think this could be bad

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Penguinrocks

think this could be bad

Post by Penguinrocks »

Kathleen has the symptoms guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

She's not got the pain, but she does have the jerking etc....

been feeling like a bad Mom all day....i gave this to her....

penguin
Beware the Penguin

ctravel12

this could be bad

Post by ctravel12 »

Dear Penquin
I am so sorry to hear that Kathleen has the symptons. It is not your fault and you are not a bad mom. We are all here for you. Please let us know how she is doing. I am really concerned and hope that you are doing ok.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, Penguin. Do you remember when Jan came in and said the same? It must be tough when these things happen to parents. Even though you had no control it still must feel like you let her down in some way. We never want our children to feel badly.

You are a wonderful mom - you can't control what those genes do!

One of the docs at the last conference had a theory that the genes that cause RLS actually protect or help us in some way. He felt that there must be a benefit to having low iron in the body.

So, really, you were being a good mom and passing along genes to help her. We're just not just of what :wink: .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Penguin

Remember when I came in here and said I passed RLS on to my son? You were one of the first ones to comfort me---along with Lynne, Ann, and several others.

You are a wonderful mom and you wouldn't do anything to harm Kathleen. Neither one of us, or ANY one of us, would give RLS to our children. It just happens.

The good thing is that, hopefully, our kids will benefit from all the research being done to find a cure for RLS, or--at the very least--find better treatment.

Hang in there, honey. It was a shock to me when my son told me he had it, but I'm okay now--and so is he. You and Kathleen will be fine, too. She's lucky she has a mom who is so educated about RLS.

Love ya
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

becat

Post by becat »

Oh My Mommy Penguin,
You've been coming to this part of the path. i found myself there several years ago. You'll likely grieve, that is far, God and we all know it's fair.
But I know that that girl is your star, your light within no matter what. You have not been a bad mother. You have to say that part is true.
And can't you see how lucky we all are that you know about it and know docs that, well?, docs that know about it. Amazing! How long has it taken you to get help? How much faster for your child? Rls is in one of 10 adults, minus one, cause you already knew the facts.
You just faught and won against RLS. You knew about it and it won't take you years to fins help, be aware, try natural stuff now while it's young.
Ann and everyone would say "what make you special that you had a choice in genetics?" LOL :D
I love you and I know your a good mom. never let go of the idea that we would gladly go before our ouwn children.......You did. You are. I am. I will. We've all done it, but we need to see the real victory in that.......they will not suffer like we did.
thank you for your love and friendship. I'm proud you here with us. family!
Love hugs and our moon
lynne

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

thank you ladies. i know you all know what i'm feeling and that makes things some what easier.

Yes, you're right, with me having it, knowing it, will make it something that doesn't get brushed off like when i was a kid...yanno, as growing pains...she's grown...

now...how to treat her with natural remedies without the x-mil telling me that i'm stupid, shouldn't have said anything to Kathleen and I made her have symptoms just because i talk about it.....

no one can help me there.....

i love you all so much and i'm gonna tell Kathleen about the moon and what she can find there!!!!!

Penguin
Beware the Penguin

brandy

Post by brandy »

I am so, so sorry to hear about your daughter. But in a way, I see her as such a lucky little girl. She has a mom who understands, who is compassionate, and who will not brush her off. Having had RLS as a child, I know what it's like to be told I should just be still and go to sleep. I used to hide a flashlight under my bed so I could read after I was supposed to be asleep because it helped with the loneliness and with the feeling that I was somehow bad because I couldn't go to sleep. Your daughter will never have to go through that. She will grow up feeling affirmed and learning that there is power in her own voice. She will be taken seriously by you with regard to this disorder and will learn that she has a right to care and consideration. RLS sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anybody, but having it with you as her mom is going to lead to a degree of empowerment in all areas of her life that would not be there if she had this disorder as someone else's child. And, while we know RLS can be genetic, it is not necessarily so. There is a chance she got it and you did not actually pass it on to her. I am the only person in my family with it. And if you are going to dwell on the things you are passing to your child, think about compassion and an appreciation for beauty and love of others and cherishing the moon. Celebrate what you are giving your child, for it is much more than many parents ever have to offer.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

becat

Post by becat »

Tell the ex-mil ( I have one of those too, but she's, rightly so. scared of me) :twisted: :wink:

1. that my niece didn't show up with symptoms until she reached an age that she got her period. Also about the same time that Marching band became important as well. Add sports to that and it might be considered by some over doing it.
2. It's genetic, not a mental issue that could be cause by suggestion.
3. If you try some of the home remedies, ask if she would rather risk Kathleen's growth and her future use of certain medications later on? Soem of this stuff is not great for us grown folks, but ceratinly not easy on a growing body.
4. This one is blunt, but gotta say it. Ask her to be helpful or butt out!
We'll gladly except Kathleen in our moon.
This is something your going to be fine with later on. So much can happen before it get tough and it couldlikely go like my family and skip severity in every other generation.
Hang in there doll. Your doing a great job. Doubt Kathleen would really want you to fret over it. She is lucky to have you. She is lucky you have had the education you've had. She a great kid and we'll help where we can.
Hugs Love and our moon
Lynne

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

have i told you all lately just how much i love you?
Beware the Penguin

becat

Post by becat »

Yes, and I love you too. I don't think you and I forget to say that often, but it aleays feels good to hear it.
Right back attcha babe! :D

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Miss Penquin,

Let me add my love and prayers to the others.

***************Positive Thoughts and Energy************** Your daughter is blessed to have you for her mother! I am so sorry that Kathleen has to go through this, yet I hope and pray that with all the good intentions and support of this group, the RLS foundation, the researchers and medical profession will be able to find a cure in her life time!

Just read in a medical journal a study which indicated that those whose bodies responds to stress by storing fat around the abdomen ... that this is the bodys response to lowering the cortisol which is released in response to stress ... it has a beneficial affect, yet like so many things when the stress is out of balance, the accumulation of the body's trying to keep the cortisol ranges within normal results in harming other areas .... so it may not be too far off the mark to consider that our bodies are trying to help us ward off some adverse affect in some way...

************Positive Thoughts and Energy to each of you************

Love Hazey
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Of course none of us would want this for our children. We love them and don't want them to have any suffering. You would never choose to pass this on to your beloved child. Keep reminding yourself what a loving, wonderful parent you are and never blame yourself for this. You can be proud and secure in the knowledge that because you are aware of what this condition is, you'll be able to HELP your child. So many children/adults suffer because they just don't know what's wrong, and your child will not. I don't know how old she is, so forgive me if what I'm saying is not age appropriate. But nevertheless, you'll be able to help her through this better than anyone else because you have first hand experience.

Hang in there. It's so hard to do in times like these, I know, but you'll make it.

Emily.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

thanks Emily! Kathleen is 15 but what you've said is age appropriate for anyone i think....

thank you all again so much for listening!
Beware the Penguin

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

my 14 year old has been complaining with her legs hurting her for over a year, so don't feel bad I passed it on too.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

i really hate this thing
Beware the Penguin