ORP: our research project

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.

Should we attempt to do this?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:35 am

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 9

Anonymous

(((sole)))

Post by Anonymous »

Catching it so early for your daughter is a significant positive outlook for her recovery. My problem went years (5 to be exact) without detection...and by that time it was too entrenched to rid of it so easily.

Purging does cause a physical response in the body. For me, it was like a sedative. It was how I dealt with stress. I didn't binge just for the opportunity to eat large amounts of food, I did it to get to the 'purge'. Now, in the misdst of doing this I could not articulate that experience, but after recovery I could look back and see what I was doing.

I could sleep peacefully after enough purging and I no longer felt and anger, frustration or fear...until my body recovered from the purging and the cycle began again. *sigh*

My Dad used alcohol to deal with his RLS, but because I saw what that did to him (and my not wanting to be out of control due to a substance) and I was driven to be 'perfect' and be thin, I turned to an eating disorder. The purging helped with the RLS, which at the time was a mystery to me. I just knew it worked, so I would tend to binge later in the evening in order to take advantage of some needed rest.

If your daughter ever wants to chat, let me know. I'd be happy to listen and offer her what I've learned. I am VERY happy in my recovery now...and I can't imagine returning to an eating disorder ever again.

But...the darn RLS still exists! *geeeeesh*!

jumpyowl

Bulemia

Post by jumpyowl »

Maya, Sole, and Rita: It is very interesting what you all write about; bulemia. I wonder if you care to continue it under a separate topic (start a new thread in this same forum). The reason is because this is an important topic that deserves its own thread, 8) and secondly, I would like to keep his thread for the purpose of enumerating ideas to be included in our ORP.

I did not realize that repeated vomiting would increase the dopamine level in the brain? It is true one feels relief after such an act, but repeated such actions also dehydrate and must exhaust the body. :shock:

So please start a new topic on this, if you will :)
Jumpy Owl

Sole

Post by Sole »

Jumpy,

Yes, I'll start a new thread if we continue the conversation. I do think some of the info in some of these posts would be helpful to your survey. Please pay attention to the thread about skin sensitivities as I think it's an important issue to address in the survey too.

Smile.
Last edited by Sole on Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

jumpyowl

I can put your mind at ease,

Post by jumpyowl »

There is very little on this discussion board I do not pay attention to. However, I do not usually shoot from the hip. By not immediately commenting on something, especially in this thread, does not mean I am ignoring it.

I shall let you in on a little secret. My unadvertised method has been from the beginning as follows:

If I see something relevant in any of the other forums and threads, I make a remark immediately. This will enable me later to bring up all my comments in one file so I will not miss anything. (Initially I used to copy things into this thread but that was too much work). So the purpose of this thread is to save me work! Here I do not have to comment on everything useful because this is the main thread I will work by.

This why I waited until your topic got going before I suggested a change of venue.
Last edited by jumpyowl on Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jumpy Owl

Sole

Post by Sole »

edit
Last edited by Sole on Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

jumpyowl

Apology is accepted.

Post by jumpyowl »

I like the genuine, warm, helpful and sympathetic atmosphere this discussion board has had so far. I hope that we can preserve it so it.

So we are as the ancient Romans used to say "pro bono publico."
Jumpy Owl

Little Lamb

Re: First feedback.

Post by Little Lamb »

Sole wrote:
jumpyowl wrote:SO BASICALLY I AM LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT TO INCLUDE IN THE QUESTIONNAIRE!!!

Age 50

Sex female

When or if you've been diagnosed.
No, I haven't been. I think I have a mild case. My legs move on their own for no reason at all.

How the diagnosis was made
As stated above, legs jerking for no reason at all. They move all on their own. At first I didn't understand it. I heard someone say they had restless legs and finally looked it up online.

Symptoms - in your own words. Not the text book version.
I've already said it twice. Leg jerks. Funny feeling before hand,

Occupation
Processor for a non profit organization processing and hanging clothes.

Drug therapies and their results
I went to the doctor and told him about whatever was bothering me at the time. I told him about the leg jerks which I called leg spasms. He gave me valium.

Non-drug therapies and their results
Leg movement before reading to go to sleep. It helps me.

Reactions from physicians
Haven't gotten any

Average sleep pattern ( or non-pattern. Yes, I know that's not a word)
Sometimes I sleep through the night, other times I don't. Depends on how tired I am. I don't always wake up with rls. I don't always get it either.

Other ailments, disorders or diseases
Dry skin, chronic cough.

Lifestyle modifications, if any
None.

I haven't read this whole thread yet. :oops: I hope you don't mind my 2 cents worth. :)

jumpyowl

Thanks for the info.

Post by jumpyowl »

It is a little premature because we do not have the questionnaire yet.

But it never hurts to have that. Thanks again.
Jumpy Owl

Little Lamb

Post by Little Lamb »

I probably should have read the whole thread then. I'm sorry, :oops: but hopefully it will show you how it could go.

jumpyowl

Little lamb

Post by jumpyowl »

There is nothing to apologize for. And I was just about to change my answer to you which I just posted. :oops: But you were so quick!

I just noticed that becat has been suggesting that you provide just such an information. I did not realize it before. Sorry! But now thinking about it she has a good idea. We will make up a preliminary questionnaire which will be similar to the one you already submitted.

Did you notice the poll taking on the top of the page? Make sure you vote, also. :) You have to click on either yes or no. One can only do it once.
Jumpy Owl

Little Lamb

Post by Little Lamb »

jumpyowl,

Sorry, I didn't realize I could still vote. Sometimes these things are for a certain amount of days. Other times they go on forever. I thought the voting was all over with. I'll go ahead and vote. If I have trouble voting, I'll post it here.

Little Lamb

Post by Little Lamb »

jumpywol and whoever else,

I am unable to vote. I don't know why. Nothing happens when I click yes.

jumpyowl

Sorry, little lamb

Post by jumpyowl »

I did not know there was a time limit on these polls. So sorry I said anything. :cry:

I will check with lois but I suspect you are right. :)
Jumpy Owl

Little Lamb

Post by Little Lamb »

Is Lois the moderator for this site? Or does she own it?

jumpyowl

???

Post by jumpyowl »

I think she is an employee of RLS Foundation. You could ask her yourself.

She answered to my query addressed as: RLS Foundation <rlsfoundation@rls.org> as you can see from her e-mail to me shown below:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 11:52 AM
To: fjholly@dry-eye-institute.org
Subject: RE: Problem

Dear Doctor Holly, i'm not sure what this is. Allan will not be back until tomorrow at which time i will ask him about this. Our apologies.

No, I am not an employee of RLS, just a member of the foundation.

lois
RLS Foundation
Jumpy Owl