I'm Issuing a Challenge

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Rubyslipper

I'm Issuing a Challenge

Post by Rubyslipper »

I have posted on this subject before and here I am again. I am throwing down the gauntlet! I am challenging each and every person who reads this to join the RLS Foundation with a $25 donation. I can hear some of you now! Oh, great, another hand out for more money. But please read the rest of this post and then decide whether or not to join. As a member you will get a quarterly issue of NightWalkers newletter (which is an excellent source of current info and support), receive the latest RLS Medical Bulletin to take to your doctor and help the Foundation provide FREE educational material for patients and doctors. I can also hear some of you saying, (I have excellent cyber hearing, by the way!) “Yeah, and how much goes into the pockets of those at the Foundation?” Let me tell you, I have seen first-hand what a shoestring budget they have to make all we take for granted possible. What if we had never had this website? Where would most of us be? Alone and uninformed, that’s where. The RLS Foundation is the most reliable source of info on RLS there is. What if we didn’t have that? But most of all, how important is it for you as an RLS sufferer or for someone you love to have medications to help you live through this until someday the researchers find a cure? I firmly believe that day is coming. But if there are no funds available for research, we are a doomed lot. I realize that the pharma companies are researching for medication. That is a good thing. But we NEED a cure! Your donation can help with all of this. $25 can be hard to come by for some people; I’ve been there and know. Some people can afford more and hopefully will send more. What we can’t afford is to sit back and expect someone else to do it all. This is a disorder WE suffer from. I’ll bet most of you donate to the American Cancer Society, the Alzheimers’ Association or others. I do because those things have affected my family. I have three daughters who are showing signs of RLS. My heart breaks for them. That’s the real reason I am issuing this challenge. I DO NOT want anyone else to have to suffer with this horrible disorder if there is any way to prevent it. The only way that is possible is to find a cure, the only way that will happen is through research and research has to be funded. There’s the challenge. If you have read this far, I thank you. If you send in a donation, many more will thank you. Let’s see just how much we can raise for an RLS cure. Are you challenged? I hope so. My sincere gratitude to all of you. Rubyslipper
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Well put, Ruby and I don't think we can be reminded enough.

Gathering support for the RLS foundation is a big priority in my life. I too have children who are afflicted with RLS and it is likely that there will be grandchildren... so I am with you in hoping that our efforts to garner donations will help bring researchers closer to a cure...

I much prefer that informational medical bulletins for medical professionals also come from the Foundation than just from drug companies.

The website alone has educated me in so many helpful ways. We all have probably spent money on supplements and gadgets that proved unhelpful, that sending those few extra dollars to the Foundation instead is a great opportunity to bring us closer to a cure.

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Hazel, thank you for your post. I was beginning to think I had finally went too far and alienated everyone. Supporting the Foundation is very important to me but I can come across a little too forward sometimes. I'm glad to know someone agrees with me. I also want to participate in some of the clinical trials but most of them are too far away. I just want to do all I can to help end this disorder. Thanks for being a kindred soul!
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ruby, you should go over to the Yahoo Cyber board. I posted a similar plea and just got nailed for it :shock: . Of course, other people immediately said, Whoa!

Maybe people just took you up on your challenge and they all joined - or maybe most of our regulars are already members. I'd already agreed with you on the other thread, so figured I'd shut up, something I don't often do :wink:

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Ruby~~

I also thought I'd let others chime in since I agreed with you the first time. However, I want to relay something to everyone.

We have parents on this forum who have children (Heffalumps and her little Caroline come to mind) who suffer so much from RLS. It's bad enough to READ about it on this forum.

I have a friend, a former co-worker, who I've know for several years. She saw how RLS effected me--the mornings after a really bad night, sometimes attacks during the day. So, she knew a little bit about RLS.

