new to this and very nervous

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
perfectlyflawed

new to this and very nervous

Post by perfectlyflawed »

Hey everyone im 20 and ive had "leg issues" my whole life whether it was horrible charlie horses, "growing pains" that i had every night for 5 years you'de think i was 6 feet tall, IM 5'3 ahaha, or the constant kicking in my sleep tossing and turning. I am very scared of doctors, needles, and all that jazz..not to mention my doctors conclusion to all my problems is my wieght problem. Well ive only been over wieght for a short time and these feeling have gone on wayyyyy before the chub! Can some who has been treated explain what tests they run and what they possibly perscribe..i take vicodin once in a while it releaves me a bit before i sleep but i try not to make a habit of it! ide love any help yall could give and i appologize for typing and spelling like a "blogging" 20 year old ! thanks agian :lol:

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear 20 blogger! *Big Grin*

There is no set test for RLS. Determination usually follows a doctor reviewing your medical history and symptoms... and the following is the

Criteria From the Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation
Restless Legs Syndrome is an overwhelming urge to move the legs usually caused by uncomfortable or unpleasant sensations in the legs. The sensations have the following features:
• Occur during periods of inactivity
• Become more sensitive in the evening and at night
• Are relieved by movement of the limb
• Often cause difficulty staying or falling asleep, which leads to feelings of daytime tiredness or fatigue
• May cause involuntary jerking of the limbs during sleep and sometimes during wakefulness

I use hydrocodone 5 each night for my RLS and it has helped improve my sleep tremendously. Once in a great while I may need an additional 5 but that is few and far between.

Please read through the New to RLS section as there is a wealth of information there that will help you understand what RLS is and what treatments are available.

*************Positive Thoughts************

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

brandy

Post by brandy »

Don't worry, flawed! You are among friends. And some of us have had the same problems all of our lives. I am 27 and have had RLS my whole life as well. I, too, had trouble getting a proper diagnosis. I ended up doing my own research and taking that to my doctor and basically diagnosing myself. Unfortunately, as I have learned by experience and by reading others here, we often have to learn to take care of ourselves. That's the bad news. The good news is that you will find a ton of people who will be caring and supportive and that will offer guidance and encouragement every step of the way. The first thing to do is read through some of the "New to RLS" stuff, print out what you think might be helpful and make an appointment with a doctor. If the doctor you currently have is not helpful, find another one. Many of us go through several before we find one who "sticks." There are treatments available and you do not have to live a tortured life. Unfortunately, there is often trial and error involved, although some people hit the jackpot right off the bat. Hang in there, keep us updated and let us know how we can help.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

Basswipe

Post by Basswipe »

To perfectly flawed:

I am new to this website, but not to RLS. I am 49, an old guy, that has had this problem ever since recieving chemotherapy 26 years ago. Evenings are the worst time for me, can't sit still to read, hard time doing desk work. I'm glad I am through college, I could never sit still long enough to study any more!
I get some relief by using Clonazapam 0.25 or .5 mg when things are really bad. But I am told by my wife that even though I am sleeping, I am still kicking every 18 seconds, but settle down in the early moring hours....Just in time to get up for work. I sleep on the floor wedged between to couch and an entertainment center. Keeping my legs against an immmovable abject helps alot
Working in healthcare for many years, I would encourage you to not be afraid of doctors. I can't think of any sort of procedure that they would involve needles etc to sort out your RLS symptoms. (please correct me if I am wrong anybody)
You do really need to be your own healthcare advocate. Follow the research, find out what other people are doing with there problems. Go to your MD armed with questions, and get him to answer them! Don't let him/her brush you off, and blame it on weight. (I'm 6'3", 180lbs and flop around like a tuna) If he/she continues to brush you off, I would look for a new MD! who would at least listen to you, thats basic bedside manner, and common curtesy! I would suggest a neurologist who might be more up to date.
Best of luck to you
Basswipe