summer rls

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
genestevens

summer rls

Post by genestevens »

i read that rls often worsens in the summer for no known reason. I propose that the increased activity associated with more outdoor related work (mowing, gardening, sports, etc...) in the summer aggrevates the neck and/or spine which triggers the rls symptoms. This may occur in those whose rls is related primarily to CNS lesions in the spine. This is true for me. My rls began when i experienced a severe shock in my spine while shoveling. Activity that causes more back related exercise aggrevates the condition like mowing. I am basically symptom free till the summer. Any thoughts?

becat

welcome

Post by becat »

hi Gene and welcome to our ever growing club.
I'm Becat, a lifer, and my bio is on page one of New/current members, in the new to RLS thread. This gives us all an advantage while posting, less time spent explaining bio. Or in general topic there is a Our Research Project, headed by our most wonderful Jumpyowl. We would love for you to fill our a bio, we're doing our own research project.
As for your question.
Yes, I believe that there are many people here that suffer due to injury or surgery. Not sure what the doc. name for it is, but I know there is one. There are many here like myself that have this genetically, I'm blessed with both sides of my family.
My RLS was mild, except during my "ladies' monthly" :oops: and my symptons were easily handled with vitamins and hot baths, massage.....
Until 10 years ago, Dec. 14.......I broke my ankle in 4 places. My life changed forever at that moment. Summer are harder for me due to humidity, car/plane trips are more frequent, and the activities I do dearly love....my gardens.
Yesteday, I worked outside, in the sun, playing in the dirt, all around wonder stuff. I gave the shrubs a good haircut and cleaned it all up. By 5 pm I was ready for major drugs and bed. Didn't happen, but I was at a peak with My RLS.......I understand where your at.
The advantage for me during the winter months is the more steady humidty and the cold. Frozen feet often feel less pain.
The factor of your RLS being seasonal is an advantage for you. You know when and why for the most part. Feel lucky about that, most of us are lost in the woods trying to find the when and why.
I hope you registar, stick around and keep posting with us. Sounds like you could learn and teach along with the rest of us.
Have a great day, keep us in the loop.

Sole

Post by Sole »

Hi Gene,

I've heard people complain about RLS worsening in the summer too. But I"ve also heard people speak of it worsening in the winter or rainy months. I'm like you. My RLS is always worse in the summer. For me, it's the heat. The heat makes my legs go nuts. Inactivity or activty do not play a part in my RLS roller coaster. FWIW.

Welcome!
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

jan3213

Summer and RLS

Post by jan3213 »

Welcome Gene, I'm Jan

My bio is on page 1/New to RLS/New Members and Current Members Please Help.

My RLS seems to ebb and flow no matter what the season. I believe stress has a great deal to do with how bad mine is. Everybody is different. And, food triggers mine. Becat is right about checking out the ORP site under General. Jumpyowl is a great source. We have so many wonderful people on this site, two of whom have already welcomed you!! Like Becat said, I also hope you register and become a part of us. This is a great "community" of people who care and are all willing to share by helping, listening and doing whatever they can to help you through your journey. I also "inherited" this wonderful gift called RLS. And, I'm afraid I'm going to pass the "gift" to my own children. Fortunately, I have a great doctor who listens to me. That's the key. And, knowledge is the other key. Arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can. Again, welcome!! Hope to hear from you again!!

Jan