Novocaine and RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Sole

Novocaine and RLS

Post by Sole »

Two weeks ago, I went to the dentist for a horrible toothache. She decided to do an extraction. She pumped me full of novocaine and I couldn't get numb. Altogether she gave me five shots and had to stop as she said she'd administered the most she could, safely. She chalked it up to dentist anxiety, which I've never had before. Prescribed me some lorazepam, which is just another benzo and told me to take them an hour before I come back in again and we'd have another go at it. Does anyone know if the meds I'm taking could be inhibiting the novocaine? I'm taking trazodone, klonopin and elavil.

Hopes she's not wearing out her welcome to fast,

sole

smsunen

novacaine

Post by smsunen »

[url]I have :? rls and novacaine doesn't work on me. The doctor always has to give me four or five shots and wait about an hour. It's terrible. I don't know if the two could be related, but it is interesting. I also have to get the form of novacaine without epinephrine because the other makes my heart race. I don't know if your meds could influence the effectiveness of the novacaine.[/url]

becat

two things

Post by becat »

There are a couple of possiblities here.

1. If you had any infection at the sight of injection, aka, where you wanted it to be numb.......the infection in a tooth can over power the numbing medication. Wouldn't matter how many shots they gave you the infection would cancel them out.

2. Some People are born with extra nerve branches in the jaw, usually the lower jaw.
Past that honestly I have no knowledge about the medication you listed making Novacaine not work, but if is the case you know someone here will catch it and tell you.