6 weeks with no symptoms

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
KarinReno

6 weeks with no symptoms

Post by KarinReno »

The title is a bit misleading, but I have been without symptoms for that long.
6 weeks ago I fell down the stairs in my house and broke my tibia.
I had surgery to place a rod and 4 pins and have been living on pain meds.
I've been pretty depressed lately, mostly due to having to stay in the house immobile for so long and partially due to the pain meds I'm sure.
But I was laughing with my husband the first few weeks because I said I found the cure to RLS, you just have to throw yourself down the stairs.

I hope you all are well and having good holidays!

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

so sorry for you injury.hey do you thinkyour pain meds are helping with the RLS?
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

ctravel12

six weeks with no symptoms

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Karin, I am sorry about your accident. I am happy that you are doing good with the rls. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

msrearick

Post by msrearick »

There must be something connected with the anesthesia that relieves the symptoms of rls. My symptoms also went away after I had a c-section, but I was breast feeding and I thought it had to do with that. But then I had a hysterectomy and the symptoms were gone for a few months after that, but nevertheless, they came back.
I think there could be a connection, even with the breastfeeding, a hormonal connection.
Unfortunately now, 3 years after my last surgery, my RLS is wose than ever, I have it in my arms and legs, and it starts as early as 2 in the afternoon and just increases as the day goes on. I am currently taking 3 mg of requip, sometimes twice a day.
Mary

ctravel12

6 weeks with no symptons

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Mary
Welcome to this site. How long have you been taking requip? It sounds like you may be augmenting (having rls anytime of the day and could be painful)

I also was on Requip and started at 2mg and finally got down to 1 mg but it was still augmenting. I finally found a neurologist and he weaned me off of requip and am now taking 1mg of clonazapem and so far is working good.

I know other members will post and give you good advise. There is a sticky post on augmenting. I believe that it is in the forum called New to RLS. Hope that this helps you.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing. This is a wonderful and supportive group.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

KarinReno

Post by KarinReno »

Yes the pain meds help, but that's already known. I've been taking percocet. 2 tablets every 4 hours. That's alot and I don't recommend it to anyone looking to relieve RLS. 1 before bed would be ok and probably work too.

Prior to my accident the water cure was still working for me. I just have to drink at least 32 oz of water 4 hours before bed. Sure you have to get up to pee but it's better then the other alternative.

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

Could be the perc's are just a part of your answer.
I take Klonopin(clonazapem) HS
Ultram 2 at bedtime and up to 2 more during the day,i've found one little twitch or bug like feeling and i need to jump on it right away or it just goes bonkers.
As a 3rd back up i may take Niquil.
I sleep like a baby!
I also take my meds a couple of hours before bedtime.
Brenda

msrearick

Post by msrearick »

Charlene, thanks for your nice welcome.
I started on requip about 1 1/2 years ago. Back then, 0.25mg was enough. Then about 6 weeks later, my Dr. upped it to .5, and told me to keep upping it as needed until I reached 1mg. Well, that was probably only a few months later. This past summer, she made me an appointment with a neurologist, and he put me on the 3mg. He ordered me some tests, such as an emg and a cervical spine mri, which will be done the middle of December. Then I go back to see him in January. You are right, I am definately augmenting, and I told my Doctor that in the summer, and she agreed. But she encouraged me to keep taking it, thinking things might be worse without it. She doesn't want me to try any of the other meds that are recommended, and thats why she referred me to the neuro doc. She admits this is a field she is not to up on.
I have signed up for one of the clinical studies offered by John Hopkins, but I haven't heard from them yet.
Anyways, thanks for the encouragement.
Mary

ctravel12

6 weeks with no symptoms

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Mary, I am more than happy to give you words of encouragement. The only thing that worries me is that the longer you are on requip and you are still augmenting it may be permanent. I am not trying to scare you, but I was on requip for about maybe 6 months and I got off right away. Like I said my neurologist weaned me off of it and am now on 1mg of clonazapem and so far is working for me. You certainly do not want to go off any meds cold turkey. I did and believe it was scarey.

I know I had mentioned that my neurologist weaned me off of requip. Is this the neurologist that told you to up your meds on Requip? I am not trying to tell you what to do, but I know what I went through and you have been on them for 1-1/2 years. How come they do not want you to try any other type of meds? I know they have Mirapex that has been FDA approved; however some of the members have had the side effects of augmenting. I know for sure that what works for one may not work for another person. I do not have any knowledge of medical, but just learned alot from reading the old and new posts here on the board.

I know that it is hard to know what to take as sometimes you will have to take a cocktail of meds to see what works for you. Please keep us posted on what the dr says about the test in Dec. and if you hear from John Hopkins.

This is a wonderful group as we really do care. We are like one large family and want to welcome you to it.

Mary, also look in the New to RLS "Managing RLS" as there is one on there for the Mayo Clinic Algorithim which has some interesting articles. It may be wise to also copy some of this info and take it to your dr. There is also a site you can look at rlshelp.org.

I hope that I am not throwing too much your way but do not want you to be miserable and to have your quality of life back that you so deserve.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Have a good day and hope that you are feeling much better.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

msrearick

Post by msrearick »

Charlene
I did go through and read alot about augmenting after I sent my message yesterday and found some interesting stuff, so I printed it off and hopefully will be able to get them to my family Dr. since I don't see my neuro dr. till January. I did hear from John Hopkins today, and I am set up for a phone interview next Monday. If I am accepted for this study, I have to go off of my meds for a week prior, and then spend a week at the medical center. I am really afraid I will go absolutely bonkers without something to calm my rls while I am off of my requip. But after reading some of the other posts yesterday, people have said that they have relief after they go off of requip. I can only pray that that will be the case for me.
Anyways, I'll try to keep you posted, and in the meantime, I can only take one day at a time and thank the Lord for getting me through each day.
Mary

ctravel12

6 weeks with no symptoms

Post by ctravel12 »

Mary
I will also keep you in my prayers that all goes well with you when you are off of the meds. John Hopkins is this a sleep study, if so, I also had a sleep study and they said that I could still take my meds (which was requip at that time) but I am sure they want to see how you are reacting without any meds..

Mary for that week, try taking hot baths just before going to bed as that did help me and calmed my rls. I know other members will post and give you some good sound advise and I know that God will get you through this.

Thanks for posting me and letting me know how you are doing.

I will not be on my computer this weekend but will be back on Sunday night so do not stop posting. Talking about it has helped me alot. I am glad that you are also reading some of the other posts and glad that you copied the Mayo Clinic Algorithim.

Hold on tight my friend as it will be fine for you. We all be with you all the way mentally and spiritually.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Mary

You really have a tough time ahead of you, but--as Charlene said--we're here for you. Please let us know how everything went. You know, Mary, everyone reacts differently to meds, even when going off of them. So, it may not be as bad as you anticipate.

Please let us know how the study went--how you did. We all care, here. Very much!

Hugs
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

that is why i can't possibly do a study at johns hopkins even though i am not too far from it, no way i could get through a week of work with no meds, no way!

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

I'm gonna brag here and tell you all i live less than 3 miles from Hopkins Bayview, i've seen Dr.E and had a sleep study there!
Brenda

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

Hi all! Just a piece of info for you, sugbrendas-- Nyquil contains a ton of alcohol and diphenhydramine (benedryl), both of which have been shown to worsen RLS. Do you find that your symptoms are worse the next day after taking that?
Josh