I think I'm cured!!!

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
richs

I think I'm cured!!!

Post by richs »

I've experienced severe RLS for the past 12 years, and have been on Carbidopa (used for Parkinsons disease) nightly, on long drives, and plane trips...
I was also taking Ambien to help me sleep, and occasionally took Hydrocodone which would completely numb me out...
About a year ago, I bought one of those 'memory foam' mattresses and for some reason that GREATLY reduced my RLS.
About 6 months ago, my wife left me! Now I very rarely experience RLS at all - not even on long plane trips.
Go figure...

jumpyowl

Great!

Post by jumpyowl »

Have you stopped taking carbidopa? If not, then you have not been cured just are controlling your symptoms well.

As for the rest, your wife leaving you should have added to your stress unless you were about to do the same thing.

I am not sure that memory foam mattress helps, you are the first one with such claim. It certainly would be nice! :)
Jumpy Owl

richs

Post by richs »

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have completely stopped taking medication to treat RLS. I'm not sure why the mattress helped (but it definitely did), and in my case, my wife leaving me reduced a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety in my life.

jumpyowl

Thank you!

Post by jumpyowl »

Richs! I am really grateful that you cleared up the points I was uncertain about. I think that your unusual story is more common than we think. You were just more lucky than most of us. :)

You may know that I am running a questionnaire. Even though it does not seem to fit you there is room for you there. As a matter of fact your story supplied badly needed information on certain aspects of this affliction. :D

If you want to take a shot at filling it out, please e-mail me (for your return address) and I e-mail you a questionnaire. It is better formatted than the one posted here under: PLEASE HELP ME in the General Topics. If you do not want to bother, at least please give me your age (gender I already know). :wink:

Also, if you could describe the type and brandname of the mattress which "definitely" helped you, I would very much appreciate it.

You wrote:
Go figure...

I did , with your help. Thanks!
Jumpy Owl

Richs

Post by Richs »

I'm not trying to promote a particular product - - I know there are similar beds out there that are just as good. The matress I bought is made by Dormia and it has a 'pillow-top' (on one side). They make a few different grades and the bed that I have is somewhere between bottom-of-the-line and top-of-the-line...
I think the reason it helps may be due to the fact that you just sort of 'sink' into the mattress. It is very un-'springy'.
If you get the opportunity I suggest you give it a try.

jumpyowl

Thank you for the info

Post by jumpyowl »

Thanks Rich. I know that you are not promoting your type of mattress.

I look into it I hope they make it twin size. What you say about the memory mattrace seems to make sense. It certainly eliminates the pressure points where your weight concentrates.

If I can afford it I will certainly get one. I am thinking of going back to work, something I have never done before - seeing patients. I will need my sleep.

The pain in my right knee is probably connected to the fact that I sleep on my right side. Such mattress could certainly help. (the pain doctor did not believe that I was sleeping all night in that position).

I mentioned to my wife that what helped you. I had to repeat the divorce part and she got a chuckle out of it, until she realized that it was not a joke. :wink:

As to my mental state? I just spelled certainly "surtonly". that shows... :shock:

I think that your contribution would be very important to that survey I am working on. Could I send you a Word document of it? Need your e-mail address. Mine is indicated below.
Jumpy Owl

jumpyowl

Thanks Richs

Post by jumpyowl »

I looked into the foam mattresses on the NET. It appears that they are good, as good as the classic better known name.

I was surprised to see that 25 years ago I filed a patent application on a certain viscoelastic gel that would have been good in water beds, better than water. Well, this foam bed is the same idea. Small world.

You do not happen to know the model name of Dormia you have?. The least expensive one is Versailles, now on sale for Labor day for 5-600 dollars. I hope it is good enough.

I was surprised to find out that it is suggested for fbromyalgia!!! I shall try it first and then will suggest it to my daughter
Jumpy Owl

jumpyowl

NEWS!

Post by jumpyowl »

The news is that I bought a Versaille model of DORMIA mattress which is on sale due to Labor weekend. For $499. No charge for either sales tax or shipping. Looking forward to testing it. And I will be sure to report on its success. :lol:
Jumpy Owl

richs

Post by richs »

Sorry it took me so long to reply. No I don't recall the exact model mattress I have. Like I said, it was somewhere in the 'middle'.
When I was married, my wife insisted that we purchased this mattress (King size) because it almost eliminated her feeling me kicking and twitching or constantly getting in and out of bed. I was pleasantly surprised that it also seemed to relieve these symptoms greatly.
I can't believe that I am the only RLS victom that has tried this. I've never read any other posts regarding others who have tried the 'memory foam'...
Anyway - it would be great if this was actually something that helps others.

Rich.

BTW, I will provide you with my email address, and you can send me a questionaire.

Sara

Memory foam mattresses

Post by Sara »

Jumpy, Rich and others--

My parents bought very expensive adjustable bed versions of the "original" memory foam mattress brand, and do love them for a number of reasons. My in-laws, however, just picked up a memory foam mattress TOPPER to go on their existing bed, and have ALSO had very good results. They bought it at a warehouse store, won't mention names, and I've also seen them in major department store catalogs.

