Altitude/elevation affecting RLS symptoms

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Sara

Altitude/elevation affecting RLS symptoms

Post by Sara »

Hello, all. Since I'm very new around here, please point me in the right direction and forgive me if this is something already discussed somewhere. I don't recall seeing it in my initial perusal of the site/forum.

When I was reading through the (great and informative!) bios over in the Newbie section, I noticed someone (I apologize for not recalling who, I thought maybe Jan, but I really don't remember) mentioning that their RLS was adversely affected by altitude. This interested me because I live in the mountains at 5500 foot elevation. I wasn't sure if whoever it was meant altitude like mountains or like airplanes or what, but I know that elevation DOES affect some conditions (it sure affects my cooking!!!!) I've lived here for four years, and during that four years, my RLS symptoms HAVE worsened...but I've also gotten older, gained weight, changed diet and activity levels, and a number of other factors that could also account for the worsening. I also feel more RLS, for example, when we're driving up the mountain when we've been out at family's who live in the flats... but the higher we drive the later it gets and the longer I've been sitting, too. So I don't feel there's necessarily a correlation, but I wondered if that's something anyone has discussed or discovered anything about.

Ironically, my maternal grandmother was said to be "allergic" to high elevations, but I've not heard what manifestations there were when she went somewhere high.

Any thoughts on this subject are welcomed. Thanks to all who have welcomed me so kindly to this forum. Sara

jan3213

Altitudes and RLS

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Sara, this is Jan

No, I'm afraid it wasn't me. But, maybe we can find out who it is. I'll look back in the bios and see if I can help you, okay? If I can, I'll PM you and let you know. Or, if you prefer, I can email you, either way. You can get me either way, too.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

becat

Holding hand up

Post by becat »

Dang, it was me. I must be more common than I thought. :D
If I fly, I medicate for any flight over 2 hours. Also, a trip to Reno this year from my flat lands, home In Texas could have been wayyyy more fun if I could have walked while I was there. I took a major pain and had two hours relief.
I was raised in the mountain of New Mexico, and I just thought of it.......My Growing pains stopped when we moved to Texas. I'll be darn. WOW, Just thought of that. :shock:
wow.......the altitude thing was something I realized many years back. We travel so often to New York and it just got to the point of no control. That is until I knew that I could medicate and sleep my way throught it.
As excited as I as about the metting in Nov. .......I sure don't look forward to flying.
Sara, I do believe someone else has mentioned it and maybe they will chime in here too.

Sara

Hooray, Becat! LOL

Post by Sara »

It WAS you, Becat. How ironic!

I went back and perused all the bios I'd looked at earlier, and sure enough, yours was the "altitude" comment I noticed. I remembered that you medicated for plane flights, but how interesting that you've perhaps noticed an elevation connection, too. SEEMS to be a possible issue, since the air pressure, etc., does affect many things at elevation.

Wish I'd been thinking of this a couple of months ago. We just got back from a long camping trip that took us everywhere from about sea level to over 10,000, and everything in between. I think I did have RLS on the trip, though it wasn't a big memory... oh, wait... it just dawned on me, one of the nights it was bad was when we drove late up into the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming. I was very tired and it was late and we hit horrible construction (unpaved road!) unexpectedly. I DID have bad RLS that night!!!!

Well, anyway, I guess that's something for us to think about and keep track of. Nothing I can do about living at elevation; I don't want to live in the flats anymore. In fact, my husband and my "dream property" is even higher than where we live now! LOL But it would be interesting to know if that's part of the increase in symptoms. And seems like, if that's an exacerbating factor, it might be useful to the doctors to think about what that means in the way of cause and effect, too, right?

Interesting! Thanks for weighing in. I'm going to have to think about this some more!

Hugs--- Sara

jumpyowl

How interesting!

Post by jumpyowl »

There is a lot to learn from you ladies! Sara are you the one who just sent me a questionnaire? If so, I will make a note on it and on Becat's. (However, if you have not sent a QU in, please do so.) :oops:

Just to analyze the problem, there are two main effects of altitude, both interrelated.

1. the barometric pressure is lower and therefore volatile substances will boil at a lower temperature (e.g. water). So things take longer to cook, coffee does not taste as good, etc.

This lower pressure affects joints and other parts of the body because they also change the solubility of gases in fluids. (less pressure, less gas can be held in the fluid and small bubbles form [in extreme case they give you the bends (skindiving)]. But this only happens when you change altitude in a realtively short time (e.g. driving up the mountain. They eventually they reach equilibrium and you have acclimatized to the new conditions.

On the airplaine it does not matter much because the cabin is pressurized, BUT not quite to the normal pressure at sea level.

2. The other effect is the gravitational force field on our bodies. Those usually cause slow changes such as decreased bone density and a host of other things. The chage is so small that you have to live in a zero gravity field to notice the chages.

As you two both realized there were other factors present in your observations that could be directly responsible for the worsening of your symptoms.

This is something to consider, however. Great job, ladies, well done! 8)
Jumpy Owl

Sara

Elevation and questionnaires

Post by Sara »

Hello, Jumpyowl--

It was indeed me who sent you a questionnaire yesterday (sorry about the technical issues), and thanks for thinking to add the elevation considerations to that. I was going to e-mail you to ask if you would!

Thanks also for elaborating on the scientific specifics of elevation/altitude. Always nice to have a doctor "around the house", so to speak. I don't drink coffee, but getting a good batch of white rice or a properly risen baked good is sure tough at this elevation!

I think that your analysis is probably valid, that there would be more effect from the pressure changes when I'm coming home from 1000 feet to 5500, or in a case like Becat's going from the flats of Texas to Reno. So maybe the progression of my symptoms is more likely age, but the intensity on late-night rides home, for example, might be elevation change.

Hmmmm.... so interesting. Love hashing things out like this. ; ) Nice to wrap multiple brains around an issue and see what ideas and experiences come forth.

Oh, yes, and Dr. Holly, I wanted to let you know, my parents are calling me this morning, so I'm going to waylay them on the RLS issue, and try to find out once and for all what my dad's weird night leg/foot discomforts are, and wheter my mom had any before she had chemo and diabetes. If I find out anything important, I'll let you know.

Also, I forwarded your questionnaire to another friend with RLS, who I think will respond. I am going to try to convince a couple other sufferers I know to send one in, as well. I have had several research scientists in the family, and I understand the importance of getting enough responses to make it valid. I didn't realize until I read one of your latest posts that you're still short of a reasonable sample. I HOPE that you can motivate enough people to participate. And I'll send prayers and good wishes to you in Long Beach in November.

Sara

jumpyowl

Parents calling

Post by jumpyowl »

Sara, you wrote:

I wanted to let you know, my parents are calling me this morning, so I'm going to waylay them on the RLS issue, and try to find out once and for all what my dad's weird night leg/foot discomforts are, and wheter my mom had any before she had chemo and diabetes. If I find out anything important, I'll let you know.

It would be wonderful if you could glean enough information to complete a questionnaire for them. I realize that many questions will not apply, but still some important info will be there. Such as possible similarities in the type of paresthesia, things that helped, etc.

I can see you also have a curious mind. Ever since a child, I was curious about everything around me. When in grade 7th (physics) and grade 8th (first year chemistry) I was in 7th heaven (hard on the teachers, though.)

Let me know what you find out. Just give me the info and I fill out the questionnaire.

:)
Jumpy Owl

Sara

Parental RLS

Post by Sara »

Jumpyowl--

This morning's conversation was interesting. Looks like there's probably RLS on one side, but not the side I thought!!!! It's a long story I'll post later when I have more time, and I've already forwarded your questionnaire to their e-mail! : )

I'm also throwing out feelers to other people I know have RLS and places where I know there are RLS sufferers in the group. Crossing my fingers they'll take the time to chime in. Has anyone else noticed that when you talk about it sometimes you meet people who have all the symptoms but never heard of the disease?! That was what happened to me when I first heard about RLS, too.

Oh, and yes, I'm pretty curious. My kids always laugh because I always say "you learn something new everyday". : ) I mentioned, I have a couple of research biologists in the family, and a couple avid amateur researchers, too. Guess "ants" in my legs isn't the only genetic thing I got from them. :wink:

More tomorrow, when I have more time.

Best-- Sara

Sara

The "skinny" on my parental RLS influences

Post by Sara »

Hello, again, Jumpyowl, et al--

So here's the "skinny" on my conversation with my parents. Evidently, my mom DID remember my mentioning RLS before, but Dad didn't.

