Article: Lost Sleep Leads to Health Problems

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
shorne

Article: Lost Sleep Leads to Health Problems

Post by shorne »

Hello everyone,

I receive a newsletter from HealthCentral.com on general health issues and this article was in the newsletter I read today. It shows just how serious loss of sleep is.... effects on blood pressure, stress hormones, blood sugar, diabetes, leptin (and weight gain), inflammation and heart disease.

Lost Sleep Leads to Health Problems

FRIDAY, Aug. 13 (HealthDayNews) -- Lack of sleep can cause more than drowsiness; it can contribute to a number of health problems.

Short-term effects of lack of sleep include increases in blood pressure and levels of stress hormones, according to an article in the August issue of the Harvard Heart Letter.

When it's sleep-deprived, the body has more difficulty processing blood sugar and has reduced levels of leptin, an appetite-suppressing hormone. These changes can increase the risk of weight gain and diabetes. Lack of sleep also increases inflammation in the body, which is believed to be an important factor in the development of heart diseases.

The Harvard Heart Letter offers the following advice on how to improve your sleep:

* Establish a regular bedtime schedule in order to set your internal clock.
* Avoid alcohol. While it may make you drowsy, it also makes you wake more easily later on.
* Regular exercise can help you get a good night's sleep. But don't exercise within three hours of bedtime.
* Try to reduce consumption of coffee, tea and other caffeinated beverages and avoid them during the afternoon and evening.
* If your sleep is disturbed by having to urinate during the night, try drinking more fluids in the morning and afternoon and limiting your fluid intake after dinner.
* Check your mattress and pillow to make sure they're providing you with proper support.

The National Sleep Foundation has more about how to get a good nights sleep (www.sleepfoundation.org ).

Until next time.
Thanks for listening, Sue

jan3213

Article on Sleep

Post by jan3213 »

Sue, this is Jan

I think your articles are great, Sue. Keep them coming! One thing I might add is that I read somewhere that sleepy drivers are more dangerous (or as dangerous) than drunk drivers! I went through a period last spring where I was severely sleep deprived and had a sleep test. As you can see from my bio, I've had RLS for a long time, but we thought something else might be at play. Turns out that they discovered I had PLMD (duh, we AREADY knew that) and the sleep doc decided that my sleep problem was due to stress. I don't know--maybe. Anyway, I was falling asleep at the wheel, so I didn't drive for quite awhile. I couldn't even drive in town. I existed on 2 hours sleep a night for about 3 or 4 weeks. NOT GOOD. That does things to your mind!!! FINALLY, we got it under control. Because of all the meds I'm for RLS, he was hesitant to give me any type of med to help me sleep. I saw a therapist and followed a strict sleep hygiene schedule. Got better. But I can personally attest to the fact that sleep is extremely important. We really take it for granted. I know many of us don't get enough. But that period in my life was the worst time. Thanks for sharing what you do.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.