouth.
That must be worsened after you met him. The medical community is like any other, good and bad in all of us. If you found him from a list on this website please contact the foundation with your experience.
Yes, I understand the mounting feeling of anxiety and depression. I was downright hopeless that my life could be different. I know it can, but it was a while coming. Don't give up hope.
I hope things even out a bit for you soon.

jan3213

((((((((((((HAZEL))))))))))))))

Post by jan3213 »

It's Jan

As you can see, this isn't an unusual problem. I thought I found a "wonderful" neuro a few months. Wrote a post about it. I cried when I wrote it. He said we'd be "partners" in my treatment of RLS and he was oh so impressed that I posted on this message board (I just mentioned it in passing).

The first two times I went to him, he WAS very nice--ordered tests--explained the results. The THIRD time I went to him, it was like he had this huge block on his shoulder (not a chip!), and no matter how I answered him, he was hateful and treated me the same way (it sounds like) that you were treated. He also gave me an incorrect result on a blood test. I know that because my PCP told me and showed the report to me at a follow-up visit with her.

I guess I'm going to have to find another neuro. I have an appt. with him soon, but really don't want to go back to him. Before going to th is neuro, I just fired my neuro of over 15 years (who I really liked for a long time) because of problems. Sort of makes me feel like I'm the problem, when I know I'm not.

I know your frustration very well--I'm there right now. So, hang in there, Hazel. We should expect to be treated with courtesy and dignity. I hope we both find a good doc. Good luck!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.