strange but true

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Dianne

strange but true

Post by Dianne »

I have been visiting my daugther on a regular basis, she lives in northern Manitoba. For some reason when I go there, I sleep through the night and have hardly any symptoms of RLS. When I come home I have the same problems, and my RLS is severe, so I don't get much sleep. I usually stay there for a week, and I was wondering if it might be all the minerals in the ground up there? Any ideas from anyone?

ronh

Post by ronh »

Well, I would not rule anything out but I don't think that a week up there would be enough time for minerals to have any real effect. If the source is ground water it would be interesting to test it and see exactly what is in it. I'd think a bit less of tap water but you may want to sample that as well and compare it to what you have at home. But, from what you say I'd tend to think that you're actually more relaxed when you're at your daughters house. Anxiety is a known factor in RLS regardless if you're mentally aware of it or not. If things are better each time you are at her house it may be due to a reduction in anxiety and that you're feeling more at ease. But, anxiety like RLS has a way of coming and going of its own accord. An extended stay just may have the RLS eventually reappear and then you would have to reevaluate it. Oh yes, one final point. When you head back home if you are mentally expecting RLS to reappear it probably will because your anxiety level is starting to increase from this concern. I know its hard but if you try to put a mental damper on this heading home it might ward off the symptoms for awhile or maybe reduce how bad they get. Meanwhile, if it works for you enjoy your visits!

jumpyowl

Stress

Post by jumpyowl »

Good point Ron on the effect of stress. I am making a note on this for the questionnaire. :)

I noticed myself that symptoms come more intense AND sooner on stressful days. It then helps to take a tranquilizer. 8)
Jumpy Owl

Little Lamb

Post by Little Lamb »

Doesn't just movement of the legs help for anyone?

becat

hi there

Post by becat »

Hi Littlelamb,
I a lifer with 40 years with the joy of RLS. Maybe it's just me, but I'm past just moving my legs. I hate going to movies, flying on planes, long car trips, even a prolong meeting is difficult. I've tried watching movies at home, but still have to move often. Most days stretching and moving do nothing to change my symptoms, BUT I have had this since most probably birth. My truest, earliest memories are of massive growing pains.
While your learning about this RLS stuff, you'll find that we all in different stages of life and the progression of RLS. That's why WE here are working hard to band together to fight for ourselves. Please if you haven't already go to the ORP in this general topic thread....we taking ideas for a questionare and comments about your history. For starters you could provide age, sex, diagnosis or not , how long and any meds you take now, plus other medical problems you have.
Thanks and welcome Littlelamb. You'll learn tons here and get the education needed to fight this stuff.
have a great day.

jan3213

Hi again Little Lamb

Post by jan3213 »

This is Jan again. I answered a post to you in another thread. It might have been New to RLS. Becat is absolutely right. Remember, I mentioned ORP also? As I said then, not only can you post your experiences (like she said) for other people, but you can read what other people have written and learn from them to see if any of what they posted applies to you. Remember, read, read, read. We're ALL here for you. And, as Becat said, we're all banding together to fight RLS!!!!! Take care!!!

Jan

Little Lamb

Post by Little Lamb »

Thank you, becat and jan. I want to learn about this and had my own theory that is proving to be all wrong. I'll have to check out the ORP thread you mentioned.

This forum is proving to be very informative.