Does Anyone Else Squeeze their Legs This Hard??

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
kwarner

Does Anyone Else Squeeze their Legs This Hard??

Post by kwarner »

When my RLS flares up I find that I want to massage my calves EXTREMELY hard. It is painful..but relieves my rls.
I also flex my calf muscle until I force it to go into a 'charlie horse'.
These two things seem to help "fatigue" my muscle and therefore relieve my rls pain. Does anyone else ever do this???

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Kwarner...

Don't think I have ever flexed hard enough to cause a charlie horse, yet I do flex the muscles in my legs to help relieve the RLS, and use massage on a regular basis. The deeper the better!

Many also use stretch bands for flexing their legs during periods of inactivity, like plane/car trips, meetings.

Sounds like you do not have daily/nightly rls... that is a good thing!

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

fulltimemartins

squeezing legs

Post by fulltimemartins »

I too often get charlie horses from stretching too hard. I also "hit" my calves often thinking that it will help. Of course, like everyone else, I will do "anything" that I think will help. It sure makes me feel better to read and vent with everyone else though. For years I thought i was the "only one".

Good luck

hypnotode

Post by hypnotode »

I also like to massage my legs very hard, to the point of the occasional light bruise. Sounds nasty, but feels great! I also stretch to the point of charlie horse, then stop right before.

txnmomma

Post by txnmomma »

I too often get charlie horses from stretching too hard. I also "hit" my calves often thinking that it will help. Of course, like everyone else, I will do "anything" that I think will help. It sure makes me feel better to read and vent with everyone else though. For years I thought i was the "only one".

OMG :o I totally thought I was the only one to "hit" my legs. It relieves the pain temporarily and I had this pain growing up as a child and nothing ever would help.

Now my RLS pain is daily :cry:

NEW to ther foums... but not new to RLS.
Wendy-33 yrs old.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

welcome Newbies :wink:

i hit my leg all the time!!!!! mine is my thigh tho...not my calf, but i do flex a LOT and yup...charlie shows up every now and then...

one thing you are NOT here and that is ALONE!

Penguin
Beware the Penguin

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

i do the same thing, i hit my thighs, or rub them till my knuckles are raw and massage the he-double hockey sticks out of my feet. you are definately not alone.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

neelia

Post by neelia »

Hit, punch, rub to the point of bruising. :(

bjslovely

Me too

Post by bjslovely »

I hit, rub, kick, raise and do anything else to relieve the pain. The worst time is when I have to sit for a long period of time and can't move. This drives me crazy. Does anyone know how rls is connected with our psyche. When my legs are hurting and restless it affects me mentally as well.

I hate the pain, the lack of sleep and the restlessness. Oh my God, I am tired.
Bettie
Bettie

b_rwhite5

Post by b_rwhite5 »

RLS definitely affects me both mentally and physically. My husband says he can always tell when I have had a bad day or night because I am just mean. I haven't ever hit my leg, but I am willing to anything that works. I do massage deeply and I stretch my legs alot. It helps me when I point my heal and stretch my calf and thigh the same time, but I usually have pain all down my leg.
Rebecca

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

yep my hubby tells me i am mean when i have a bad day with my legs,

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

ctravel12

does anyone else squeeze their legs this hard?

Post by ctravel12 »

When my rls was at its worse this summer, my dh and I came very close to splitting up. Thank the good Lord all is ok now. I am now on a different med and am doing much better and hope that this med continues. I hope everyone is doing good today.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Stacia

Post by Stacia »

I stretch to the point of charlie horses all the time. It sucks. But it helps - temporarily.
~ Stacia ~

BeanieLee

Post by BeanieLee »

I have my fiance rub my calves and knees very hard and slap or kind of karate chop them. ha ha. Sounds so silly but we do what works. My calf muscles are always tense and hard so it hurts some of the time but it feels SO good overall.
The light of a good character surpasseth the light of the sun

CharleneNich

yes to bruising and charlie horses

Post by CharleneNich »

Hi. I did last night. Stretched my left calf muscle so hard that it turned into a charlie horse. Also, am afraid I will hyper extend my knee some nights. I have RLS almost every night and can't wear shorter skirts anymore because all the bruising I inflict on myself. :roll: