Wretched Life

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, we need some sappy types, Jannie. We have lots of other types - short-winded, long-winded, personal, caring, techinal, whimsical, and many more. What we all have in common is that we want it to be better for ourselves, each other, and our children and families. It's pretty simple, really. We're a well-rounded, nice group of people who care about others that have to go through what we go through.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Post by Guest »

Youse helpin to warm my hands and toes... chilly in this ole office. can you hear my teeth chatter? CC2 if it wasn't for the courage of the people here, I would not have the help and relief I have today. It was their wisdom and support that kept me going till I found the doctor that said I believe in you and will help.

Too many years I'd go to the doctor, explain as thoroughly as I could what I was experiencing, then give up let him/her treat me for what he/she thought was wrong with me and go home to suffer in isolation. The information and insights and courage of these people sustained me when I was not able to do much more than crawl.

I am rowing like mad, along with the others, that you will find the relief you need and deserve. ((((GROUP HUG)))) Hazel

cc2

Post by cc2 »

Becat ~
Thanks for the pm . It is 4 am and I am looking at the moon alone but not feeling alone . I saved your pm , I may repete your words to my dr. just as you wrote them . I am going to try very hard not to cry when I talk to him. I am going to have to put on my get on my train or get the hell out of my way face !!!!! I am feeling angry this morning ! This is good,
I am much more productive in angry mode than I am when I am feeling pitiful . I am actually feeling fight comming in instead of defeated. thats because of all of you . I am grateful . I may come home with the same results as you Hazel when you stared out , but thanks to all of you sharing
I will be able to take some short cuts you all have showed me. Wish me luck!!!
hugs~CC
What a long strange trip it has been
CC

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

CC, let us know what happens. If not this time, then the next. All you can do is the next right thing.

Ann

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hello sweet people,

FINALLY going to see a Rhuemy....

Nov 7 unless i can get in earlier....

CC, please let us know how you made out!!!!

Love you
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

IanFraughton

Post by IanFraughton »

Hi everyone

My time flies when your having fun or not. Catching up on posts to see how everyone is doing. Crappy as usual huh.... (((everyone))) We all know what we're going through, though some of us more than others, we are all fighting the same disease. Without this forum a lot of us wouldn't have the strength to go on, and I really don't blame those who gave up the fight. I'm way too stubborn, but mostly too afraid to give up. It's not much of life but its mine and I'm going to try to enjoy every little bit of it.

As much as my RLS will allow of course, I made a pact with my demons to allow myself the little things that please me regardless of the pain or suffering brought on by it. I need my coffee in the morning, even knowing it will bring on a slight ache in my left leg and an increase in the crawling I do it for my sanity. I know to deny myself any pleasure is only holding back the wave of insanity that threatens to engulf me. Of course I know I have to have some sort of guidline for pleasure because there are a lot of things that give me pleasure that will only lead to more pain. So I have my coffee, chocolate ice cream and the occasional chocolate bar despite the fact that I know the concequences of my actions I am sometimes powerless to do anything about it. Some of us seem to struggle with addictions whether its food or drugs or whatever rows your boat :wink: The point I am trying to get to is don't be embarrassed or scared to scream to heavens your hate, anger, envy, jelousies, or whatever emotioin is boiling within you, because we've all been there. We will all do it again I'm sure, and if that's what gets us through this "wretched" life then so be it, I will be first in line to defend all of you. Thoug I'm sure I will have to fight my way to the front. :D

One thing I ask, even demand is don't hold back the tears when your at your docs. People don't cry unless there is a good reason for it, too many times I wore a brave face and a smirk, laughing off my conditions not realizing I was only hurting myself by not dealing with what ever was bothering my at the time. Mostly do to the fact that I was embarrassed by the fact that I wasn't even 30 yet and was too sick to even work but couldn't face the fact because I hid in the denial that depression wraps you in. I honestly miss that part of my post-depression, but it's a double edged sword because you only get sicker not getting the help you need. So be as honest and graphic about your illnesses as you can be, so your doc can accurately determine all that is wrong with you. He can't fix what he doesn't know.....

Peace 8)

Ian
I call my pacing the "Waltz of the Damned". Anyone care to dance...?

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hi Ian,

What irony!!!! Just yesterday, Doc was pushing on the 18 fibro points and he had to stop and just let me cry. Every inch of me that he was touching was either on fire or just in severe pain. Yanno, he let me cry.

Just waited until I compose myself and agreed to aggressively continue on with getting me the help that I need.