Seems like the topper version of memory foam for the bed might be a good alternative for the whole mattress-- a way to test-drive for a much lower cost. Worth a try. I was considering one of those toppers myself, since my old mattress topper (one with gradient support, adjustable ankle rest height, lumbar bar, etc. which I've LOVED ) is tremendously worn out now.

Good post, Rich... good follow-up, Jumpyowl.
Sara

jumpyowl

It has arriven

Post by jumpyowl »

I received the mattress hermetically sealed and squashed. I already tried it this afternoon, but the real test is coming tonight!!! :lol:

Will let you all know the results!!!
Jumpy Owl

jumpyowl

DORMIA-Versailles

Post by jumpyowl »

Let me give you a blow by blow account as that hopefully will keep me objective.

I received a relatively small package which was delivered by FEDEX (no charge). It was about less than 5 ft tall and heavy as mud. I unwrapped it It looked like a 2-3 inch thick mattress cover hermetically sealed. When I cut a hole in the plastic cover there was a great sucking sound and the mattress literally blew itself up. That is to say it became much thicker. It consists of two layers, the one is a porous and very tough polyurethane sponge covered with a thinner memory viscoelastic (I suspect it is elasticoviscous) . You lean on it with your hand and the whole hand becomes visible as a depression.

I was in eye research in the middle seventies and there was a eye surgeon studing viscoelastic materials as a surgical aid as a spacer during intraocular lens implant surgery of cataract patients. (he originally wanted to use it as a replacement for synovial fluid in knees). At that time the mattress idea came to me but was already too late to file.

Let me discuss the simple cause why such a material would work and how it works. I know some of it is obvious but I want us all to be together on this.

First of all it is very important to distinguish between force and pressure. There could be a small pressure difference but if it acts over a large surface it will become a huge force (pressure times surface area). The other way also, it could be a small force but if it act over a small are (like to point of a nail) it will become a tremendous pressure (dividing the force by a small number lead to a great number).

Anyway, in the case of the mattress the force is our body weight. Now if that force is focused on a small area (like the size of a pea), the princess will sense it over several mattresses. Basically it could hurt tremendously.

Now our body is not shaped flat over a large area so as to distribute our weight evenly over that area leading to a small homogeneous pressure. However, if the mattress could conform to our body shape providing an uneven surface BUT constant (and small) pressure over that body area: we achieve our goal! While we are sleeping there will be no high pressure areas which can increase or excite the nerves unevenly possibly over a long period of time until movement releaves it. This ought to help, especially as I identified certain areas on my legs (side of the knee) that are solid and provides a high pressure area, as a high pain area, during sleep.

Well, you want to hear about last night. We all know that symptoms can vary from day to day and also with stress. I had several stressful days this week. I also had a change in medication and a switch back to Ultram.

Despite all these uncertainties the pain was certainly helped! I should say definitely helped and the sleep was much more relaxing! I am being careful what I am saying and I will need a careful observation with closely controlled medication, excercise, etc. Which I will do. But tell you the truth I expected some positive result just form the nature of the beast (pain) and the pressure on the nerves.

I read the description of the mattress and when it helps. Much to my surprise FIBROMYALGIA was among them (RLS was not). Now if you think of the pressure points as a diagnostic tool for FM it also makes sense.

I will keep reporting and you also, just like Sara, please share your experiences with us.

The stuff seems to be of good quality and the way the sponge pumped itself up, was very impressive. :shock:
Jumpy Owl

Sara

Re: mattress pad

Post by Sara »

Teeny-tiny hoooooraayyyy, Jumpy!!! :wink:

I can understand your reluctance to get tooo excited about this, or say too much. But if nothing else, wouldn't a lot of you give whatever you spent on this for ONE night of better and more restful sleep? So I think it definitely deserves a small hooray, even at this early date. (And kudos to Rich for bringing this up originally!)

More good news, too. As it's been on my mind (after wrestling the topper-style mattress my mother-in-law bought into it's cover--- Mom and I couldn't stop laughing, because that material is heavy but also... jiggly, I guess you'd say...so it's awkward maneuvering it initially... and neither she nor I are particularly large individuals! :D ) I've been keeping my eyes open for memory-foam products.

There are OOODLES of them out there, now!! and in quite a range of product types and prices. So, IF this turns out to be a real help, at least it's something that ought to be attainable for most of us. (Not like the fancy full-sized mattresses my folks bought.)

DO keep us informed, Jumpy, honey!!! And I'm crossing my fingers for the experiment for you!!!!

Sara

JRink

Post by JRink »

Any more updates on this?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have one of them, too. It didn't stop my RLS at all, but it sure is the most comfortable mattress I've ever had. In my case, it also has had a tremedous impact on my relationship. My sweetie was getting awakened with my constant PLMs; one we got the mattress, he stopped feeling them and stopped waking up. We no longer have to sleep in seperate places anymore!