Exhausted....Imagine that!

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Sole

Exhausted....Imagine that!

Post by Sole »

I'm so exhausted. I can't even think straight. Last night was the third night in a row with no sleep. The Klonopin isn't even working now. I took 4 mgs and NOTHING! How am I supposed to take care of three kids in this shape?? My legs were so bad last night that I feel like someone's taken a baseball bat to them this morning. And my feet. What's up with my feet? I did some walking around the mall yesterday, waiting for our car to be fixed. It was so hot. My feet burned like crazy and ached so badly after under an hour. This morning, I can barely walk on them. I wonder if that has something to do with my legs. I don't know. All I now is that I'm so exhausted that I can't function. I have an OB/GYN appt. today, a dentist appt. today and somewhere in between I'm supposed to do a house full of laundry. This is not my best day. I wish one of those docs I saw in the past about my sleep would ask me that famous first question NOW. "Are you depressed?" Hell yeah! Sorry about the rant but I knew y'all wouldn't mind.

sole

Heronak

Post by Heronak »

Sole,

I read your various posts from the weekend this morning and can sympathize (all but the three kids, I can't imagine trying to parent when sleep deprived!). The depression that goes along with being constantly fatigued and knowing there's probably no sleep in sight is all-encompassing.

I took myself off Sinemet last Wednesday because 1) it stopped working and 2) the side effects (augmentation, depression, daytime fatigue).

Unfortunately, when I called my doctor to switch to Mirapex as we had previously discussed, she was off for a long weekend and due to return tomorrow. The other doc in her practice refused to prescribe it without seeing me in person (and charging an arm and a leg). Ok, so another week of no sleep...

Sounds like you're on the right track, gathering info to discuss with your doctor, and ready to take no sh** from her. We are lucky to have this forum and some incredible members like Jumpy to help us. All the best to you, and hope you find some answers.

Heron

jumpyowl

Sole

Post by jumpyowl »

I cannot give anyone medical advice but I would cut down on the antidepressants if I were in your place. I would make sure you do it in the prescribed manner and notify your "doctor." Call her that you are having unbearable side effects (or augmentation of paresthesia) from your antidepressant medication.

4 mg is a lot of Klonopin but it will not help with augmented paresthesia.

Have you been treated for depression before?
Jumpy Owl

becat

I know your feet

Post by becat »

Hi Everyone,
I can more than relate to your feet, legs, having small kids, and the utter feeling that the world has not paid attention.
I am a lifer, 40 yrs now. It has been passed to me by both my mom and dad. there are at least 7 people on one side, 3-4 of which that have pain along with the "twitch criiters" as our RUbyslippers calls it. Extreme pain in my legs and burning in my feet to the point that I have iced them.

It is just my opinion that RLS is a whole body problem. I have seen that many more people are speaking of stomach problems, which are a nightmare I also deal with. There is always the talk of depression......It blows me away that no one, i.e. a doctor, has realized that this is a result of not sleeping for days, weeks, even years at a time. Not only that, when is your body suppose to heal, at rest....only when you sleep does our body heal.........Wonder why everything starts to shut down, even minor things become huge and on going. Forget having an injury to a limb, they can not understand why you hurt worse than most people.

Sole, do not feel alone, don't give up. Who cares if the laundry gets done today? Let them go naked........Your children will truely benefit from a rested, painfree, happy mommie. You might be depressed, but show me one of us here that hasn't been. Look at how we live our lives, or try to around RLS.
I personally would not take the antidepressant........why? 1. You are in a hecktic time of life now, wait for the teenage years and driving.....lol that's when medication really comes in handy. :lol: 2. to control the pain is a good thing for you and you may have to insist that this happens. 3. We are all different people when pain is dealt with and sleep, resting sleep is at hand. 4. The meds. are not worth the RlS symptoms for me.
Honey, your going to fine. You fight for yourself and your family. Find someone to watch those kids at least once a week and take a nap.
I hope you are having a better day and you know we're with ya.

Sole

Post by Sole »

Heronak wrote:Sole,

I read your various posts from the weekend this morning and can sympathize (all but the three kids, I can't imagine trying to parent when sleep deprived!). The depression that goes along with being constantly fatigued and knowing there's probably no sleep in sight is all-encompassing.

I took myself off Sinemet last Wednesday because 1) it stopped working and 2) the side effects (augmentation, depression, daytime fatigue).

Unfortunately, when I called my doctor to switch to Mirapex as we had previously discussed, she was off for a long weekend and due to return tomorrow. The other doc in her practice refused to prescribe it without seeing me in person (and charging an arm and a leg). Ok, so another week of no sleep...

Sounds like you're on the right track, gathering info to discuss with your doctor, and ready to take no sh** from her. We are lucky to have this forum and some incredible members like Jumpy to help us. All the best to you, and hope you find some answers.

