BREAKING NEWS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
becat

BREAKING NEWS

Post by becat »

May 25, 2004
Study Results Confirm That Restless Legs Syndrome Impairs Patients’ Lives By Disrupting Sleep and Impacting Quality of Life.

THIS STUDY WAS RELEASED UNDER THE BREAKING NEWS IN THE I HAVE RESTLESS LEGS AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE. THERE IS ALSO A STUDY ON REQUIP JUST BEFORE THIS REPORT. HMMMMMMMMM
THEY STILL DON'T GT THE FULL IMPACT.

JUMPY I HAVE REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT THIS TERM " RLS HOPELESSNESS" MAYBE THIS IS AN ADDING SYMPTOM SEPERATE FROM DEPRESSION. IT EFFECTS THE OVERALL MOOD OF HAVING TO FIGHT FOR QUALITY OF LIFE.
IT TRUELY DOES SUIT US MUCH BETTER THAN DEPRESSION. I DO UNDERSTAND THAT DEPRESSION IS A REAL FACTOR FOR MANY PEOPLE..........BUT WITH US IT SEEMS THAT WE CAN HAVE HOPELESSNESS WITHOUT IT BEING DEPRESSION.
FOR EXAMPLE, AS LONG AS OUR SLEEP AND PAIN, GENERAL RLS SYMPTOMS ARE IN CONTROL......WE SEEM TO DO MUCH BETTER IN CONTROLING OUR EMOTIONS AND REACTIONS TO EVENTS.(NOTED,that most of us have a busy lifestyle and do not have the time to spend it here.) you can also see it in the come and go rate of our members that post. HOWEVER, MEMBERS TEND TO COME HERE TO READ AND POST MORE OFTEN WHEN THE RLS IS OUT OF CONTROL. (noted again, that some of us here post daily and are here to share and learn) WHEN THE MEDICATIONS AND LIFESTYLE CHANGES ARE NOT HELPING. ADD FIGHTING OUR DOCTOR TO TREAT OR GET EDUCATED ENOUGH TO TREAT.............I BELIEVE WE BECOME HOPELESS THAT LIFE WILL EVER BE DIFFERENT. THIS IN MY MIND IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN STANDARD DEPRESSION. WE WANT HOPE THAT SOMEONE LISTENS, CARES, AND CAN HELP.....OR THAT OUR BODIES WON'T FAIL US BEFORE WE CAN FIND THE PROPER HELP.

THIS IS JUST A THOUGHT IF YOU DECIDE TO , GET TO SPEAK IN NOVEMBER.
HUGS TO ALL
BECAT

jan3213

RLS Hopelessness

Post by jan3213 »

This is Jan

I am learning that THERE IS a difference between depression and RLS hopelessness. I have used the word "depression" a lot, but I think I should have used the word "RLS hopelessness". I have discussed this with a few of my "new friends" and we have come to the same conclusion. There is a difference. I fully agree with Becat and Jumpy. It's a viscious circle. Stress, in my case, plays a major role in the whole thing. Life occurrances, which sometimes are totally out of my control, cause stress--sometimes I can't control how my body and mind handles things, it's too overwhelming, so I get stressed. Therefore, my RLS gets worse and worse and I become hopeless (instead of depressed). It's easy to confuse the two emotions, but they ARE different. Just thought I'd add my two cents.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

jumpyowl

DIFFERENCE

Post by jumpyowl »

There is no doubt in my mind hat there is a difference. There are also different types of depression, anxiety, panic attack, GAD, etc. but that is getting too technical as I am no expert.

It would be nice to ask a psychiatrist or psychologist the following:

Is hopelessness always a part of depression?

Can hopelessness exist without depression? We do not have to believe them, but it would be nice to know what they think.
Jumpy Owl

jan3213

Difference

Post by jan3213 »

This is Jan

Jumpy

I have a good friend who is a psychologist. She just had surgery, but when she is better, we are going to lunch and I WILL ask her what the difference is and let you know what she says. I value her opinion--she is a good therapist and I believe her. I know I can trust her. I'll let you know what she says ASAP, okay?

Jan

jumpyowl

Jan, that

Post by jumpyowl »

would be wonderful.
Jumpy Owl

claradragon

Hopelessness and depression

Post by claradragon »

I have visited my doctor an many occasions and have ended up with uncontrollable sobbing trying to explain I'm not depressed but I feel absolutly hopeless!!! There is a difference...depression makes you want to commit suicide--hopelessness makes you feel like you might as well commit suicide.

Just my opinion

Claradragon
My bio is on pg1/new to rls/new members and current members please help.My diary is under new to rls/is there light at the end of the tunnel?

jan3213

Amen Clara

Post by jan3213 »

Clara, this is Jan

You just verbalized what I've felt like SEVERAL TIMES, Clara! I never really wanted to commit suicide, but I did feel like I might as well do it. THAT'S IT! HOPELESSNESS!!! I would not have gone through with it, I KNOW THAT, but you just feel...........HOPELESS!!! We finally figured it out!! Well, maybe YOU already had it figured out....but you helped ME see what it is......HOPELESSNESS!!! It has a name.. It's not depression...it's hopelessness. I'll still talk to my friend about it. She'll be a great source and will be very willing to talk to me about it. But, it has a name! I kind of feel like I did when I first learned that the creepy-crawly sensation I felt had a name--RLS. Maybe I'm being a little dramatic (nah--not me!!), but it makes sense, and it makes me feel better! Thanks!!!

Jan

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

When I met my current Neuro Dr W, back in May, he said straight to my face (and hubby was there at the time) YOU ARE FAR FROM DEPRESSED YOU ARE INSTEAD EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED and I have to say that I totally agreed with him, as did hubby. At that stage I had tried so many different cocktails I was starting to wonder if there were any more paths to be tried.

I agree that there are many forms of depression that can affect those with RLS/PLMS, however for the most part, most of us suffer from the feeling of helplessness and sheer frustration.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!