She is the mother of a teenage daughter and a set of fraternal twins, about 10 years old. Sunday night, I received a desperate phone call from her. Her son, one of the twins, has RLS (apparently her husband does, too). Her son hadn't really slept since Friday night--this was Sunday night. She was beside herself--trying to soothe this little boy who's body was "full of worms", who kicked his legs, thrashed his arms, begged her to help him. When he DID fall asleep from utter exhaustion, she watched as his legs kicked the covers off time and again.

So, she called me for help. I looked through all of the threads we have regarding RLS and children and some of the non-pharm threads and tried to help to the best of my ability. She finally got him to sleep by using one of those small, "rolling" massagers people get in gift bags. She used it on his back and legs.

When you get a call from someone like my friend, so desparate--late at night--you feel desperate, too, and may overlook something important. So, I PM'd Ann the next morning, who we all know is very good at researching and who is very organized. I got an almost immediate response from her with links to sites that might be helpful.

I'm telling you all of this because I KNOW, listening to the voice and hearing my friend cry for her child, how horrible RLS is in children. THAT'S one of the main reasons I want to support the Foundation. Of course, it's also the people in nursing homes with RLS who are restrained; adults who've had this all of their lives and haven't known good quality sleep in years; pregnant women who don't know where to turn--who don't want to harm their unborn babies, but who feel like they're about to go crazy; people with other medical conditions which RLS or the medications taken for it make the treatment for other conditions difficult at best, and impossible at worst. It's YOU and it's ME. But, I feel the worst for the CHILDREN who suffer so horribly. And, parents who want to help those children, but can't.

Please take a moment to think about how serious this is. I know the minimum amount you can give to become a member of the Foundation is $25, but if you can't donate that much, I'm positive the Foundation would appreciate any amount. Think of how many cookies you buy from a particular organiztion each year. Or, how quickly $25 slips out of of your pocket and you can't even remember what you spent it on.

Think about what it would mean to find a cure for RLS, or better medication with fewer side effects for YOU or for someone you love. But, most of all, this about the CHILDREN.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

NO ONE IS ALONE WHO HAS FRIENDS

My friends, thank you for your support. I knew this wouldn't be a popular thread then I wrote it but all of you know exactly how I feel because you feel the same way. Sorry Ann that you got nailed. Guess people on here are generous enough just to let it go instead of lambasting me. And I hope you are right, maybe at least some of them will donate and I KNOW many on here already have. Jan, you were eloquent! Again, this is something important to us, a chance to do our part in making a difference. I'll keep asking and pleading but maybe in person instead. I thank eveyone who wook the time to read this thread even if you didn't respond. There really isn't any response necessary on here; just one to the Foundation, hopefully with a check enclosed!!! LOL

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I actually didn't mind getting nailed - it seems that's my karma lately : :shock: . Several people there emailed me to let me know that they thought the other poster was off-base, which I appreciated. But, she has a right to her opinion, she wasn't nasty to me personally, and I'm sure I could have written it differently as to not offend anyone.

But, then, well-behaved women don't make history, do they? :wink:
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Disagreeing with me isn't a problem as long as it isn't an attack. Like you stated, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just have a problem sometimes with how someone states their opinion as I'm sure others have that problem with me. But so far, nothing but support. Yes, I do like my new tag line. For most of my life I have been a sit back and let others do and say what they want because I DO NOT like confrontations! But lately I have decided if I continue that, nothing that I think is important gets done. Not to say that what I want is more important than what anyone else wants. But sometimes you have to swim upstream against the current and I've decided that kicking my legs in the water is good for RLS (in more ways than personal). Besides, usually being well-behaved isn't much fun! :wink:

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Ruby

I love your new tag line, too!

:) Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

becat

Hugs and Horaaayyyys

Post by becat »

I love the idea Ruby. I back you 100% on this.
Here's my promise to you.
As a support group leader I will:
Offer a raffle, out of my own pocket, as every meeting.
I will always have a donation box and mention it and a membership to the foundation. At some point in the year I will make a donation on behalf of my Greater Dallas/ Ft. Worth area to the foundation with these funds.
I, personally, have the cutest baseball vase that was given to my husband, I stole it. I have been throwing my change out of the bottom of my purse into it for a year now. I'm guessing that this little ball now hold close to a 100 dollars.
If I get paid for speaking on behave of any RLS issue, I will donate the major part of it.
All together, I have four different things I'm using to donate for my group and myself. I do want to make a donation myself, in my grandmother name.
I'm with ya and as my brain works it out I'll share my ideas to raise money.
Thought today about a contest at bowling. Silly, but maybe they will go for it. Every puts 3-5 bucks into the kitty and then we have people decorate their bowling bags. The winner will get a prize, hopefully, donated by the bowling alley. LOL who knows, can't hurt to ask.
Hugs and cheers for your efforts on this issue.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Thanks, Becat; your ideas and what you are already doing are great. Fundraising is just another area that is touchy with some people and I figured I had pushed my limit with asking people to become an RLS member. There are all kinds of things that can be done to raise money for the Foundation. You have some great ideas. I asked and found out that you can also give a gift membership for someone, either someone in particular or just send in the money and they will match it to someone that would like to be a member and can't afford it. I personally think a donation in honor or memory of someone is an excellent idea. You are one of the true souls that will use your own money to make more money. Gotta love you for that (along with so many other things you do!) It would be nice to know if anyone who read this, other than the ones who have already posted, accepted the challenge or not. I hope I'm not totally blowing in the wind! Thanks to all who have or intend to donate. We can accomplish so much if we work together. Haven't we already found that out?

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hey gals

Yes, I know, long time no talk!!

I have just renewed my membership to the RLS Foundation and donated $US25 as well ... and i didn't even know about your challenge Ruby!

I'm also a member of Sleep Disorders Australia and donated money to their research as well.

Ann, I know what it's like to get stomped on in those yahoo groups ... had that happen when we did the questionnaire for the meeting in 2003.

I hope that everyone finds a little bit extra to donate to this worthy cause.

Luv n hugs to you all
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Read the yahoo messages today and was really dumbfounded by her response Ann. To me it seems important to occasionally remind people that it is our support that helps provide the funds for research and out reach programs such as this website.

Extenuating circumstances, her economic situation must really be oppressive at the moment or I don't think she would have reacted so strongly. Who knows.

Thanks Becat, your suggestions are something I can do! Thankfully there is someone like you helping stir up the thoughts that prove to be productive!

Hopefully people will understand that we are asking only for their consideration it is not an obligation.

rowing with you today, Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

SARDSY!!!! It's so good to hear from you! Of course you would donate without knowing about the challenge, that's just you. Don't forget, my house is still open to you if you ever get over (up?) here. By the way, I've had a couple of Aussie wines lately. I don't know if they were really good or good because I was thinking of you while I drank them! Hazel, you made a very good point and one I really hope people understand. I was asking, not demanding. Maybe I should have approached it in a different manner. Too late now. I guess I should check out the Yahoo site but I'm a chicken. It's about all I can do to keep up with this one!

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hey Ruby :D

Into the Aussie wines now huh??? Methinks i'm gonna be shipping them over to you by the caseload soon, coz yup, they are pretty darn good!!!

I am hoping to get away overseas at some stage this year, preferably in your direction, and haven't forgotten your invitation ... you can be sure that i'll be knocking on your door one day! I was pretty devastated when I had to finally pull the pin on my plan to go to Florida.

All you gals (and guys) have been in my thoughts almost every day. I know I havent done much in the way of contributing to the board over the past few months and feel guilty about that, but I see that there are a number of new faces who have stepped up to the challenge of welcoming & helping the newbies alongside the regulars like yourself Ruby, dear Becat, Ann, Jan and everyone else (brain fog!!!). Personal life is still in a shambles, but i'm working on that and hope to be a more regular poster again soon.

I am sure that your challenge will be a success ... sometimes it takes small steps to achieve the bigger reward! Don't lose hope!

Until next time ... take care of you!

(((((BIG HUGS))))) from Down Under!!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!