I waylaid him first, and asked what IS it that your feet feel like when they bother you??? He said that he doesn't recall feeling anything like of the "normal" RLS sensations. His feet are often cold, and that's bothered him a lot since he was about my age (late 30s-40). I know that now he'll be aware if he DOES have that sort of thing, but so far, I think he's a "no". He says he knows that his dad had some foot discomforts, but he doesn't remember anything that would have indicated RLS (and he MIGHT be right, now that I think about it, Gramps sat too long at a time in the evenings to probably have feet that feel like MINE do! :wink: )

I have also asked my auntie about RLS, though, and she says that "maybe" she and Gramps both "might" have something like RLS. (I'll ask her if she'll fill out a questionnaire and maybe I'll be able to glean more details, too, personally, Jumpy). She also said that she and Gramps had a "hot feet" sensation sometimes, where their feet felt "way too hot". Not sure if that's apropos to anything here or not.

Then when my Dad got off the phone, I asked my mom. She said it was ironic, she'd recently heard something about RLS on tv, and thought of me. We talked about it, and she said, "No, I don't have anything like you describe...", but she WAS interested in our discussion about elevation. She said that I should remember that she and her mom had TREMENDOUS problems with altitude sickness throughout their lives. We all did a lot of hiking, and there were several times I've heard stories about Mom driving to the Sierras and barely being able to function for the first 12-18 hours (bad news for weekend outings!)

Also, her mother (my grandmother) hiked up to Machu Pichu when she was about 70, and she LOVED it, but had some serious altitude problems (the details of which, I'm not sure ANY of us knows anymore. (Of course, who WOULDN"T have some altitude issues in the Andes!! :P ) On the other hand, this is the grandmother, Jumpy, that I mentioned had a habit of walking around the room periodically and never sitting still too long. Mom concurred with my recollection of this, and agreed that that MIGHT have been an RLS thing. Gramma never would have complained about the sensations; she would have just got up and walked them off, if possible, without "bothering anyone" with the details.

Well, as we were talking, Mom happened to mention that the reason the cell phone reception was bad was that she had to shift her position to get comfortable again. Then she was rambling along about how she's always been like that... never could sit still.... always felt a little uncomfortable in places and situations where she had to... And then she asked me, "Did you say that your RLS makes you want to flex and ball your toes a lot?" And I said, "Yes, actually I'm doing that right now while I'm standing here painting and talking to you!" Evidently, when she was shifting her position, she was doing the same thing with her feet, and never really thought about it!!!!!!

Soooooooooooo.... we talked another half hour or so after she had this realization, and she's planning to fill out a questionnaire! She thinks that maybe she's described the sensations differently to herself all these years, but she DEFINITELY has a jittery, uncomfortably feeling when she sits for long periods, during the evening, and in bed. She said that she knows that she moves and flexes quite a bit in her sleep, too. Now she'll be more aware, and I think that she'll be able to determine if what she feels is consistent with RLS or not.

My gut feeling is that she might have a milder case than I do, but that it might really be RLS. She's very funny about semantics, so "restless" didn't sound familiar to her like it did to me, and she didn't "recognize" creepy or crawly, either. But she DOES ALWAYS seem to need to move, change position, fold her feet under her, scrunch her knees up to her chest, lean this way and then that, get antsy and uncomfortable on long car trips. I've always thought of it as "restless" in her. :wink: But I think maybe my description to you, Jumpy, about "white noise within my legs" made more "sense" to her in relation to what she feels that CAUSES her to want to change positions all the time.

Sorry so long, but this was a VERY interesting conversation to ME, and I thought might be to you all, as well. Am going to send a few more e-mails to other family members and ask, now that it looks like my maternal side is as likely or moreso than my paternal to be the genetic link, if any. Will forward questionnaires to anyone who responds in the affirmative.

Take good care, everybody-- Sara

jumpyowl

Good job!

Post by jumpyowl »

Sara, you would make a good detective (and while painting , too). :)

It is interesting going down memory lane and discovering things, is it not?. :oops:

Reminds me of last year when I went back to the old country and visited my uncle (mother side). He is 94, his mind is clear as a bell, although he was a POW in Siberia for four long years. No RLS, though. :wink:

How is the construction work going on?
Jumpy Owl

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hee, hee, Jumpowl, your uncle sounds like my kind of guy. I love older people, and it's a sad thing that I've lost almost all my "grands" and "greats" in the family. I always got on famously with them. Of course, we "adopted" an 86 year old widow lately, so I'm not completely out of elderly input.

Construction is inching along, thank you. But today is "preserve the apple harvest" day. No painting.

Oh, and as for painting while tracking medical history on the phone... I'm a notorious multi-tasker. :D

Have a great one. Have to get back to my apples!

Sara

PeteB

Altitude problems

Post by PeteB »

I was born in the mountains (Switzerland) and go there every year.

The last few years (2004 I didn't go) have been interesting.

I'm not coping as well as I used to. The altitude is 5,200 to 10,000 feet.

From what I understand, these are the major influencing factors.

Oxygen. As you go further up, particularly 8,000 upwards the oxygen in the air diminshes fast. This leads to dizzy spells. A couple of years ago I noticed it more than ever. (But that could be the result of many years of smoking!!!).

Also, there is atmospheric pressure. When you ascend, the pressure reduces and this causes your red blood cells to enlarge slightly, and your boiled eggs in the morning take 6 minutes instead of 4!!. This 'space' is taken up with water. This explains why when you go in the mountains you want to drink more. That, coupled with (often) drier air.

Also, in the mountains I find that I have weird dreams - or even nightmares. Why this is I'm not quite sure. But I notice more so these days than when I was a kid.

RLS for me is worse in the mountains, and this year I am going with trepidation. I even thought about booking a hotel room on a lower floor in the hotel and forego the beautiful views from a high balcony. However, I decided in the end that 60 feet wouldn't make a lot of difference and if the worst came to it, I'd just have to stand on the balcony staring at the stary sky and breath in that cool, crisp mountain air.......

:D

Pete

Heronak

Post by Heronak »

Pete,

Sorry to go totally off topic, but what part Switzerland? My family is from Neuchatel and St. Prex (close to Geneva), and most still live there. I've been back many times over the years, but not close to yearly!

Interesting thoughts on altitude - living at sea level I've never had this issue.

Best,

Heron

PeteB

Swiss things......

Post by PeteB »

Salut Heron!!!!!

As they'd say in the French part of Switzerland.

I was born in Davos, Graubunden/Grisons on the west (German speaking) side of Switzerland. My mother is from Basle/Bale. I spent 10 years between Bale and Davos.

I met and married a girl from Sion - just 'down the road' from Neuchatel. Actually, she was from Les Hauderes - a small village high up the valley from Sion on the way to Arolla. Sadly, that marriage didn't last because by then I was living and working in England and she couldn't tear herself away from home. (Understandable in a way).

I go every year to Davos for a couple of weeks, and the occasional visit to Bale.

(Sorry for being off topic!!!!)

Pete

Sara

Post by Sara »

Pete--

I had to laugh (with you, not at you) about your comment on choosing the floor of your hotel room. :lol: Great minds think a like.

I'm very sorry, though, that your RLS is marring your enjoyment of your beloved mountains. I'm a mountain-loving girl, myself-- grew up loving the northern Appalachians on the US east coast, and now spend as much time as possible in the Sierra Nevadas and Rockies and Cascades here in the west. (Went to the Black Hills for the first time this summer, and also like those a LOT!)

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the night I described when we drove late on our vacation to a higher elevation campground was definitely an RLS/elevation thing. I was looking at the map yesterday when I saw your post, and we must have gained about 4000 feet in about 30 miles. But that gain was after about 130 miles sitting in the motorhome, after a late dinner, and we rolled into the campground finally about 10 pm, I think... that's a couple of hours after RLS usually sends me to bed.

We'd also had a long and busy day, hiking, sightseeing, travelling, etc., so I was extra-tired (another RLS exacerbator for me). When I finally was able to lay down to sleep, I was nearly in tears because I was so tired but couldn't get comfortable to sleep. Coincidentally, this was a month or two before I started getting RLS daily and in the mornings as much as the evenings.

Nice to chat with you. BTW, I enjoyed the asides about Switzerland. Like most women my age, I guess, I always wanted to go there and hike in the meadows and eat bread and cheese like Heidi. I've climbed some lovely and impressive mountains in my life, but there seems to be something magic about the Alps. :D

Take good care.
Sara