Baby might have rls, help

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Anonymous

Baby might have rls, help

Post by Anonymous »

I am the mom of an almost 1 year old boy. He has progressively developed sleep disturbances since about 4 months of age. Gradually prgressing from rubbing our arms with his feet when being rocked to sleep to now, only sleeping about 20 minutes at a time before jerking awake. In the last two weeks, falling asleep has become a struggle, with lots of kicking and jerking. I have a healthy 7 year old daughter, who is a healthy sleeper. We have tried to let him cry it out, which did not work. We have ruled almost everything out. He will go to his first doctor appt. here in Indiana, since we just moved from San Diego. Are there any others out there who have or have heard of RLS in babies?? I could not find anyone or any info to support the behavior I was seeing in my son, until I found the RLS info, which fit exactly. Any info, suggestions would be helpful. He has not slept more than two consecutive hours, at night, since he was 3 months old. He is struggling to try to stay asleep and it is heartbreaking. Thanks

becat

Hi worried

Post by becat »

God Bless you and your darling son. Worried, I am not a doctor but I beleive I've at it since birth as well. Yours is such uncharted territory. Although most babies twitch and jerk, a matter of strengthening those small muscles. You may have your ideas correct. I think your going to confront two problems here.
1. I haven't heard of RLS being diagnosis in child under an age that can talk. As to describe the symptoms the are having. Do you or your husband suffer with RLS ?
2. Medication are the way most of us treat our symptoms and while your son is in the mist of a high developmental age, it would be a difficult choice to medicate him. i would bet the doctors themselves would have problems finding the right way to proceed.
by no means, don't stop talking to the them and trying to get this resolved. My gosh, what your heart carries right now.
Please read out NON-Pharm thread, ther are so many post that offer home remedies. hot baths, massage, so many choices you could apdapt to a little guy.
check back here often, I'm sure you'll have many replies to your post.
My prayers and thoughts are with you and yours.

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Maybe a sleep study would help the little guy,Sounds like you have all been through a lot in his short life time.I would read as much here as you can find and my heart goes out to you Lyndarae

Leonne

Baby with RLS

Post by Leonne »

It is hard to say if your child has this problem. I'm convinced I had it from birth. Maybe some of my experiences will help you deal with the problem.

I have never learned how to sleep like others do. I'm 68 years old. My father, I'm told, held me for the first 6 months of my life. The jerks and the kicks almost wore him out. Blankets (clothes) were impossible to keep on me. My family told me that anytime anybody got up, I was up greeting them no matter what time of day. To this day even with meds, I am very good at catching 15 minute naps and feel very refreshed. One time I quite moving at about one year old. I'm told I turned blue. When they touched me, I started breathing. Two years ago, I discovered I had a bad value in my heart. At sleep, the oxgen level was at 81. Do you suppose all this movement was natures way to keep the oxgen level at my normal 91? After correcting this problem, I now have a constant 96. I still have RLS. That took care of my sleep problem.

I stayed in a crib until I was eight because I couldn't stay in bed. I still sleep without covers (they won't stay on.) Nobody would ever sleep in the same bed with me. I wouldn't go to school until the teacher told me I could stand and walk anytime I wanted too. Church has always been a problem, (I'm a minister so I'm allowed to walk around).

Dealing my own children, I learned that holding them tightly against my chest (as if to stop the jerks) would settle them down and they would sleep. It seemed like that's what they wanted. I can warn you, however, nobody else I know could pull that off.

Nature will find a way if possible. I would hate to think of using meds on a baby. Allow him his 15 minutes when ever he wants to.

There are other things you will have to deal with as your child grows up. Just remember those legs have to move. If only others would have known that, it would have been much easier.

May God bless you.

Leonne

Brian

low ferritin levels

Post by Brian »

We believe our son (3) has RLS. A year ago our physician did a blood test to test ferritin levels. They were well below where they should be and have had some success with treating him with ferrous sulfate. Obviously this can be dangerous in children, so frequent blood tests have to be done.

So far we treated and the symptoms pretty much disappeared. Now they have returned and are treating again.

IanFraughton

I pray the little guy doesn't have it

Post by IanFraughton »

I bet a lot of us suffered from this disease as babies. I have never asked my mom what I was like as a baby but I sure will now. I remember from the earliest age my mom rubbing my legs at night till I fell asleep. I didn't find out I have RLS until two months ago and I'm 35 now. If your son does have RLS then atleast he will have the doctors full attention now, and not years from now. I agree, treating someone at this age will present a big problem, as most of us are on "major" medications not suitable for children. I really hope he doesn't have it but if he does we will be here for the rest of his life to help him through it.

Best wishes,

Ian
I call my pacing the "Waltz of the Damned". Anyone care to dance...?

kittykat

RLS and Babies

Post by kittykat »

Hi
I had RLS ever since I can remember and I only knew it was RLS a month ago because it is in my feet and I'm 59 now. I allways called it my nervous spells. I used to tell my mom to push on my feet. Even now sometimes I have to lay down and push my feet against something to get any ease. I sure hope you can get some help for your baby. I know how miserable it can be.

Hang in and don't give up.
kittykat

Post by Guest »

just another idea?when i was young my mum used to put something heavy on my affected leg (pillow stuffed with blankets) which helped to put me to sleep?
trevb

trevb

Post by trevb »

sorry that last post was me but not logged in....

just a thought for members who have been on this forum for a while, and know whats been discussed around the site......

as a child i suffered rls alot and my parents didnt understand it but tried their best to deal with it

I am wondering from this post whether we need a thread (like you have done for newbies) for parents of children with ideas that people have used successfully for their children?
maybe we havent had many posts with this info so may not be relevant.? but just an idea?
trev