Restless Leg Syndrome Awareness Week

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ksxroads

Restless Leg Syndrome Awareness Week

Post by ksxroads »

A co worker stopped me in the hall and said he heard on the radio this morning that this is National Awareness Week for Restless Leg Syndrome.

So I checked it out and dang if it isn't!

http://www.thankscompany.com/pages/date ... ly06.shtml

Hazey
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

RLS Awareness Week is actually Sept 18-24 this year and RLS Awareness Day is on Sept 22. I don't know where the mix up is.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I think it is always round about the 23rd of September, the birthday of dr Ekbom!

Corrie

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Well I figured there would be more notice here! Good that we are getting more exposure anyways! Love ya Hazey
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

That's awesome!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

By the way, is anyone from the board going to San Antonio for the RLS conference?

becat

Post by becat »

This close to home you know I'll be there. And......And my personal hero in this community will be a guest speaker. Dr. William Ondo. Oh, I feel like I'm meeting ELvis (would be big for me to have met Elvis, since from the age of 3 I was going to marry him lol).
Anyway, After years, alone, up at night reading medical libraries online. I found a paper written by Dr. Ondo and some guy named Dr. Phillip Becker (my doctor now :) ), there was a phrase about adults having what seemed to be growing pains......and it had a name......I cried for about 2 hours. I knew what to call what had tortured me since early childhood.
You bet I'll be there. Which reminds me about another post I need to make.
Love hugs and the moon.
Yahoo! Lynne

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Ruby will be there!!! Can't wait to see everyone who can make it!
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

For anyone who is into learning and likes meeting other RLSers along with their fellow board members, it's quite an experience. Truly an experience. The first year I went, I was like you are Em. No hope, no doctor, and in hell. I happened to sign in here just three weeks before it was to start. I found a cheap flight and though, what the heck?

It saved my life. I learned so much there. I talked to some of the experts and I started to figure out what to do to get out of hell. At the social event/dinner, I met Lynne, Ruby, Mike, Jumpy, Neph, and others. What wonderful people they were in person as well as on here. So, for me, it's got a lot of positive memories.

Last year was even better in a way. I wasn't so strung out and could actually pay attention!

So, if anyone is fence-sitting, or even thinks it's probably not much fun, it might be worth reevaluating.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

becat

Post by becat »

I would like to say that the first night in Long Beach, I walked up to Ruby and knew I was home. It was strangely warm and exciting to meet everyone I had been chatting with here on the board. I mean, I hadn't let my feelings out in such a way, in so long, and yet I knew it was ok, and there was a love here. Does that make sense? It was a bit overwhelming.

Seating there with a group of people I had never met and wacthing the door, just knowing that must be Ruby (that laugh), Ann ( that smile gets me everytime), Jumpowl, (was a set of eyes this man has) Mike (Mike from PA, he's the man) and then Neph (what a funny man and just so delightful to be with)....it was like having lived in another family all my life and finding one that already knew me, and I felt loved. My family loves me, but they will probably never understand why RLS is so important to me, this family does.

I'd tell everyone that thinks it's possible to go this year. It's a different program in many ways this year and I just can't wait to meet and see you all. My heart and love are always with each of you. Family, they come from the heart, this board is all about that.

Ya'll come and see us this year. It's going to be hot and probably humid, but we'll have a great time. Learn some things, meet some new docs, and then it's on......I know San Anotnio and we can all walk to whatever we want to do.
I can't wait.
Lynne

runsinbed

Post by runsinbed »

It's a little disheartening to see that this Education Awareness week is listed along with things like "National Baked Bean Month" and "Don't Step on a Bee Day". LOL! Hey--at least it's getting out there, right? :P

Seriously, though--I actually heard on the radio that this was RLS Awareness week as well. The DJ went on to say that he really didn't know what RLS is but he's seen the commercial--then proceeded to rant about pharmaceutical commercials. If anyone's in the Philadelphia area, it was Pierre Robert on WMMR.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Views and Becat have said it true and true. This board is wonderful and I can't imagine living without it and everyone here. But when you meet the ones you have talked to, supported, been supported by, you truly feel like you've come home from a long trip to loved ones. I knew Becat the minute I saw her (although I was a little hesitant to approach just in case I was wrong). But there she was, my beautiful Becat and it was like finding a part of my soul. That's the way it was with all of us. We knew we belonged together. So yes, if you can make it and feel like you want this rush.....As for myself, I can't wait.

becat

Post by becat »

OO Ruby how beautifully you put that. I love you. Your my wings, always have been, always will be. My angel that saved me.
I'm crying now, thanks alot. :lol:
I hope God knows just how special this place is. These people.
You said it best.
and thank you, my soul has it's place for you too. awwwww can't type now.