What factors worsen or lessen RLS?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
allan

What factors worsen or lessen RLS?

Post by allan »

My wife has RLS so I suffer vicariously. RLS runs in her family, with two of three sisters having it. Symptoms occur when she is sitting or lying down; standing or walking brings relief.

Over the years we've noticed factors that seem to worsen/improve her symptoms. I'd like to hear if others agree or disagree.

Symptoms worsen
-in summertime,
-when she is tired,
-when she is bored.

Her symptoms are helped by
-Mirapex,
-lying on her side on the floor while watching TV,
-playing Chinese checkers.

Chinese checkers is remarkably alleviative in her case. By the end of the third game, win or lose, her legs have calmed down.

Allan

jan3213

Factors that worsen or lessen RLS

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Allen, this is Jan

I've had RLS for approx. 20 years. My bio info is at the end of my post.

Welcome to our "familiy". I'm sorry your wife has RLS and that you have to suffer, and I know you do, because my husband has also suffered with me for a long time.

As far as what helps or worsens symptons of RLS, it, quite frankly, depends on each individual. Some symptoms, are common. Symptoms seem to always occur when RLS "victims" are at rest, especially at night and yes, standing or walking usually brings relief, at least for me. I have been known to walk all night long (sometimes my husband has walked with me--in my house, of course). I also take Mirapex. As far as Chinese Checkers, sometimes it helps to occupy your mind on something so you are not concentrating on your legs. I have gotten out of bed to watch T.V. or got on the computer, read a book, taken a hot bath. Sometimes these things help, sometimes not.

Weather doesn't seem to effect my RLS one way or the other. But if you read some of the posts, some people are effected by hot or cold weather. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not I'm tired or bored. If I eat too much sugar, I notice that seems to make my RLS worse.

I would advise reading as many of the posts as you can. There is a lot of good information on this forum and many wonderful people who could help you. Perhaps your wife would like to join. I know it can be hard on the spouse of an RLS victim, too. I understand. I know that my husband would like to help me and it frustrates him that he can't. I also know that I keep him awake sometimes. It really effects everyone in the whole household! Does your wife have a good, caring doctor? That's really important--a doctor who is willing to listen to her. And, the other important thing is that you both educate yourselves as much as possible about RLS, because you are your own best advocates!!! There is a lot of good information on this website and a lot of wonderful people who can help you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Someone will see and answer. We have people who are very knowledgeable regarding pharmaceuticals, people who are very good at researching, and people who are good at listening when you are frustrated and just want to vent.

Again, welcome!! We all care!!!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.