question on iron deficiency

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
vinton

question on iron deficiency

Post by vinton »

I have leg problems and my neuro says its RLS. I have to go back in 2 weeks so if I try taking iron will it help in that period and if so how much do i take.

thanks

vinton
Had multiple sclerosis for 35 years +

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Probably won't help in that period. First, you have to find out if you are deficient - taking it if you are not can cause many problems. So, wait until she/he runs tests - need a ferritin level.

Iron therapy is 3 tabs daily, 325 mg of ferrous sulfate (most common script). Best taken on an empty stomach with orange juice or something else with vitamin C (improves absorption). Seriously - please wait until you get test results (unless you already have them!).

If your ferritin is low (or you are amenic) taking iron can literally take months to show improvement in the RLS. If anemic, it may be more quickly. Improving ferritin levels takes 3 to 6 months, minimum.

Welcome to the board!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

lynnie

iron sulfate therapy

Post by lynnie »

Hello,
I have had rls for years and have had good results with klonopin. However due to the addiction posibilities of the drug, he would like to see me get off of it.
He did a ferritin level on me, and I was 18 where as I should be 50, since I suffer from rls. He would like to start me on 325 mg. of iron sulfate twice daily and see me in 4-5 months.
I have been reading about the side effects of such high iron doses though, and I must say I am apprehensive about taking it. Has anyone been on the iron sulfate dosage for a extended period of time? Could anyone tell me if the side effects were okay, or are they as unbearable as some people have said?
Any information from those who have tried high doses of the iron sulfate would be greatly appreciated. Such as not only the side effects, but did it help the rls? And was it worth the side effects? :?
I just can't decide if this is the way I want to go, so ANY info would help!
Thanks!!! :D

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It helps about 60% - 40% at least some and 20% have significant relief. Of course, there is the other 40% for whom it doesn't help. Given the odds, though, it seems worth it to me.

Yes, many of us have done it and it's not that bad. The worst for most is adjusting to strange bowel habits, and possibly some nausea. Actually the current recommendation is three tabs a day :shock: . Take them an hour before eating or two hours after and with some vitamin C - orange juice or a C tablet (1oo mg). Make sure you get LOTS of fiber - it is like concrete in your gut. It will take getting used to and it's not fun. But, of all the side effects, these are really the least problematic (to me).

It really might pay off.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--