ORP: our research project

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.

Should we attempt to do this?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:35 am

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 9

jumpyowl

Ambiguous sentence or just plain wrong.

Post by jumpyowl »

In this specific study, parity was shown to be a major factor in explaining the sex difference and may guide further clarification of the etiology of the disease.

Well, somebody with good language skills should come to our rescue. :? To me the sentence makes no sense the way it is written. However, if two words "lack of" would be added (prior to parity), then the sentence would be clearer. I would have to read the paper to be sure.

My specific area of expertise is the eye. Interestingly, the dry eye syndrome is overwhelmingly present in women (9 out of ten) and occurs around the time of menopause. Clearly, there (in the eye) hormones are at play. :oops:
Jumpy Owl

becatTX

parity

Post by becatTX »

3 definitions found

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

Parity \Par"i*ty\, n. [L. paritas fr par, paris, equal: cf F.
parit['e]. See {Pair}, {Peer} an equal.]
The quality or condition of being equal or equivalent; A like
state or degree; equality; close correspondence; analogy; as
parity of reasoning. ``No parity of principle.'' --De
Quincey.

Equality of length and parity of numeration. --Sir T.
Browne.

From WordNet r 1.6 [wn]:

parity
n 1: (mathematics) a relation between a pair of integers: if both
integers are odd or both are even they have the same
parity; if one is odd and the other is even they have
different parity
2: (computer science) an error detection procedure in which a
bit (0 or 1) added to each group of bits so that it will
have either an odd number of 1's or an even number of 1's;
e.g., if the parity is odd then any group of bits that
arrives with an even number of 1's must contain an error
[syn: {parity bit}]
3: parity is conserved in a universe in which the laws of
physics are the same in a right-handed system of
coordinates as in a left-handed system [syn: {conservation
of parity}, {space-reflection symmetry}, {mirror symmetry}]
4: functional equality

From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (13 Mar 01) [foldoc]:

parity

An extra bit added to a {byte} or
{word} to reveal errors in storage (in {RAM} or {disk}) or
transmission. Even (odd) parity means that the parity bit is
set so that there are an even (odd) number of one bits in the
word including the parity bit. A single parity bit can only
reveal single bit errors since if an even number of bits are
wrong then the parity bit will not change. Moreover, it is
not possible to tell which bit is wrong as it is with more
sophisticated {error detection and correction} systems.

See also {longditudinal parity}, {checksum}, {cyclic
redundancy check}.

Pronunciation: (E"tE-ol'u-jE), [key]
—n.,
—pl. -gies.
1. Pathol.
a. the study of the causes of diseases.
b. the cause or origin of a disease.
2. the study of causation.
3. any study of causes, causation, or causality, as in philosophy, biology, or physics. Also,aetiology.

I COULD BE WRONG SO PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM.......
WHAT THIS SAYS TO ME IS THAT A MAJOR FACTOR IS THE SEX OF THE PERSON, AND THIS THUS PROVIDES DIFFERENCES MABYE RELATED TO EACH SEX. BOTH BEING SEX AND SYMPTOMS CAN BE IMPORTANT TO THE STUDY OF THIS DISEASE. I.E. HEART ATTACK RISK INCREASES WITH AGE. IRON USAGE IS AN ISSUE WITH THE ATTACKS. MEN AFTER A CERTAIN AGE, 40-45, STOP GETTING RID OF IRON AT A GOOD RATE, THUS STORING IN THEIR BODIES AND CAUSING PROBLEMS FOR THEM. WOMEN LOSE GREAT AMOUNTS OF IRON EACH MONTH BY DESIGN, BUT HAVE PROBLEMS LATER ON IN LIFE AND NEED SUPPLEMENT, BUT STILL HAVE SOME IRON RELATED HEART ISSUES. RLS SUFFERS HAVE A TOTAL IRON ISSUE. CAN'T USE IT PROPERLY, EVEN IF GIVEN ENOUGH OR HIGH DOSES.
THUS, IRON IS A FACTOR EFFECTING BOTH EQUALLY, BUT IS EQUALLY DIFFERENT FOR EACH SEX.
:?:

jumpyowl

Sorry becat!

Post by jumpyowl »

I am not saying you are wrong :) but I am leaning toward this writer saying (of course he is speaking for Baker) or trying to say:

In this specific study, lack of parity was shown to be a major factor in explaining the sex difference and may guide further clarification of the etiology of the disease.

if there is a sex difference then there is a lack of parity between the two genders. If there is one, then the etiology has to be revised because it has to account for the hormone-caused difference!

Simply put: saying that parity is a major factor explaining sex difference is an oxymoron, or at least it sounds like one to me.

Scientists or researchers not mentioning doctors are known to butcher the language. This is why technical writers can make a good living.

Remark: I really do not care who is right, I am just enjoying a good argument with Becat! :D
Jumpy Owl

becat

you nut

Post by becat »

i do so love a good arguement as well my dear........besides i could never out wit you dearest Jumpy...........You are so loves and cherished here. :lol:

jumpyowl

BECAT!

Post by jumpyowl »

I had one of my infamous brainstorms this dawn while in the REM stage of my sleep pattern. It was initiated by a private e-mail and it was about you! :wink: (I hope I still have your e-mail address).

Please be patient until I compose a possibly important e-mail to you. Then if we both think it is a good idea we come to our public forum with it on the ORP topic/thread. 8)
Jumpy Owl

fussybird

hormones and RLS

Post by fussybird »

Hi there...I'd like to jump in on this fabulous idea (if that is okay?)

I came to this website because I recently had a hysterectomy and the HRT I'm taking is significantly increasing my RLS symptoms ( or so I suspect, given that there is no other reason for the change).

The reason I came to this website is because other women (on a hysterectomy support website) said they experienced the same thing, or knew of someone who did. I was shocked...I didn't expect that. Unfortunately, the HRT I'm using is working for me, but it has brought on the increased RLS symptoms, and my GYN doesn't understand the problem, so I'm seeing a neurologist on Aug. 3rd to try to get in under control. It's never really been under control.

So....

Right now I use vicodin (left over from the pre-surgery pain) to control the symtpoms at night, unfortunately that also keeps me awake!

I also noticed after both of my surgeries, that when they'd put those leg wraps on (don't know the names of those things) that would help keep circulation going throughout the night (they pumped on and off all night long) I had less RLS symptoms. It was heaven!

Before my hysterectomy I would take 2 Aleve each night before going to bed and it would help me for about 3-4 hours. Not perfect...but I'll take whatever sleep I can get.

One thing I was wondering about on the questionaire...would it be reasonable to ask if people have expected reactions to medications? What I mean by this is that it seems no matter what I'm prescribed, if it says it will do one thing it does the opposite for me. I was wondering if that happens with other people here.

Also...is there any skin sensitivies? Chemical sensitivites.

I would like to help in any way that I can with this questionaire.

It feels sooooo good to finally meet people who understand what this is like. I've felt so alone with it for a long time. (my Dad had it, but he never lived long enough to know it had a name *sigh*)

Rita

jumpyowl

Thanks, Rita!

Post by jumpyowl »

Excellent points Rita! Thanks for contributing.

Those "massage wraps" probably work because they move the leg muscles. Recall that one typical characteristic of RSL is that the paresthesia goes away with limb movement. 8)
Jumpy Owl

fussybird

Post by fussybird »

Thanks Jumpyowl...

I was shocked that the massage wrap thingys actually did anything because they were intermitten and they didn't cause much movement...just a tightening sensation for a few seconds.

Any idea if people buy those to use at home?

Also...on the questionaire (if it hasn't been mentioned already) it would be interesting to know how people discovered they had this problem.
I wasn't diagnosed by a doctor...I found out through my own research. I actually started my own research because I discovered my brother and I had the same problem Dad and his brother had...and when I married I found out that there are people who actually live without this problem, lol.