Heron

Thank for the well wishing, Heron. A week seems like any eternity, without sleep, doesn't it? I'm sorry. I'll be interested to hear how the Mirapex works out for you.

sole

Sole

Re: Sole

Post by Sole »

jumpyowl wrote:I cannot give anyone medical advice but I would cut down on the antidepressants if I were in your place. I would make sure you do it in the prescribed manner and notify your "doctor." Call her that you are having unbearable side effects (or augmentation of paresthesia) from your antidepressant medication.

4 mg is a lot of Klonopin but it will not help with augmented paresthesia.

Have you been treated for depression before?

Jumpy,

I quit taking the Elavil and Trazodone 4 nights ago. As soon as I learned the "usually" do more harm than good. I had been taking them for only two weeks so I wasn't concerned about withdrawals. The Klonopin has stopped working too so now I'm stuck. Just waiting for your letter to come and I'll make my appt.

I was treated for depression 5 years ago. Why do you ask? I took Paxil and had good results. I hadn't been diagnosed with RLS at that time but don't recall the paxil making my legs worse. I discovered Klonopin worked for RLS by accident. It was originally prescribed to me for anxiety. Imagine how thrilled I was the first night I took it and my legs settled down. When I reported the results to my prescriber, it was then he diagnosed the RLS. Before then, I didn't know there was even a name for it. Or that it was even an "it," if you know what I mean.

sole

Sole

Re: I know your feet

Post by Sole »

becat wrote:Hi Everyone,
I can more than relate to your feet, legs, having small kids, and the utter feeling that the world has not paid attention.
I am a lifer, 40 yrs now. It has been passed to me by both my mom and dad. there are at least 7 people on one side, 3-4 of which that have pain along with the "twitch criiters" as our RUbyslippers calls it. Extreme pain in my legs and burning in my feet to the point that I have iced them.

It is just my opinion that RLS is a whole body problem. I have seen that many more people are speaking of stomach problems, which are a nightmare I also deal with. There is always the talk of depression......It blows me away that no one, i.e. a doctor, has realized that this is a result of not sleeping for days, weeks, even years at a time. Not only that, when is your body suppose to heal, at rest....only when you sleep does our body heal.........Wonder why everything starts to shut down, even minor things become huge and on going. Forget having an injury to a limb, they can not understand why you hurt worse than most people.

Sole, do not feel alone, don't give up. Who cares if the laundry gets done today? Let them go naked........Your children will truely benefit from a rested, painfree, happy mommie. You might be depressed, but show me one of us here that hasn't been. Look at how we live our lives, or try to around RLS.
I personally would not take the antidepressant........why? 1. You are in a hecktic time of life now, wait for the teenage years and driving.....lol that's when medication really comes in handy. :lol: 2. to control the pain is a good thing for you and you may have to insist that this happens. 3. We are all different people when pain is dealt with and sleep, resting sleep is at hand. 4. The meds. are not worth the RlS symptoms for me.
Honey, your going to fine. You fight for yourself and your family. Find someone to watch those kids at least once a week and take a nap.
I hope you are having a better day and you know we're with ya.

Hi Becat,

So your feet get really hot too, huh? Is that common in RLS? Is it common for your chins to ache terribly after walking around for just an hour. I don't know why but the RLS has gotten so much worse for me lately. I just don't get it. I know it's supposed to get worse over time but I'm only 33 and the severity has more than doubled in just these past couple of months. It's as bad as when I was pregnant...but, at least, after I'd have my babies, the symptoms would lighten up. But now they're full blown all the time.

Thanks for the permission to not do laundry. I didn't. :-) In fact, my daughter did the necessities. I appreciate her very much. My kids are old enough to watch the baby. I have four kids. My oldest son is almost 17 and just went to live with his dad. My oldest daughter is 15. My other son is 12 and my youngest daughter is 13 months. So I do have help. Not to mention my incredible husband who would move mountains for me...or simply make me an icecream cone. :-) I'm very grateful for them but I feel guilty because I'm the mommy. It's my job and take care of them. NOt the other way around. I know they understand but I can only ask so much of them. They've seen me down too often for too long. I just want to be better now. I'll quit whining now.

sole

jumpyowl

To Sole!

Post by jumpyowl »

You should be getting the letter by tomorrow (2 working days).

The reason I inquired about depression because this is the only defense your care taker, the family nurse practitioner Ms. B. (definitely not an M.D. so she has some excuse) could possibly have for describing you those medications. ("Those were for depression because I noticed that Sole appeared to be soooo depressed",,, - you get the picture?).

