Foot Pain

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
brandy

Foot Pain

Post by brandy »

For the past couple of months (as I have dealt with augmentation from Requip, cruddy doctors who are no help, lots of waiting, etc), I have noticed an increase in pain in my feet and ankles. Two years ago I badly sprained both ankles and broke my foot and will occasionally have pain if I've been on my feet all day. Since everything has fallen apart, my feet and ankles are hurting a great deal all of the time. In the morning when I get up, I want to cry when I put my feet on the floor, they hurt so much. Could this be because my RLS/PLMS is not under control, so I am just moving my feet all the time and this is just soreness as a result, or could there be another reason? I will talk to my doctor about it tomorrow, but I wanted to know what you guys thought.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Brandy,

It may be that it is indirectly related to the unmanaged RLS/PLMD. When we are not able to achieve quality restorative sleep, have continuous pain, our bodies pain signals can be heightened.

During sleep I know that I flex my feet alot as DH has told me, so it is possible that is a contributing factor too... hopefully the doctor will be able to work with you and you will find some relief soon.

**********Positive Healing Energy**********

Hope to hear some good news soon! Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

brandy i just posted the same thing about my feet on the bad bad day post. omg, someone else has the same issue i do. my feet in the morning feel like someone has beat them with a hammer and then i have to walk on them. it is awful. are your joints stiff also when you get up, my fingers are stiff too when i wake up? keep me posted.

this actually just started with me about a month ago. i have a doc appt on monday, hopefully he can help with this and let me know what is causing it.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

becat

Post by becat »

Hi Dee Hazel and Brandy,
I am close to saying that Hazel is right on. I used to say, all the time, my feet feel broken. I do think that proit injury is part of it, but the big hitter is moving all night long even if your drugged and sleeping.
It's the same concept as us telling an anthesia person about RLS before surgery,......Yup go ahead and drug me and then for goodness sake tie me down so I don't move.
I would also tell you that after years of doing this in our sleep, that climbing mountains, while our eyes hopefully shut at night, is simply over excerising your legs, and feet all night long.
Maybe Hazel would agree, that with some pain control that will ease a bit. My worst attack since having the choice of pain control, was still bad, but not like before. Now if I over do it the day before, like today, I wake up achy, but I really moved yesterday. I'm not a heavy woman, and look like I'm inn good shape, but I only walk a mile and half 5 out 7 nights now for some constant build up of my muscles.....HA HA thath I'm not getting in while sleeping.
I hope all the doctors appts are just perfect. Good communitcation between you all, help with answer not more test, and you come home with a sense that you've found a partner in this on the medical side.
Remember it' is ok to fight for yourself and a good treatment. Don't leave until your questions are answered.
Hug love and the moon
Lynne

brandy

Post by brandy »

Thanks for the info. I hadn't really seen on the site where anyone else had talked about the kind of pain I was experiencing that was not some sort of neuropathy or RLS directly related pain. I hope that our doctors can offer some help! Thanks for always being a place I can come with questions or just a place to vent. 25.5 hours to go until my appt!
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Brandy...
I know what you mean when you say you want to cry early in the morning when you first put your feet on the floor...exactly what you mean.
Lots of times I hobble around the room for a few minutes, putting my clothes on, grabbing my watch and wallet until that pain in my feet gradually subsides...not all the way but it gets better.
I went to a foot doctor, thinking maybe I needed more arch support or had some kind of foot problem, he told me I had Neuropathy. When I told my Neurologist about it he just about hit the roof. He said..."If that guy tries to tell you you have Neuropathy, you can tell him you already have a Neurologist who's checked you for that and he can stop trying to steal your money on these needless tests". But, by then it was too late, I'd already taken this test for Neuropathy, one where they jab your foot with needles, one needle and then two needles. The foot Dr. told me I did great on the one needle...I could always feel that, but I did Terrible with the two needles. I guess that usually doesn't happen.
So...where does that leave me? Do I or don't I. According to the Neuro, I don't. According to the Foot Dr., some things point to a yes.

:?:

:?

I just go along. While they hash it out...or maybe not hash it out, I take Lyrica and it works pretty well for foot pain.

Sometimes if feels like I have a pebble glued to the bottom of my foot...at night time especially. And like you say, first thing in the morning lots of times I don't like to put my feet on the floor.

good luck
God Bless
Randy

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Same thing happens to me since being on meds for RLS: very achy in the morning, subsiding in the next 2 hours (probably because of Tramadol).