He's been my doc through the "years of beating" that i endured. He knows I have PTSD. He knows that I usually don't just come in to see him, cuz I usually wait until my next scheduled appointment to mention something is wrong.

Like last summer when I had a heat stroke. I told him about it about 1 week later at an appointment I had already scheduled and he actually got angry with me!!! :shock: Told me never to do that again and CALL.

Oops, rambling fever tonight I guess.

Sorry
Love y'all
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Good to 'see' you, Ian. How're things in the north? I hope your RLS hasn't been too terrible recently. Many of us are preparing to go to the RLS conference in Orlando this November. 'twould be excellent if you could find your way there.

Ann

Managing Your RLS

becat

Hi

Post by becat »

Hi CC Hi Ann,
Good day to you both.
Ann, hear it is a lovely day in Chicago, hubby is there and wishes your weather for us soon in Tx..
CC,
Thank you and your very welcome. It's nice to know those words were of comfort. Yes, I like my moon thing, it's simple in concept, but full of great things. I've always like the night sky and often lay down in my yard just to watch what the sky has to offer.
I'm glad you have found some fight. I found that fight very useful and powerful in creating a coping skill for RLS. Finding the power to help decide your future, not waiting for it to happen. When ever you decide to go to the doc, you'll do just fine.
Hazel, don't row too long, I don't want you wearing yourself out. I have a new oar on order. LOL hopeing that it is an overnight, not being shipped by ground.!LOL
Hugs to you all. Today is a much better day.
Adding an edit, didn't realize it took me that long to write so little.
Penguin, I'm so glad you have this doctor. I know that all you've been through doesn't touch what it could be like without that kind of awesome support. I'm sorry he hurt you, even if it had to be to get through the appt.. Ugh!
Ann, Yes Orlando! Yahoo! I really can't wait. I'm counting the days. Whirlpool baby, right before bed. Gotta love that part about travel.
Ian,
it's great to hear from you. Yup, collectively it's been a rough go for some of us, but the love carries us through. I'm doing much better and like you, just hate to give up. Thank God for those genes. How did that garden do this summer? I'm still waiting to find out if my sweet potatoes did as well as it looks.
Just good to see all of you here.
Again HUGS.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

The Weather in Chicago was nice. Nice and cool. It felt good.

From the Steel Mill I could see big waves crashing on the shore of Ogden Dunes and across the SouthWest tip of Lower Lake Michigan, I could see Chicago as plain as day. Lemme tell ya, it was just beeeyuuuteeeeful.
Sometimes you can't see it because it's about 20 miles away and the smoke and crap in the air covers it. Sometimes, with a south breeze you can see it but it's horrible. There's a brown layer of air all the way up past the Skyscrapers...then just like someone drew it, the blue air starts.

But today, with a North breeze blowing all the smog and smoke inland, and South...you could see Chicago as plain as day. I wish I would've had a camera with the waves crashing and the city. It was great.

I feel like a fraud sometimes with my, what I would consider very managable and light to medium RLS and pain. But you guys are talking serious stuff here. Constant pain, constant trouble, skin hurts just to touch it. I don't know how you guys do it, but you have my admiration.
Best Wishes and God Bless all of you.
Randy

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Comparison is a bad thing, my dear :( . You have a right to feel lousy about your RLS, regardless of how anyone else feels. It sucks to feel bad, to lose sleep, to be in pain, to have your life affected. If I have painless RLS and you have painful RLS, is yours somehow more important or worse than mine? I don't think so.

And before I have to get on a really, really high soapbox :shock: , I'd wish to never have this compared to any other disease, either. It isn't about someone else or something else. It's about you and your RLS (whomever's). I happen to be a cancer survivor. It's been 24 years this month. I can tell you, I'd trade in all my tomorrows of RLS for another cancer experience like my last one in a heartbeat. Yes, I worry sometimes that I'll get it again. But with many cancers the treatment is finite. They find it, they operate or use drugs, and it's done. Remission or treatment rates are very high for many kinds. Again, that's not to say that having cancer doesn't suck, either! It wasn't the happiest experience of my life, and I'd not wish anyone to have to go through it.

We have RLS for our lifetimes. With the possibility of it being progressive and robbing us of so much.

Not picking on you Randy, just reminding all of us that we have a right to talk about it, to share, to complain, to be MAD! RLS sucks - sometimes more, sometimes less. I just am grateful for all of the less that I can get. To those who are blessed with a milder form of RLS, feel blessed. Be grateful. Just don't think you don't deserve your due for what you go through.