If you have pain, she or her boss should prescribe for you painkillers. (But I know what you mean. Old prejudices die hard). Chronic pain is now classified as a disease. This means it has to be treated properly.
Last edited by jumpyowl on Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy Owl

Sole

Post by Sole »

Maybe I shouldn't have but I intentionally left out my history of depression. I knew if I included it, that's the conclusion that would be jumped to. So to answer your question, no she does not know I've taken meds for despression in the past. All she ever asked was, "Are you depressed?" and I told her no.

sole

jumpyowl

Good for you!

Post by jumpyowl »

Sole, you handled it perfectly! :D
Last edited by jumpyowl on Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy Owl

Sole

Finally.....some rest!!

Post by Sole »

I posted this in another thread as a response to Nadia but thought I'd post it her too as follow-up.
"Nadia,

Thank you so much for posting that link! I got some rest for the first time in four nights!! On the site, she suggests "screaming louder than your legs" by concentrating on something else. I've done concentrating on things before but it was always on stuff I'd make up in my head and it didn't work at all. Last night, I put on music (usually I play sleep sounds that sound like static), good ol' 80's Monster Ballads and turned them up to a volume that would intentionally hold my attention and keep me awake. I didn't "try" to go to sleep. Instead, I got into my sleep position and mouthed every word to every song, trying NOT to sleep. I resisted the temptation to "check in" with my legs because the few times I did, there they were screaming at me and I refused to check in to see if I was getting sleepy enough to fall asleep. That wasn't a hard one because I KNEW how sleepy I was, not having slept for four nights. So I just laid there and mouthed all of my favorite songs. That was about 2am. I must have laid there for a good hour and the next thing I knew, it was 7am. Woo-hoo!! So I did the opposite of what I usually do...trying to lay still, keep things quiet, etc. and it worked! I was so relieved this morning. How silly it must seem, to the rest of the world, to find such happiness and relief in 4 hours of sleep. :-) Anyway, thanks again for posting that link. I think I might actually attempt a nap today, as I'm still very exhausted.

sole"

jan3213

Hot feet and exhausted

Post by jan3213 »

Hey Sole this is Jan. I get hot feet, too. I'm a lot older than you--56. I've had RLs for about 20 years. I don't know how you younger people do it with young children. I have twins and a son and I don't think I could have managed like you do!! Anyway, next time I have a terrible night, I'm going to try what you did. I usually get so frustrated, I sometimes just go downstairs to the family room and scream!! (Of course, not loud enough to wake my husband!) But, I'm going to concentrate on NOT going to sleep and see if that works. Who knows!! Anything's worth a try! I've read so many posts by you, Nadia and Ruby and I really admire all of you so much!!! I feel like I know you! You all inspire me--Not to mention Jumpy!

Jan

jan3213

Hot feet and exhausted

Post by jan3213 »

Hey Sole this is Jan. I get hot feet, too. I'm a lot older than you--56. I've had RLs for about 20 years. I don't know how you younger people do it with young children. I have twins and a son and I don't think I could have managed like you do!! Anyway, next time I have a terrible night, I'm going to try what you did. I usually get so frustrated, I sometimes just go downstairs to the family room and scream!! (Of course, not loud enough to wake my husband!) But, I'm going to concentrate on NOT going to sleep and see if that works. Who knows!! Anything's worth a try! I've read so many posts by you, Nadia and Ruby and I really admire all of you so much!!! I feel like I know you! You all inspire me--Not to mention Jumpy!

Jan

Sole

Post by Sole »

Hi Jan. Thanks for the compliment. One tip...if I may. When trying NOT to sleep, having something either visual or audible to hold your attention. I had my music up to a level where I'd never normally be able to sleep. But that's what did the trick. Let me know if it works for you. I'm going to try it again tonight, seeing as none of my meds work anymore.

sole

jumpyowl

To all of you, so clever, clever and dediladies (and gents)!

Post by jumpyowl »

It is just fascinating to read about your experimentation in the field of reverse psychology or what it must be "reverse physiology." :?

Who would think this discussion board is only about five months old? :?: . It is really growing by leaps and bounds ... thanks to people like you who are willing to draw on their limited reservoir of strength, to overcome their natural retinence to "violate" their privacy, and share, share, and share :o in the interest of public good (pro bono publico!)

This has really done it! :shock: It has pushed me over the "fence", actually the obstacle of my own natural resistance against hard work. :wink:

I just woke up due to an intense RLS type of pain in my right knee. It was barely 1 a.m. but I felt like coming out to my cabin in the woods to continue a fairly intense mental exercise I started during REM sleep - about harvesting the fruits of this highly capable group and organizing the information collected through a survey among us!!! :)

So to get off the ground on this topic, I am starting a new thread entitled OUR RESEARCH PROJECT, or ORP for short, in the forum of General Topics. Please read it and, if you think the idea is any good, please contribute to the first step which I will describe there. :)

See you in the ORP thread! :wink:
Jumpy Owl