Rita

jan3213

Massage wraps--surgery

Post by jan3213 »

Hi--this is Jan

I was just reading the post from Rita and Jumpy regarding Massage Wraps. I don't know if you remember, Jumpy, but I had gall bladder surgery a while back, and I had massage wraps on my legs. Well, they made MY legs go crazy, along with the benedryl and (please excuse the spelling) veracet (I have NO WAY of knowing how to spell that) they gave me in pre-op. They finally took the message wraps off my legs and I ended up having one of the nurses walk me for about an hour (there were two emergency procedures done prior to my surgery, so I ended up spending about 4 hours in pre-op). Anyway, to make a VERY long story short, message wraps made my legs worse. I felt like I could have crawled up the walls. Just thought I'd let you know my experience with them.

Jan

cornelia

eecp

Post by cornelia »

eecp

cornelia

eecp

Post by cornelia »

Hi, I have been a lurker for some time and just read about the massage wraps.

Some weeks ago I read somewhere an article that said (I quote from my print):

EECP for RLS

The American Academy of neurology reports that EECP (enhanced external counterpulsation) benefited a small group of patients who underwent therapy for 35 days in a row. The procedure works by the use of cuffs on each leg which are inflated and deflated in a specific frequence.

That was all it said. There was a picture with it showing a man with wrapped legs. But what to do with full body RLS? Will they wrap you like a Michelin-man?
Corrie

jan3213

EECP

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Cornelia

This is Jan

I'm sure glad you explained what EECP is. I had NO IDEA what you were talking about. I learned something new today! As I said, massage wraps may work on most people, but they did not work on me. That just proves that every method doesn't work the same on every person. I wish they did work on me. That would be great!! By the way, welcome to the site! I think you'll find lots of good information here and a lot of nice people!!

Jan
Last edited by jan3213 on Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sole

Re: eecp

Post by Sole »

cornelia wrote:....That was all it said. There was a picture with it showing a man with wrapped legs. But what to do with full body RLS? Will they wrap you like a Michelin-man?
Corrie

Hi Corrie. Welcome! Your post provided me an excellent visual and hardy giggle. :lol:
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

Sole

Re: EECP

Post by Sole »

jan3213 wrote:Hi Cornelia

This is Jan

I'm sure glad you explained what EECP is. I had NO IDEA what you were talking about. I learned something new today! As I said, massage wraps may work on most people, but they did not work on me. That just proves that every method doesn't work the same on every person. I wish they did work on me. That would be great!! By the way, welcome to the site! I think you'll find lots of good information here and a lot of nice people!!

Jan

Hi Jan,

This is totally off topic but your post brought up a frustration I've been having when reading posts by regular posters. Maybe it's just me but when I read a post by someone, I try to put what they're writing into everything else I know about that person's current struggle with RLS. Like, I remember you telling us about your experience with the surgery but I can't recall what meds or measures you're taking right now that are helping or aren't helping with the RLS. No frame of reference. I go back and try looking up people's previous posts to find at where their at in their treatment but the only people who's experience stand out on the board are Jumpy's and Nadia's because they've kind of created their own threads. Maybe I just have a bad memory. No, I KNOW I have a bad memory! :-) I just wish there were a way to quickly reference people's experiences. It's ridiculous and redundant for people to have to repeat themselves all the time, in individual threads so I don't ask people to. I wonder if there's a place in our profile that would allow a brief description of where each one of us are at, currently. Then again, maybe it's just me. :? What do you think? Anybody else share this frustration?
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

jan3213

Sole--Confused?

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Sole

The only reason I did not mention the meds I am currently taking is because I replied to a post regarding massage wraps and how they help some people who have RLS and the fact that they do not help me. My first post regarding my surgery can be found under a thread entitled SURGERY AND RLS. The mention of the medication given to me during my stay in pre-op was an off-handed remark and really had nothing to do with the massage wraps.

Jan