RLS increased by HRT's?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
fussybird

RLS increased by HRT's?

Post by fussybird »

I'm new here and I tried posting once and can't find the thread now, so if I'm making a duplicate now please forgive me. (and let me know if the other one is here...I can't find it, and I suspect it's due to my ignorance on how to use this board...or, lol...lack of sleep!)

I recently had surgery that caused me to need HRT and with that came a severe increase in my RLS symptoms. Because I'm still having menopause symptoms (sorry guys...this is a girl thing) I'm increasing my HRT's. I don't know if the HRT is causing the RLS symptoms to be worse, or the lack of enough estrogen. Any thoughts on this?

My GYN is not helpful with this...he dismissed it being connected to the HRT...but I know my body and how it feels...and the RLS has NEVER been this bad (unless I was given a med that set off the symptoms).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Rita

Sole

Post by Sole »

Hi Rita,

It's funny you should post this today as I was thinking about the very topic when I left the Dr.'s office. My Dr. asked me if there was any history of early menopause in my family. I am only 33. There isn't but it got me to thinking. I'm wondering if there's a high number of women who suffer from RLS who do go through early menopause. Jumpy is collecting data from all who are interested and putting together a comprehensive survey which could be very helpful to those of us with RLS and physicians. I think your input could be very helpful. You can find the thread called "ORP:Our Research Project" in this forum.
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

Heronak

Post by Heronak »

Rita,

It makes sense to me since my RLS is always worse before my period when estrogen and especially progesterone levels are peaking. I've noticed this for years. I'm not familar with all the nuances of HRT (yet...), but I would guess when we're messing with hormones it will have an effect. All the best,

Heron

Anonymous

Heron...

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks for the reply Heron...

*bonk*...that's me hitting myself on my head! :lol:

You're absolutely right...I remember having the RLS get worse before my periods, but because the periods were so horrible (long, icky story there) I was more upset about the isues surrounding the period and not the RLS (the periods would be 3 out of 4 weeks of the months...so only one good RLS week).

Thanks for reminding me of that. I did increase my HRT so I hope that helps ease off some of the RLS symptoms. Last night was a bit better, but it will take time to see if that is HRT related or not.

Rita

claradragon

Re: Heron...

Post by claradragon »

fussybird wrote:

You're absolutely right...I remember having the RLS get worse before my periods, but because the periods were so horrible (long, icky story there) I was more upset about the isues surrounding the period and not the RLS (the periods would be 3 out of 4 weeks of the months...so only one good RLS week).

Rita

Hi i'm 34 and have noticed over the years that my body runs on a 5 week cycle...one good week,two of gradual downward spiraling followed by two of absolute torture then back to a good week.i believe there must be a link but my rls started way before menstruation...is it that in women menstruation exacerbates rls? It does seem to be that way

becat

I'm not alone.

Post by becat »

I'm so glad to hear someone else say things like this. When I was trying to get the doc.s to listen about my legs this was a big issue. i am able to tell when and which side I ovulate on. And my legs were just killers for days before and 2-3 days into a period. The last time I saw the OBGYn, I really stressed this information to him, the wet rag wrote in my chart in huge bold letters PMS................And then said I could not possibly know the other infor about my body..."women don't feel that" arrrrrggggghhh! it's been almost 2 1/2 years since I've been back...........
revenge will be sweet so early tomorrow morning, my first appt. with him since that day. I have to go back to him for the sake of a certain history and presently related problem. I don't look foward to the visit, but I will be able to smile and inform him that there was something more than just PMS.
Glad I read this thread tonight just the kick in the chattttttoootttter I needed. Move outta my way women with a mission............
Be well all.

jan3213

RLS and HRTs, etc

Post by jan3213 »

This is Jan and just to reiterate, I'm on Mirapex and Klonopin and have had RLS for 20 years or so and my meds are doing okay. I'm now 56 and post-menopausal, but as you can see, I was about 36 when I started getting symptoms of RLS (creepy-crawlies) and during my periods my legs would ache really bad. My ObGyn gave me diuretics (that was before I even knew what RLS was). My legs got increasingly worse and by the time I was going through menopause and on HRTs, my legs were getting worse and worse. Then when the scare of taking HRTs was in the news, I took myself off of them, and my legs got really bad. Of course, by then I HAD no estrogen or progestrin. I'm with you guys. I think there's possibly a connection. I don't think it's a coincidence. We know RLS IS progressive, but too many of us have the same experience. I don't know. Hmmmmmmm!!!

jan3213

It's me again

Post by jan3213 »

It's Jan again.

I just re-read my post and it sounds confusing (to me anyway). I left the impression (I think) that going off the hormones made my legs worse. I think that was just the natural progression of RLS. I DO think HRTs and my periods made my RLS worse. THAT was my point. Sorry for the confusion!!!

Jan

claradragon

Re i am not alone

Post by claradragon »

I'm so glad i'm not the only one who can tell which side ovulation occurs on! :lol:

Do you think this is linked to sensitivities perhaps :?:

claradragon

becat

Post by claradragon »

by the way, good luck with the doc :)

becat

I thought someone something new

Post by becat »

Well clara, thank you for telling me I'm not the only one.
Doc visit wen better than I though with the OBGYN..........Even through it was time for the mammogram..."the twin crusher" sorry bad taste, just thought of it. Our visit in whole was done with laughter not a heavy mood.

1. I just told him I was mad at him, which seem to amuse him, so I ran with with lightened mood. He noticed it had been two years or so since my last visit and asked why....silly man. I told him that the last time I had come in and complained or informed him that my legs we're out of control in pain, that he wrote it off as PMS.....even though I had already self diagnosised and mentioned RLS. Oh what do you take for that if you have it? I told him about the different medications people we're now trying. I was also able to let him know that he should not ignore the women that come in and relay different symptoms, but there were many way to have this stuff.......I did mention that I could help him learn more and he seemed interested. SCORE!
I will have my printer fixed just for this. He's going to be a learner for us. One doc. at a time right.
hugs to all and wishes for rest.

Heronak

Post by Heronak »

Way to go, girl! Being assertive and positive really seems to have gotten thru to him, and perhaps turned him into an allie. Nicely done,

Heron

claradragon

Post by claradragon »

claradragon wrote:
fussybird wrote:

Rita

Hi i'm 34 and have noticed over the years that my body runs on a 5 week cycle...one good week,two of gradual downward spiraling followed by two of absolute torture then back to a good week.i believe there must be a link but my rls started way before menstruation...is it that in women menstruation exacerbates rls? It does seem to be that way

This i found at http://www.mdvu.org/library/disease/rls/rls_mao.html
RLS affects both male and female;however,females often seem to be more severely affected

Are women more severely affected because of the hormonal influances?