Your Career and RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Hos
Voice Chat Host

Your Career and RLS

Post by Hos »

I was wondering what people did for a living and how RLS has affected their work. For instance, I can't imagine having severe RLS and being a telemarketer where your boss would get mad at you for getting up to walk around every 30 minutes.

I've mostly had social work jobs where I'm driving around town and able to do my own thing as I work. Or, right now, I'm working in a large hospital and I'm walking a ton every day.

Although I do need to do reports often and I've told my boss and coworkers about my RLS so they don't think I'm just goofing off when I walk to get a drink of water every 15 minutes.

I think it's important to educate your working peers about RLS, not only for your benefit as others might otherwise judge you, but also for their knowledge. Who knows, your coworker might unknowningly be living in RLS angst and need to hear that there is some hope out there!

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

i'm an executive assistant, i am lucky i can get up an walk around as much as i want. when my legs hurt i am grouchy, everyone likes it when i 'm not grouchy!! lol

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

walkindafloors

Post by walkindafloors »

I've been very blessed in that my boss and co-workers are learning to understand when I need to stand up in staffing (like you, HOS, I'm a SW also) or at my desk typing, when I bring my crocheting into meetings to keep my hands busy so my legs will be still, etc. Hardest part is interviewing families - they don't always take kindly to my standing instead of sitting on their furnature (not believing me that I need to stand because of my legs!). SW jobs vary so, what kind of SW do you do?
I'm in training this week, riding over an 90 minutes to get there, sitting from 9-4, then the 90 minute ride home in rush hour traffic...Calgon, take me away :P !!!
Who took the FUN out of disFUNctional?
Kim <><

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

walkindafloors wrote: SW jobs vary so, what kind of SW do you do?

Well, over the last 9 years its varied. Mainly advocating for the elderly by investigating complaints in nursing homes or another job working with an agency that managed court-ordered guardianships. Right now I'm a Patient Advocate for a large hospital. It's so nice to not have to be behind a desk and I feel for anyone who has to endure that.

Speaking of enduring, I have one fancy "chair aerobics" move I do when reports must be done and my RLS is wacky. I put the keyboard in my lap and put my feet on the desk (see foot modeling below). 8) That way my legs are stretched out although they also go to sleep, lol.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

RLS can destroy careers and employment. Many factors, not sure the daytime restlessness. Many of us sleep better later - the ciradian rhythm thing works best for many of us to sleep between 2 or 3 AM and 9-11 AM. Not conducive to many work schedules! We're sleepy during the day, we're late for work, we have trouble in jobs where we need to sit quietly or for long periods, etc. During periods where the RLS is bad and we get very little sleep, we get extremely tired, depressed, and find it difficult to concentrate or work effectively or efficiently. If we have pain, this can make it even harder. Some of us find we just do not have the energy or the physical resources to work at all.

Many of us manage or find work that suits are needs to move around. Some of us are not that lucky. I am self-employed = it seems to resolve the problems. A couple years ago I lost an important contract because I was soooooo tired at the first meeting, they thought I was not up to the job. So, even that isn't a cure of the working woes.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

I feel so blessed to have a talent that allows me to work at my own hours and be able to move around alot or go home and get on my heating pad when I need to. I don't know why but for me the harder I work (ripping out sheetrock, tearing up flooring and carpets) the less my legs hurt, maybe I am just working so hard it takes my mind off my legs. I do know that there is no way I could sit or stand at any job for long periods of time. It's good that we are starting to be able to tell our boss's about this so we can move about a little more~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

bugdog

Post by bugdog »

I work as a help desk agent for a big retail chain doing store support, so I'm on the phone and computer all day. I've explained to my fellow cube dwellers why I'm always jumping around in my cube, sitting on my desk, swinging my legs or otherwise behaving in a less than normal way.

Twice in October, I was either caught or seen totally asleep at my desk while on a phone call. We're dealing with HD employees, not outside customers, so the poor guy on the other end of the line was at least getting paid while I was sacked out. The first time, my manager came over and had to wake me up. I was completely disoriented and had no clue what was going on. :oops: I sort of lied and blamed new blood pressure medication. I was taking new bp meds, but that wasn't why I was asleep. My manager reserved a small conference room for me, let me go to lunch early and take an extra half hour so that I could either finish out the day or drive home safely. She was very understanding. The second time it happened, she wasn't here and it was the manager of the entire department that saw me. He didn't say anything, but my team lead was.... distressed, to say the least. He was also very understanding - this time I said it was a migraine and I hadn't actually been asleep. (Consider that as time shifting events for work because that's happened, too.)

At that time I was working 10 hour days so I could have 3 days off a week, but having to be at work at 8 am was clearly going to get me fired, so I went back to an 8 hour schedule.

On this schedule, I might lose a couple of hours of sleep and not four or five. I'd tried everything I could think of to adjust to going to bed at 10, but nothing worked. I'd either not be able to sleep due to RLS, not be tired at all or sleep for an hour, then wake up with the twitchies (as we call it). It just doesn't seem to be as bad for me in the AM hours (usually).