Corrie

brandy

Post by brandy »

I noticed when I woke at 4 AM and took a Tramadol, the foot pain was not as bad when I got to get ready for the day, so the Tramadol is probably doing the trick.

becat

Post by becat »

Ok I just woke up and I thought I could add to this part very easily this morning.
I slept last night, after I fixed the air conditioner. :roll: and we had some late night family stress. That should be fixed sometime today.
But this morning, my bed, my pets, my legs and my feet tell me what kind of night I really had.
My pets? well, after my husband goes to work, they pile on one at time. each one of the 3 were somewhre along the otherside of the bed,.....the edge of it to keep clear of my legs.
the bed? torn to bits, looks like we were passionate last night, if only that were the answer, right?
My legs and feet? are telling me that I climbed mountains all night long. I could go for pain meds now. Remember Islept through the night to my knowlwdge, but I can bet I've have already done my major workout for the day.
RLS pain is about the same every day, might be more or less intense, but it does not move around like with fibro. That is one easy way to tell a little about your pain. Today might be a phone and email day for me.
Hugs to you all
Lynne

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

ok, i just got back from neurologist. I told him about the foot pain in the morning when I stood up and he told me it was just part of this RLS. He checked my reflexes, stuck me with the pins, and made sure my brain was functioning by telling him if he was pushing my toes up or down. He upped my pain med because he said it was wearing off early because my system was getting used to the dosage. The nurse told me something interesting that i didn't know, her husband has rls and she had read there is a nutrient in walnuts that helps people with rls. she has been buying him walnuts and he eats some everynight and he says it has helped his. i am not above trying anything at this point lol besides i like walnuts. so basically my rls is the same, just my system getting used to the pain med, and unfortunately the foot pain he said is just another crappy part of rls. sigh :?

ps. he did tell me the pain was not neuropothy.

dee

Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

neelia

Post by neelia »

I have recently been experiencing pain in my righ instep. I wondered if it was an RLS thing, or just old age :laughing: Anyway, it is good to hear that I am not the only one!!

coaster

Post by coaster »

becat wrote:......Yup go ahead and drug me and then for goodness sake tie me down so I don't move.

Ha ha ... I actually had this happen to me. 12 years ago I had to have biateral knee arthroscopy. This was before I knew I had RLS. They planned to give me a spinal block. After the surgery I woke up very groggy. I was told they gave me the spinal, the surgeon started in on me but I started kicking, so they gave me a second spinal, I kept on kicking, and they finally gave me a general. Man, it took forever for that spinal block to wear off. But even double strength wasn't enough to stop RLS. :lol:

Oh, and on topic: my heels have been hurting the last several months. :roll:

dnelson

Post by dnelson »

This is my first post. I've been checking in periodically and reading what others are saying. RLS is not new to me. I think I've had it most of my life - my mother and my grandmother (who also had it) always called it "the willies." :wink: I didn't really need medication until a few years ago, and it worked pretty well for awhile. But for the past year, it's been getting worse and requiring a change in meds and constantly increasing them. What prompted me to register and respond today was the topic of foot pain. I have excruciating pain in my left foot. The foot doc says it's plantar fasciitis. I am wearing orthotics now, but it's not really helping. I even asked him if it could have anything to do with RLS, and he immediately said No. But as we all know, there's just so much doctors don't know about RLS. Anyway, is this the type of pain some of you are experiencing? The worst pain is when I first put my feet on the floor in the morning - or the middle of the night. Also, I am having pain that I have assumed was sciatica - Pain starts in my hip and runs all the way down my leg. Especially hurts in my calf. I'm only 56 but I feel like I hobble around like I'm 80! Anyone else having this problem? I am allergic to aspirin and all NSAIDS, so I can't get much relief from the pain. Tylenol just doesn't get it. Sorry my first post is so long, but I feel like maybe I've found somebody who understands!!

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

dnelson

i have the same type pain also, i too thought it was sciatica. but it was RLS. i had no nerve damage that they could find, or any tumors in my pelvic area, so i was sent to a neurologist who said it was RLS. sometimes the pain down the back of my leg and all the all the way into the bottom of my foot is an indescribable pain. and when its like that the pain meds just basically dull it, it doesn't get rid of it, just dulls it. and that bites! tylenol does nothing, you might as well eat an m&m. print off info on rls and show it to your doc. that will probably help you out. there is a lot of info out there on RLS, even though few drs really know anything about it.

good luck

dee

Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

dnelson, I hate to say this, but I've had the same pain for several months. I do not like it! I have also wondered if it is sciatica. I've had a lot of problems with this hip - I have some weird tendon issue that highschool female gymnasts get - except I got it when I was 30-something and the only gymnastics I participated in was watching the Olympics!

But, I digress!

I don't know what it is. I could be the RLS. It could be sciatica. I haven't had the inclination to see the doc - I know it won't be fun. Nothing with RLS ever is. But, mine comes and goes and seems to get better when I move around. Seems to. I haven't had it in about a week. Hmmm, wonder why?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.