can requip cause Fibromyalgia to Flare?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.

can requip cause Fibromyalgia to Flare?

Post by Guest »

I finally couln't take it any more. No sleep and the need to get up and run along with feeling like I could scratch my legs off. I went to the doctor and he gave me requip to try. Every day I take it I get a real bad headach and my Fibromyalgia KILLS me. I didn't know I could hurt so bad. I take my Soma and wake fine, but is this a common side effect?

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Guest,

I am so sorry your are having so many problems. I too was diagnosed by a rheumatologist with fibro while trying to find a doctor familiar with RLS. It is a very fine line we walk! What is fibro and what is RLS.

Another member of this discussion group recently began Requip and has complained of headaches. Recently in one of the ads headache was listed as a possible side affect.

My first question would be what is the Requip doseage and when do you take it. Does the Requip stop the RLS sensations that you were experiencing at night? Are you experiencing any problems with the RLS sesations beginning earlier, evidently from what you are saying I might suspect that they are intensifying. REMEMBER I am not a doctor! Just trying to offer some help from my own personal experience, which is very limited, I finally received both diagnosis last year.

Several doctors told me that my fibro would be worse in the winter. Truthfully my physical problems are much more painful in the summer months. So I am now wondering what they have thought to be fibro, may actually be related to painful RLS ...

The soma and Requip are two different classes of medications and work differently, so it is understandable that the Soma gives you relief that you will not experience with the Requip.

I urge you to register and keep posting. There are many here who are very knowledgable and can offer assistance.

************Positive Energy********

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

I have had RLS for quite awhile

Post by Guest »

I have had RLS for quite a while. About 3 years ago I had a great doctor who mentioned this and when I researched it I went OHHHH!! YA!!! I moved to Florida from Seattle 2 years ago and don't know if it has been the move or age that is making the RLS worse.

I got the sample pack from the doctor which starts at .25 and now I am almost done with the .5 and will in a day be at 1mg. All I know is that the pain is so bad after 2 hours of taking it I couldn't sleep if my life depended on it unless I take something for the pain. I didn't see it as a side effect, but who knows.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I may be wrong, but maybe read through some back posts. It may take some hunting, but I am almost positive I've read of other people saying they get pain from one or more of the DAs (dopamine agonists). I can't remember if it was Mirapex, Requip, or both. Worse, it could have been on the Yahoo RLS board.

BUT! I am 99.8 percent certain I did read of at least two other people saying the same thing. . . Not sure that helps you at all. . .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

The online pdr lists the following side affects
Abdominal pain, abnormal dreaming, abnormal muscle movements, abnormal vision, amnesia, anxiety, arthritis, bronchitis, confusion, constipation, decreased muscle movements, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, eye problems, fainting, falling, fatigue, hallucinations, headache, increased sweating, indigestion, joint pain, leg swelling, nausea, nervousness, pain, paralysis, respiratory tract infection, runny nose, sinus inflammation, skin tingling, sore throat, swelling, tremor, urinary tract infection, viral infections, vomiting, weakness

You can use the search option at the top of this page and look for previous posts relating to pain and DAs.

I found reading the letters to the dr on the Southern California RLS website helpful

http://www.rlshelp.org

Another thing to consider is any medications prescribed or OTC you may be taking which worsen the RLS...

The following medications (dopamine-antagonist agents) may cause significant worsening of RLS in some patients.
Administer with EXTREME CAUTION:

Anti-nauseates—Benadryl, Antivert, Atarax, Bonine, Compazine, Phenergan, Thorazine, Tigan, Trilaton, Vistaril, Reglan; suggested alternatives: Anzemet, Kytril, Zofran

Anti-psychotics—Haldol, Loxitane, Mellaril, Moban, Navane, Prolixin, Risperdal, Serentil, Stelazine, Thorazine, Vesperin

Atypical Neuroleptics—approach with caution: Clozaril, Risperdal, Seroquel, Zyprexa; suggested alternative: Abilify

Anti-depressants—ALL can cause RLS worsening; possible advantage with Wellbutrin, trazodone, desipramine, Serzone, Remereon
Wellbutrin is thought to work by altering levels of the brain chemicals norepinephrine and dopamine. It is not chemically related to other antidepressants such as tricyclics (Elavil), MAO inhibitors (Nardil, Parnate), or serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (Paxil and Prozac).

Anti-histamines—BEWARE of ALL, especially Benadryl & OTC/Rx combination cold/sinus/cough medications: Actifed, Comtrex, Contact, Dimetapp, Triaminic, TheraFlu, Vicks cough syrup, Tylenol PM, Excedrin PM, Bayer PM, Sominex, Unisom;
suggested alternatives: Allegra, Alavert, Claritin, Clarinex

In General:
antidepressants, neuroleptic agents, dopamine-blocking antiemetics such as metoclopramide or sedating antihistamines (including those found in nonprescription medications) may be contributing to RLS sensations

Some have indicated that the following medications increased their RLS:

Steroid Inhalers – Allebuteral

Muscle Relaxants – Flexeril, Soma

Cortisone spinal injections bothers some, others had no problems.

A medical card print out of this information may be obtained From the So Cal RLS Group: www.rlshelp.org

It is really a rough time with the high pressure fronts, heat, humidity... I am so sorry that things are so painful for you. Hope it helps to know that others can empathise.

If you have concerns about the requip, you may want to call the doctor and see if he feels you should discontinue its use.

*************Positive Thoughts*************

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

drug digest dot org specifically lists joint and muscle pain as side effects that need to be reported to your physician...

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0 ... ip,00.html

What side effects may I notice from taking ropinirole? (Back to top)
Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
Rare or Less common:
•chest pain
•fainting
•falling
•fast or irregular heartbeat
•increase or decrease in blood pressure
•joint or muscle pain
•loss of bladder control
•mental depression, anxiety, nervousness or other changes in behavior or mood
•numbness, tingling, or prickly sensations
•shortness of breath, troubled breathing, tightness in chest, or wheezing
•sudden sleep episodes, even while doing normal activities
•trouble swallowing
•uncontrollable movements of the arms, face, hands, head, mouth, shoulders, or upper body
•vision changes

coaster

Post by coaster »

I also have FMS and tried Requip. I didn't notice any particular connection between Requip and my FMS symptoms; but then you know how they bizarrely vary from day to day for no particular good reason.