I'm mostly managing for now.. I'm still having some problems staying awake at work, especially since it's the off season and we aren't getting as many calls. We are no longer allowed to read non-work related material at our desks (even at lunch and off the clock) and we aren't supposed to visit non-work web sites (although everyone does), so it's exceptionally hard to keep focused on something besides being tired or worse, having to move my arms and legs.

I actually started wondering if I'm such a night owl because of RLS - I've had it for as long as I can remember and I've never EVER been a morning person. Did I unconsciously shift my personal sleep times to avoid the worst hours of RLS for me? Any thoughts on that guys?

becat

Post by becat »

Hey,
Loved this idea for a thread, sorry to only now be apart of it Hos, but my project is done so I can play a bit before the National Meeting. hee heeh hee
I loved your post Bug, awesome, only sorry you had to live it, gosh you should write a Quality of Life statement for me, seriously, that is real life.

Hos, I am at stay at home mom, with 2 (19 in Dec) boys that no longer need a stay at home mommy. :( :D I also chose many years ago to stop working outside the house because of the RLS and went full time inot my art busniess, so I could work while everyone slept and sleep when I could. And my "career" before I stopped working was silly, but I loved it and did very well at it. I was a hostess for a local sports bar and resturant, owned by a local sports star. I would only work 10-2 because my kids would be in school, but honestly that was all I could manage, after the RLS got too out of hand. Amazingly, I continued to work with my broken leg and ankle, but the RLS took me out.
I, too, just had (ha still have) such a problem with sleep deprivation it became too much. Kids were on sports teams, volunteering at school, and taking care of the house and dinner, would just be too much on many days. I count myself lucky to have the choice not to have to work by that time in my life and I could make that choice. But it happens to us all , that even the things we like and love to do get set aside, much less what has to be done.
BugDog, I will tell you that in a family where my mom and dad have RLS to some degree, we all are night people and those that aren't have occasional RLS, more like travelers RLS. Those of us with the more severe end of RLS are all night time people and sleep deprived, because the rest of the world wants to do business during the day. LOL
I have asked myself the same question many times, is it me or did I just turn out this way, could it have been different?
My biggest turn about on the subject was after a thread here (sorry can't tell you which one, it's lost in my head), but I have always been affraid of the dark, yes even as an adult. At some point last year it hit me, I wasn't scared of the dark, just what happens when it's dark. RLS is painful for me, so I knew somewhere in my head that bed time meant pain.
If I could learn to sleep again, bless me I would just cry from relief. hasn't happened yet, and I control the pain, so bed is no longer the real war zone it was, but I hate fighting it.
Great thread Hos. Good thoughts by all. I love when this happens here. We truly learn best from one another.
Hugs, love, and always the moon,
Lynne

b_rwhite5

Post by b_rwhite5 »

Hi Hos. My husband is a self-employed Residential Builder so I am fortunate to be able to stay at home. I have two girls 7 and 5, and a devilish little 3 yr old boy! LOL. They are my life. If I don't sleep well the night before, I can take a little nap while they are in school. ( my baby is in Head Start). Motherhood is a full time job in itself. I am so grateful to be able to participate in school activities, sports, and stuff. This summer I will be continuing my degree. I decided to take off a couple of seasons so I could help my son. I don't know how guys do it. I have sp much respect for you all.

Bug, I have also always been a night owl. I know that I won't be able to fall asleep until my RLS calms down so I find stuff to keep me busy. I have always hated mornings. I hate getting up at 6am! LOL. I have had RLS all my life, so I am sure that probally has something to do with it.

I hope everyone is well.

Love yall!
Rebecca

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If anyone feels inclined, there are a lot of older posts about circadian rhythms and RLS and sleeping later. It's based on the chemicals our brains produce - many of finally fall asleep (as the RLS has stopped) after 2, 3 or 4 AM. Once doctor even recommends working second shift if you can.

So, it's not an imaginary thing.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

walkindafloors

Post by walkindafloors »

I've been trying to figure out if my falling asleep during the day is from meds or just exhaustion. I've scared myself a few times doing this while driving - I'm only "out" for seconds I think. I can usually handle a couple of nights up and about but after 3 or more...I notice it happening again. My boss has told me to sign my phone out till 10:00 am or so then just come in when I get up - then if I'm there at 8:30, great. Hard to beat that arrangement!

I appreciate your comment, Lynne, on being scared of the night. I use to be "scared" but now kinda look forward to my "time alone" since my DH is a stay at home person and I work outside the home - never any time there alone except when the rls kicks in. I keep small lamps on all over the house, not because I'm scared of the dark, but because I know I'll be getting up and walking at some point in the night so this saves me having to keep turning on lights!
Who took the FUN out of disFUNctional?
Kim <><

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

This is a great thread. I can't believe I just found it, although this hasn't been a good week for me (from the surgery, not RLS).

I was an office manager and paralegal for a law firm for 28 years. I had to keep all kinds of court deadlines straight for the lawyers (8 in our office, and one Deputy Director). I had a staff of two women.

