RLS PMS and Sleep

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
claradragon

RLS PMS and Sleep

Post by claradragon »

Hi everyone,

I've noticed a few times there seems to be a link with rls and pms/hormones so i did a bit of looking and found this site

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/publications/women.cfm#1

It explains in detail the link with hormone changes during the cycle which lead to reduced amounts of deep sleep!

Hope it helps to answer a few questions! :lol:

Sole

Post by Sole »

Good information, Claradragon. Thanks for posting it!
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

jumpyowl

Hello, Clara

Post by jumpyowl »

There were two things of interest to RLS sufferers as a man I could tell from your reference. One is the well known fact that progesterone level increases in the second half the period coupled with the less know fact that descending level of pregosterone interferes with sleep, i.e decreases the ammount of slow wave sleep (so does RLS).

Later in the month women may find it more difficult to fall asleep. This may be related to the rapidly falling levels of progesterone. Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) symptoms may occur during the later portion of this phase (starting about days 22-28 ). The most common sleep-related problems reported by women with PMS are: insomnia (difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, waking up too early or waking unrefreshed).

The other one is the nocturnal eating disorder which can also be caused by other sleep disorders such as... and here it mentions RLS!

Nocturnal Sleep-Related Eating Disorder

Persons with nocturnal sleep-related eating disorder (NS-RED), an uncommon condition, eat food during the night while they appear asleep. Since parts of the brain that control memory are asleep, people with NS-RED cannot remember nighttime eating.

NS-RED can occur during sleepwalking. It can be caused by medications (e.g., some drugs prescribed for depression or insomnia) or by sleep disorders (sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome) that cause awakenings and trigger sleep-eating

I wonder how many RLS patients suffer from NS-RED? Since we are missing out on the deep sleep stages, we probably would remember if we ate?
Jumpy Owl

kanie

RLS and PMS

Post by kanie »

I just signed up to find out if other women their RLS is worse around that time of month. I suffer from RLS almost every night, but is unbearable around my period. Thank goodness, I have medication to mask(relieve) the symptoms but sometimes they don't even work. Thanks.

jumpyowl

Welcome

Post by jumpyowl »

What medications do you use to relieve the symptoms? We are running an ORP (our research project here so we are collecting data).

Do you have a caring knowledgable physician to treat you?
Last edited by jumpyowl on Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy Owl

claradragon

rls and peroids

Post by claradragon »

Hi kanie and welcome :lol:

Check out the rls inceased by hrt's topic in this forum....it has more discussion on this topic :wink:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

wanted to reply to the woman who wanted to know if RLS was worse right before your period. YES that is how I know it is just about that time of the month...no need for a calendar! My med helps the rest of the month but forget it in the week before my period.