My theory

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Little Lamb

My theory

Post by Little Lamb »

And I could be and probably am wrong about my thinking on rls. Perhaps those who don't use their legs much to move around are effected. I stand mostly all day and don't move much.

Is there anyone here who is active, moves around a lot, and has rls?

becat

hi

Post by becat »

Hi LittleLamb,
My grandmother worked in Food service for most 35-40 years. She was on her feet all day and moved most of that. She is now 87 years old and has been in pain most of the last 55-60 years. She is one of four members of my family that suffer from painful RLS. I have serveral others that do not suffer pain, but itch and twitch......and as my Mother says " does Bed Gymnastics".
I, myself move alot during the day. I am an artist and work from my home. When I'm really into a piece the concentration is very helpful and I could work sitting for hours at a time. Without the concentration I have to move and it doesn't always help.
This Rls does the craziest thing to each of us, in many different ways.

Little Lamb

Post by Little Lamb »

Wow! I'm surprised. I have rls figured wrong. I thought only people who stood all day long only got it. I found out otherwise coming here. People who sit down get it too.

And now with your post, I find out people who are active and move around a lot get it too.

This discussion board is very informative.

jan3213

activity and RLS

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Little Lamb. This is Jan.

I've always been pretty active--into aerobics, chasing after kids, etc., and I've had RLS for at least 20 years. I'm 56 now and I have the kind that hurts (at least it has started hurting in the last 6 months or so). I really don't know anyone personally who has it, other than the people on this board, but I believe it can happen to anyone--active or not. I'm no expert, just a sufferer like you. It's the pits, isn't it? The trick is to find a GOOD doctor who will listen to you!! Fortunately, I have a good doctor!! Good luck on your journey. And, if you ever need to vent, there are lots of people on this board who are more than willing to listen!!

Jan

Little Lamb

Post by Little Lamb »

Thank you for replying Jan. Right now, my rls is not that active. I'm greatful for that. It's annoying when it starts up. And there's people out there who don't seem to get a rest from it.

I have met a person who get it sometimes. I don't know what she has done about it. Maybe it's only mild for here. I really don't know.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

No problem Little Lamb. When I started 20 years ago, mine wasn't bad either. If I don't take my meds, I can't stand it! I don't want to worry you. You may never get that bad! Everyone is different!!!! Some people have it a lot worse than me!! We're all here for you!!

Jan

Little Lamb

Post by Little Lamb »

I guess we'll see what happens with me. I just hope mild exercise is enough. But we all have things we'd rather not deal with.

claradragon

active and inactive

Post by claradragon »

welcome little lamb
hi I'm clare and i'm 34. i've had rls as long as i can remember but have only recently realised what it was that was going on with my body.
i work 3 12 hour nights,saturday,sunday and monday,doing a very active job and on my 4 nights off i "rest".
my aches,pains and restlessness can be as bad on my 4 rest days as it is when i'm shifted in so i find for me it doesn't make much difference.
i admit when i first really started paying attention to what was going on inside me i experimented to see if it was related to activity/inactivity but found no difference then either(i didn't know i had rls then )

glad you find the board interesting and informative,there is so much useful information here and some pretty amazing people!

Little Lamb

Post by Little Lamb »

Thank you Clare! I'm here to make friends as well as learn about rls.

Heronak

RLS & Activity

Post by Heronak »

Hi LL,

Yes, I'm very active, work out 5-6 times a week (cardio & weights), hike and cycle. I've had RLS all my life, and have never correlated inactivity with increased RLS, nor increased activity with lessened RLS. But that's just me, your mileage may vary...

All the best,

Heron

Little Lamb

Post by Little Lamb »

What causes rls? Or is that the million dollar question? Who gets it?

jumpyowl

???

Post by jumpyowl »

What causes rls? Or is that the million dollar question? Who gets it?

I can ask a more simple question that has to be answered first:

What is RLS?

LL, read some treatise on the disease. We even posted some excerpts on this board. Also there is a medical bulletin on this web site that is darn good.
Jumpy Owl