During that time, I would be so sleep deprived, if I didn't keep getting up and down, I would be falling asleep at my desk---either from the lack of sleep or from the medication I had to take to keep my RLS under "control." My boss was very understanding, and--I don't know how I manged it--I was very good at my job. But, if I had to call in sick because I had a very bad night before and literally walked the floors all night long, my staff was vicious to me---one woman in particular.

I remember one night when my medication was being changed because it no longer helped. My doctor was in St. Louis and we were handling the changes over the phone (after I had an appointment with him). That night was horrible--you all know what I'm talking about. I called one of my assistants the next morning to tell her I would not be in and that she would be in charge. She blew her top and hung up on me---her supervisor! My husband called her after she got to work and explained what happened and she said "I really don't care!." He couldn't beleive how cold and callous she was. I rarely took sick time.

BTW, she was later fired for varoius other reasons and so was the woman who worked with her. I hired the next two women---absolutely no problem, wonderful to work with. And, I seemed to always get the highest possible ratings on my yearly evaluations from my boss. He was a tough cookie, so it wasn't because he felt sorry for me. I knew I had to work and did the best I could do. But, because I was his assistant, I was able to (and my job required me to) walk around a lot, etc.--besides being at my desk, of course.

I have fallen asleep while driving on the interstate for a split second, fallen asleep at stoplights or stop signs. I don't do that anymore, but for a time, I didn't drive anywhere except in town.

And, movies---OMG, I never watched a movie all the way through in a movie theater. I would fall asleep and the people with us would wonder what the heck was wrong with me. I've even fallen asleep when a waitress was taking our order. Talk about embarassing!

I'm much better now. Since my back surgery, my RLS hasn't even been a factor. I'm still on mediation, but I have slept through the night this past month and I haven't done that since I was in my 20's. I know I'm not cured---never will be. I have primary RLS. But, I've been told there's a dopamine receptor in our backs (we well as our brains) in the spinal chord or something (you can tell I'm no expert) and my neuro surgeon opened up four places in my spinal chord---one of the places was where that dopamine receptor is. I'm hoping that, instead of making my RLS worse, the back surgery improved it.

I wanted to comment on the dark, also. I used to be scared of the dark. but, after spending so many nights up, I got so I didn't even turn lights on. I just got on my computer---that was my only light. I hated night, though. I hated for bedtime to come---I knew what I was in for.

Sorry this is so long. It's just such a good thread and I kind of got caught up in it. RLS is horrible and I honestly wish some of the doctors/people/friends who don't think it's "all that bad" could just have a little taste of it to see what we go through. I'm not wishing they had RLS---but just a little taste. I wonder what kind of treatment we would get then?

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

i can't ever remember being afraid of the dark, when i was little i would be outside till 9 or 10 and we lived in the boonies, no street lights! in fact when i sleep i want it pitch black, no light at all.

omg jan you have so much patience and control, that womans ears would still be ringing from the chewing i would have given her. i will be the first to admit that i am a Queen B. but i won't work in an office full of women anymore. that is why i work in construction/development. i am an executive assistant. i don't just do reg office type work, i have to know how to read blueprints, deal with architects and owners (which are the biggest bunch of prima donnas at least the ones i am dealing with now) i am finishing up a degree to be a project manager. guys are so much easier to work with, i call my guys at the site my kindergartners lol, they can build a friggin highrise building but cant run a copy machine. lol and my hubby is one of those. i work on the actual jobsite, so i can put my little hardhat on and take walks around the site and stretch my legs. i am very grateful for that. all the guys in the office are very understanding about my problem legs. they answer the phone for me when i have to take a walk. i wish everyone had it as easy at work as i do. the only thing that is rough about my job is my chair, omg i have got to find a new chair. i have been chair hunting for months and still haven't found an office chair that works. i think the reason i get so sleepy at work is that my sleeping pill hasn't quite worn off, but i know why i get sleepy after lunch lol who doesn't after eating want to take a nap!!! to tell you how understanding everyone that i work with is, i had to go out to my tahoe and lay down the other day and one of the other guys did my stuff for me. so i really can't complain on the job front. i wish everyone else had it as easy as i do. like you said jan, sorry this is so long but it is a good thread and i got caught up in it too! hope you all have a nice sunday. its rainy and cruddy here and the wind is blowing like crazy.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

krichwine

Post by krichwine »

I work at a Claim office for an Auto Insurance Co. I pretty much have to stand up and type and talk on the phone because that is the only relief I can get. And when I am sitting, I feel like I am all over the place in my chair. A lot of times I sit on my legs. That seems to help until they fall asleep.

ctravel12

your career and rls

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Krichwine Welcome to this board. I am so sorry about you having rsl. You will find that this is a wonderful and supportive group. Have you seen a dr regarding rls? I sure hope that you find some good meds that can give you relief. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. There is a good forum called New to RLS "Managing RLS" has some real good infor. It is certainly well worth reading. I hope that you have a nice restful day and evening. Until I found this board, I was really a mess. They actually saved me and now am doing much better and hope to continue do so. Now I want to be able to offer support to anyone that needs it. If you like hugs how about if I send you one in cyberspace ((((((((hugs))))))))
Charlene
Taking one day at a time