Ann

Oh, I'm off to bed after that one 8) . If I offended anyone, yell at me :oops: Here are my apologies in advance.

Managing Your RLS

becat

LOL

Post by becat »

Hi to you both,
That was not offensive Ann. Wish I were there to force a hug on you. I'd agree can't compare yours with others. It's like asking someone if their pain is like yours, never really understand, but surely you can sympathize.
Your right, this board is for all of us. And thank you for saying that about the cancer. Your a brave woman and I'm so glad that your here. Cancer free, that's a wonderful thing. (((((((Hugs to Miss Ann)))))) :)
Randy, I'd prefer it if all RLSers, on every level used this board more often. If the only ones here are on a higher severity level, ........how sad would that be for the others that come here? Ann's right, vent if you wanna, that's one great thing about this cyber family. We don't want anyone to row constantly. We would gladly row for you as well.
This board should be filled with everyone that RLS touches.
You've started another great thread here Randy. I see what you've done for us. Your a good thing for this board. Your a good thing for us, good days or not.
Sorry, didn't remember that you were in Chicago as well. Hubby loves that place. He said the city was all aglow in baseball fever. Have to let you in on a secret....I'm living in Tx., But I'm a die hard Yankee Fan. I wish you had a camera too. I'd love to see the city....correction, I will someday, but would love to see what ya'll see.
Gn to all, it's been a long day and thankfully my body thinks so as well.

cc2

wretched life

Post by cc2 »

ViewsAskew wrote:I know someone who was sexually abused as a child. She went to women's support group meetings two or three times. Each time, other women would share their stories. The women who shared all seemed to have it so much 'worse' than she did. Their stories made her cry and feel so terrible for them. Ater two or three sessions, she quit going. At first she said it was because she really didn't need any help. She was comparing her situation to theirs.

Comparing our situation to others is a slippery slope. Jan, Becat, and others have already spoken eloquently about it. Each of us experiences our life and our pain in a unique way. One person might lose a business and commit suicide while another would start a whole new business and be wildly successful. If you have pain of any kind, if your quality of life isn't what you want, or if you are unhappy with how you feel, then you owe it to yourself to take care of youself. There will always be people who have it 'better' or 'worse', but they are not you. Only you can decide what is too much, not enough, or just right.

Acknowledging we need help can be very difficult, as can accepting that help.

Ann

Randy, Ann, becat, Ian~

Hope I didn't leave anyone out!
woo-hooo I did it ! I have a dr. appt. Tues 10/4 at 2:00 Step 2 of my journey (step one was finding all of you wonderful people)

Randy the above quote is for you . I too don't have the severe symptoms
as some of the others do , my pain is very manageable but the discomfort
and the lack of sleep when it comes.... well you know over the years has wore on me. If someone only had RLS symptoms once a yr I would be more than happy to offer words of comfort . And thank God there is such a place to come too !

CC
What a long strange trip it has been
CC

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

OK...hope I can get this all straight and reply to everyone who addressed me directly.

Ann...you couldn't offend me. You can "pick on me" anytime you like.

becat...thanks for the nice things you said about me. You're just too good to me. Hope you get to see Chicago like I can see it across the lake...it's worth it, and also visit it. I don't go there as often as I'd like to, and find it very easy to get lost there. We love the Art Institute, Carson's Ribs. Second City Comedy Club, House of Blues, Borders, Shubas and the crazy shop and Mexican Restaurant across the street from it and the Field Museum, to name a few...but there's a lot more of it I want to see.

cc2...thanks for the Ann quote. I read that before, but I have the attention span of a 3 year old most of the time. And you know how it is when you read something that maybe you think doesn't apply to you at the time so you don't really process it and keep it. And, as much as I am in awe of Ann's knowledge of all this stuff, and appreciate her advice...I think I remember it more when she writes about things like being chased by dogs, and being naked in the rain. 8)

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Good morning everyone,

I had my appointment with the Rheumatologist changed from Nov 7 to Oct 5. I had to go for x-rays and blood work last night.

Still having the problem with no veins, but I think that's just me. But, as for the x-rays? Boy am I sore this morning. I love how they will tell and RLS patient to "hold still" ! Makes me giggle everytime! Ya right lady, I'll hold still!!! :lol:

I just wanted to say good morning to you all, let you know how much all your words have helped me to start getting the help I need and just to let you know how much you are loved by a Penguin in the East!
Beware the Penguin