Is there any connection between osteomyelitis and RLS?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.

I was wondering if anyone has heard or read anything, anywhere to connect RLS to Acute osteomyelitis (infection of the bone and muscles around the bone).

Poll ended at Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:08 am

Yes
No votes
No
No votes
Posting more information
No votes

Total votes: 0

SusanM

Is there any connection between osteomyelitis and RLS?

Post by SusanM »

I was wondering if anyone has heard or read anything, anywhere to connect RLS to Acute osteomyelitis (infection of the bone and muscles around the bone).

I was diagnosed with RLS after an extremley long recovery from a simple microdiskectomy procedure that resulted in osteomyelitis.

All symptoms pointed towards RLS and I began taking Mirapex. I am still on Mirapex, the pain had subsided for quite some time and then in march of this year I was t-boned by a drunk driver which resulted in further herniation of the disc ...I now have two full fusions between C5 & C6 and C6 and C7 with a metal bracket and screws to reinforce the spine.

The RLS has reared its ugly head again, and again I am up walking the floors to the point of frustration and tears. :cry:

Sometimes a warm bath helps - that is where I am headed next, but while this is painfully on my mind and body I wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on this issue and while I am at it, does anyone else get some relief from a warm bath?
Susan

Night is the blotting paper for many sorrows. ~Author Unknown

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Susan,

So sorry you are having to add RLS to your problems. You certainly have been through enough as it is.

Here is a link to Ann's post of diseases for which RLS can be secondary.

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1840& ... ondary+rls

I closed this before searching for osteomyelitis, today is not a good day for this ole woman!

RLS can be caused by spinal injury, surgery. Unfortunately, often there is nothing that can be done to reverse the problem.

Warm baths are among the many tricks that help to manage RLS, for more tips and tricks you might want to visit Jill Gunzel's website

http://members.cox.net/gunzel/rls.html

You may also want to read through the posts in the non pharmaceutical therapies section.

**********Positive thoughts************ Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Susan, it is the back procedure that is probably the culprit. The new hypothesis is that RLS is directly related to the dopamine in our spinal cord. Many people get RLS after injury, surgery, of even spinal procedures like taps. The infection doesn't have anything to do with it to my knowledge.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SusanM

Thank you

Post by SusanM »

Thank you both so much for the information. I think that by asking about the baths helping - I was clutching at straws, hoping that perhaps this wasn't really RLS at a last ditch effort to deny what I know to be true, thinking if baths helped me, maybe it wasn't RLS. Foolish I know, but it was a hope against hope - I guess I need to call the doc and ask to raise the dosing level of the mirapex. This will be the 2nd time.

I will definately make use of the information you have supplied for me, I don't understand all the ins and outs of this Illness, disease(?) :oops: as I suppose no one does - but I am so willing to listen to others who have been there, done that.

I am thankful for this forum. Thank you again for your help.
Susan

Night is the blotting paper for many sorrows. ~Author Unknown

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Susan, some of the best information is in the posts. Start in the New to RLS section and read the "sticky" posts. It will give you a good grounding it RLS, what it is, how to treat it.

Then go to the Pharma section and read the sticky. If you are increasing your Mirapex, that may or may not be good. Read the pharma sticky on augmentation and see if it applies to you. Hopefully not - but they estimate that 30% of those who take DAs do have this happen.

Sorry that you had to find our forum. I do hope that you learn more about it and how to manage it. As to what to call it? I usually say disorder. We know that it's related to iron insufficiency in the brain a dopamine regulation.

Happy reading!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.