POLL: PLEASE RESPOND

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Anonymous

POLL: PLEASE RESPOND

Post by Anonymous »

I want to do a poll on how many people smoke in their homes and if you have children? I do right now.

Jamie

marva297

Post by marva297 »

I don't smoke any more. Gave it up 20 years ago. My hubby smokes, but only outside or in the garage. And he's trying hard to quit. My kids are grown and it's just me and hubby at home.

Are you thinking that smoking and RLS have something to do with each other? I hadn't thought of that before.
Marva

DeeVette

Post by DeeVette »

I smoke in my home :( and yes I do have children. My 21 year old daughter no longer lives at home, but my 15 year old son does. When they were little my husband and I would smoke outside, but as they got older I guess we felt it wasn't as important since they were not at home as much. We both are talking about quiting. We are in our 40's now & it's about time we give it up. Do you think RLS and smoking are related??

DeeVette
Complicating life is easy.....the genius is in the simple things!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My mom smoked when I was a child. I smoked years ago. When I had stepchildren, I didn't smoke in the house, then stopped smoking completely after they had been with me for about two years. That was 12 years ago and I'm so happy I stopped. I feel better in my mid-late forties than I did in my early thirties.

My sister's husband smoked in the house when her kids were young. The youngest kept getting ear infections; the doctor told them they were crazy to allow amoking in the house with kids and that it contributed to the youngest's problems. He stopped and she stopped getting them.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tazzer

smoking

Post by tazzer »

Neither my husband or I smoke, however he does have a nasty habit with copenhagen! gag!!

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Jamie, I'm not sure why you were asking. I just happened on this research today:

http://www.websciences.org/cftemplate/N ... D=20060775

The numerous epidemiological research indicates that exposing children to tobacco smoke increases the occurrence of lower airways and middle ear diseases, asthma or SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). Exposure during childhood can cause development of cancer in adult patients.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Anonymous

smoking

Post by Anonymous »

This has nothing to do with my rls. I was just wondering because I am living with my parents right now and they smoke in the house so me and my husband smoke in the house to, but I feel bad about it because of my 7 year old and 2 year old, but thank God that neither of them have gotten ear infections, but we don't smoke near the baby at all and I wash my hands before I even touch her, but I know that it is bad, but I know that my parents won't stop, so I was just curious about everyone.

Thanks
Jamie

Sadiegirl

Post by Sadiegirl »

Lovechild,

The smell of smoke is not just on your hands. It is on your clothes, on your hair, on the furniture, on the upholstery in the car, on stuffed animals, on dolls, on linen. It is everywhere. You should do some research on the effects of second hand smoke. You might even do some research on the effects of smoking on yourself. If you have rls (something we have little control), why would you do harm to yourself and the others around you with something you can control.

Did you know that the effects on a child is so much worse because of their small size than it is for an adult? Sorry for my rant but children are innocent and should be protected. But they are placed in a position of helplessness by adults who don't think about their actions. I am glad you are thinking about the effects of smoking and I hope you quit for your own health and your families.

Laura

two40

Post by two40 »

Yes, I smoke but strictly outside whatever the weather. My father smoked but not my mother. My wife doesn't smoke and neither do my two children.
two40

KimberlyGibson

Post by KimberlyGibson »

I was raised in a home where my mother chain smoked and my father smoked cigars. When you entered our home you could literally SEE the clouds of smoke just hanging in the air. I swore I would never start.

July 30, 2005, I quit my 2 1/2 pack a day habit. I have now NOT smoked more than 10,500 cigarettes! Not a day goes by that I don't want one. Not a day goes by that I am indignant and angry at having to give up my best friends. And hardly a day goes by that at least one of my sons, who I raised in the same smokey household, tells me how proud they are of me.

I don't know that I believe the reports on the 'dangers' of second hand smoke. But I do regret 'passing on' the habit to two of my sons. I don't believe there is a worse substance to be addicted to at quitting time. And if I smelled as bad as my sister does, her clothes do, her hair, her home, and her car, I'd rather die than know. Should I tell her?

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

My daughter commented the other day that her doctor encouraged her husband to stop smoking as the second hand smoke was harmful especially since she is on birth control.

We all know that second hand smoke can be harmful, but I never thought about it like that before.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in!

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden